What to consider when changing to a custom muffler?

zabih107

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I have a 2016 civic EX and it has a single exhaust pipe. I have recently installed AEM cold air intake and I love the throatier engine sound. I wanted to have the exhaust a bit louder as well (not too loud though). I decided to go with a custom muffler. There are so many different types out there. I'm just wondering, what should I consider when buying a custom muffler? Does diameter of stock pipe and custom muffler matter to consider? This is my first car so I have no previous experience or knowledge regarding this. Thanks for any help and advice.
Sponsored

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2016 civic EX and it has a single exhaust pipe. I have recently installed AEM cold air intake and I love the throatier engine sound. I wanted to have the exhaust a bit louder as well (not too loud though). I decided to go with a custom muffler. There are so many different types out there. I'm just wondering, what should I consider when buying a custom muffler? Does diameter of stock pipe and custom muffler matter to consider? This is my first car so I have no previous experience or knowledge regarding this. Thanks for any help and advice.
@zabih107 I have the same car and I went went with a 2.5 inch diameter Flowmaster DBX muffler. The stock exhaust pipe is 2 inches diameter by the way. https://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-12414310-DBX-Muffler-Moderate/dp/B004TRXNEA

OP
OP
zabih107

zabih107

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
@zabih107 I have the same car and I went went with a 2.5 inch diameter Flowmaster DBX muffler. The stock exhaust pipe is 2 inches diameter by the way. https://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-12414310-DBX-Muffler-Moderate/dp/B004TRXNEA
Oh that's nice! How does it sound? I hate anything that would sound like a fart canon. Also, since the muffler u got has different diameter than the stock, I'm assuming diameters dont matter? Also, the "universal fit" mufflers SHOULD theoriaticaly fit any car right? Last but not least, should I expect a different muffler sound than other who have stock intake as I have the AEM intake?

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh that's nice! How does it sound? I hate anything that would sound like a fart canon. Also, since the muffler u got has different diameter than the stock, I'm assuming diameters dont matter? Also, the "universal fit" mufflers SHOULD theoriaticaly fit any car right? Last but not least, should I expect a different muffler sound than other who have stock intake as I have the AEM intake?
@zabih107 It sounds nice, deep and mellow. It's a very mild exhaust for commuting but when you get on it you can hear it. The shop I took it to replaced the stock resonator with the flowmaster muffler and then did a straight pipe back to an exhaust tip. I like it and I'm sure the dealership would keep the custom exhaust on it if I traded it in because it's not obnoxious and it looks stock instead of having the muffler hang down under your rear bumper. http://www.civicx.com/threads/exhaust-system.8815/#post-149210 I have pictures of my setup in that thread.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just so you're aware, most dealerships will knock your trade value down if you try to trade a car in with an aftermarket exhaust, as they will most likely put a stock system back on. Also depends on how old, warranty, etc. The only way for a dealer to sell your trade as a certified vehicle is for the car to be all stock.

As far as aftermarket exhausts, why not wait for a while until the aftermarket catches up and see what kind of offerings they have before you get some, possibly unreputable, muffler shop to put an exhaust on your car with a muffler meant for a muscle car? Just my opinion coming from 3 previous civics.
Sponsored

Last edited: