What to purchase to upgrade the factory stereo on 17 hatchback lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic LX
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic hatchback LX the factory stereo with speakers sounds horrible but I would like to keep the head unit and replace the speakers and maybe an amp and a small sub would that improve the sound ?can anyone suggest what to get
Sponsored

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic hatchback LX the factory stereo with speakers sounds horrible but I would like to keep the head unit and replace the speakers and maybe an amp and a small sub would that improve the sound ?can anyone suggest what to get
If you want to go the cheap route, I would suggest just replacing the speakers. However, if you want to add an amp, you will benefit from getting a DSP (like a JL Audio Fix 86) that will correct any factory signal processing that's going to the speakers. Maybe just add a small powered sub to give it more substance?

I too think the stock HU and speakers are awful. I just spent $1400 on a complete install and I'm extremely happy.

HondaBurns

First Name
Adrian Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport HB
If you want to go the cheap route, I would suggest just replacing the speakers. However, if you want to add an amp, you will benefit from getting a DSP (like a JL Audio Fix 86) that will correct any factory signal processing that's going to the speakers. Maybe just add a small powered sub to give it more substance?

I too think the stock HU and speakers are awful. I just spent $1400 on a complete install and I'm extremely happy.
What you get as a hu? And does your talk button on steering wheel work with your head unit?

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What you get as a hu? And does your talk button on steering wheel work with your head unit?
I kept the stock HU and bought the JL Audio Fix86 DSP unit. It takes the speaker outputs and flattens out the signal. Then I use the Fix86 10-band EQ to adjust the sound, before it goes into two amps.

I think I'm going to wait a bit, until they make better HU that has CarPlay, thats easily compatible with our car, and cheaper lol. My car sounds fantastic now though.

HondaBurns

First Name
Adrian Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I kept the stock HU and bought the JL Audio Fix86 DSP unit. It takes the speaker outputs and flattens out the signal. Then I use the Fix86 10-band EQ to adjust the sound, before it goes into two amps.

I think I'm going to wait a bit, until they make better HU that has CarPlay, thats easily compatible with our car, and cheaper lol. My car sounds fantastic now though.
I have to ask, why do you believe there will be a better, more compatible hu that's also cheaper? That seems improbable lol

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have to ask, why do you believe there will be a better, more compatible hu that's also cheaper? That seems improbable lol
There are lot of HU out there with resistive touch screens, but not to many capacitive ones. Also, with the combination of having 4v outputs are very rare and expensive. I've also read that most haven't figured out a way to get the rear view camera working the way it should with the 3 different views. And Bluetooth mic loses functionality. The HU I've seen also seem so sunken in to the dash. I guess, all those things are important to me and I'm not willing to change out HU yet, until there's a better option for me.

HondaBurns

First Name
Adrian Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are lot of HU out there with resistive touch screens, but not to many capacitive ones. Also, with the combination of having 4v outputs are very rare and expensive. I've also read that most haven't figured out a way to get the rear view camera working the way it should with the 3 different views. And Bluetooth mic loses functionality. The HU I've seen also seem so sunken in to the dash. I guess, all those things are important to me and I'm not willing to change out HU yet, until there's a better option for me.
I heard the blue tooth speak button loses function as well.

But my thinking with that is, it's not very functional on lx/sport hu's from the factory. All it does is make a call(hopefully), it doesn't have any other function than that.

I understand your need for the different screen resistance though
Sponsored