Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
Hey guys what’s up. Hope you all had a great holiday and have a great new year.

I am currently wondering what to do to my car next.

I am a novice when It comes to modding a car and I want to know your advice.

First off. I have a 2019, Civic SI Sedan with 5K miles on it.

So far, I have the following installed:
- PRL Intake with a street maf
- Prl catted Downpipe and front pipe
- MAP full race exhaust
- Tuned to Map 3 (24.5 psi) on Two Step Performance tune via ktuner platform

I obviously need a custom dyno tune to incorporate the new power from all the new performance parts.

However I need your advice and knowledge to let me know if I should do anything with the engine, or transmission if power is getting too much.

My one friend that is in to cars a bit says I should definitely upgrade my flywheel.

I really want to lower the car and I’m interested but I don’t know about that and how I should do it.

Ive seen springs, coil overs, coil overs with Damper delete?

Im wondering what I should use for lowering and what’s the best at different price points and what you have done and what has or has not worked for you.

I do live in New York where It snows so adjustable coil overs is where I’ve been leaning but don’t know where to begin with the expansive market.

I want to get wheels as well but that is a huge market as well and comes with so many questions but people say to drop the car first and then you can find wheels and tires to fit in the new space.

Give me your knowledge pleaseeee thank you!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Braiton

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
How does what I want to do with the car make me choose springs/coil overs?

I want to lower it, get wheels/tires, f-lip, skirts, or possibly a wide body kit from Thailand or possibly 27won one once they manufacture it (in the works I believe).

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
What you should do is upgrade your clutch and flywheel. Your on the edge of what the clutch can hold right now.

Lower cars are cool until you only have gears 1-3 that are usable. Thats to say clutch before lowering.

OP
OP
Braiton

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
What you should do is upgrade your clutch and flywheel. Your on the edge of what the clutch can hold right now.

Lower cars are cool until you only have gears 1-3 that are usable. Thats to say clutch before lowering.
Clutch and flywheel?

Any recommendations? And how much should labor be roughly.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Clutch and flywheel?

Any recommendations? And how much should labor be roughly.
Yes both clutch and flywheel. Each kit ill recommend come with both.
I reccomend the type r retro fit. Its a oem honda flywheel and clutch upgrade from the type r made to fit the civic si. This is the best and most expensive option.

Both come with single mass flywheels. The act is unproven so remember that when making a decision, may wanna see how they hold up in others cars before dropping 1k on it.

The type r is more exspensive but, once you have it you can get replacement parts at any dealership. Also it keeps oem feel and can hold up too around 500hp

Act clutches just came out with a few offerings. Only a few guys have installed them but there are good reports. This is much cheaper

Act : https://www.advancedclutch.com/products?car=59-1822-2019-5093&clev=0&hs=1

Type R retro:
https://www.naperformanceftw.com/ctr-clutch-retro/10thgen-si-hatchback-clutch-and-flywheel-kit

Last edited:

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also, i would not buy a spec, action clutch, or clutch masters brand clutch or flywheel.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I reccomend the type r retro fit. Its a oem honda flywheel and clutch upgrade from the type r made to fit the civic si. This is the best and most expensive option.

Both come with single mass flywheels. The act is unproven so remember that when making a decision, may wanna see how they hold up in others cars before dropping 1k on it.

The type r is more exspensive but, once you have it you can get replacement parts at any dealership. Also it keeps oem feel and can hold up too around 500hp

Act clutches just came out with a few offerings. Only a few guys have installed them but there are good reports. This is much cheaper

Act : https://www.advancedclutch.com/products?car=59-1822-2019-5093&clev=0&hs=1

Type R retro:
https://www.naperformanceftw.com/ctr-clutch-retro/10thgen-si-hatchback-clutch-and-flywheel-kit
I LOL every time i hear a reply like this,

if an engine is modified to the point of a clutch not being able to handle the extra HP, that means your tranny won't be able to handle that extra HP either,

no point in beefing up a clutch, unless you beef up the tranny at the same time,

your just moving the point of weakness from one item to the next,
Thats the game of modifying. It is what it is. Fortunately these trannies seem to do alright.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I LOL every time i hear a reply like this,

if an engine is modified to the point of a clutch not being able to handle the extra HP, that means your tranny won't be able to handle that extra HP either,

no point in beefing up a clutch, unless you beef up the tranny at the same time,

your just moving the point of weakness from one item to the next,
Well, we finally are in agreement on something! But that is part of the game, I'm sure the OP understands the risks. This is part of learning the strength and weaknesses of this platform

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
How does what I want to do with the car make me choose springs/coil overs?

I want to lower it, get wheels/tires, f-lip, skirts, or possibly a wide body kit from Thailand or possibly 27won one once they manufacture it (in the works I believe).
Springs if you want to just lower for looks, it's quick, easy, and cheap. With conservative springs you may not need anything else to correct camber. Coils if you want to track or need to adjust the ride.

edit: With all that you are doing, it might have been wiser to just get the CTR.

Last edited:

laz's SI

First Name
Lazaro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civi SI 4 door/ 2017 F-150
Country flag
Clutch , flywheel and Dyno tune lower

OP
OP
Braiton

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
Thats the game of modifying. It is what it is. Fortunately these trannies seem to do alright.
A guy on YouTube did blow his engine, rebuilt a ‘new’ used engine and then his tranny blew. PhongVLG if you haven’t seen it.

I am very new in modifying like I said. What can I do to beef a tranny up? Pause.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Widebody aside even combining the mod
A guy on YouTube did blow his engine, rebuilt a ‘new’ used engine and then his tranny blew. PhongVLG if you haven’t seen it.

I am very new in modifying like I said. What can I do to beef a tranny up? Pause.
Blowing our trannies isnt common. I follow his build. He used a clutchmaster clutch when his transmission blew up. Stay away from bad clutch and flywheels and you wont blow your transmission.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Labor for clutch and flywheel will range anywhere from $400- $900

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
If you are new to this platform, my only advice...go slow. This is not the high revving K engines of yesterday that were cheap to build, and had higher displacement. Buying new, unless you 1) know what you are doing 2) know someone who knows what they are doing, and 3) are highly adventurous, you are better off just doing some small performance enhancements, like maybe Ktuner with the TSP stage 1 tune, and a quality performance intercooler. I pretty much kept my 2018 Si stock when I owned it except TSP stage 1 tune, a performance exhaust (MISTAKE!!), Acuity shifter Rocker upgrade and a Mishimoto Performance Intercooler. Honestly if I went back in time, I would leave it stock. It's fun to drive stock, and you can pound on it with much less worry.

I would wait until the car is past it's warranty period to start modifying, and only if it's not my daily driver. Than you can slowly build out the motor, clutch and transmission
Sponsored