What the f#$k?!? What could have caused this?

OP
OP
Z06Chris

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have a new concern. Do you guys think it's OK to drive in the rain like this? I don't think it punctured the intercooler but u never know. It's supposed to rain for the next week here. Hopefully not heavy rain.

How does everyone's boost gauge read at idle and spirited driving up to like 5k rpm (I'm still breaking engine in)??

Trying to see if I have time to wait for hks intercoolers to come back in stock (mid June) or if I should replace this asap.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Z06Chris

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm at - 10 idle and 21 when I full throttle up to 4.5k rpm. Car feels like it's running strong. Hopefully there isn't a small leak

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Rain ok. High boost isn’t with a hole in the core like that. Baby it with low throttle until you get a replacement.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
as long as the core isn't punctured you should be fine.

you'd feel a boost leak if it was so i'm sure it's not punctured.

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
From the damage done to the intercooler, you are very lucky it didn't hit the hood or windshield.

SpraykwoN

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec and looking for a Civic Type-R
Country flag
That blows but be happy it didn't hit anything painted lol. My wife's brand new CRV got drilled by some road debris. Turns out it hit dead center on the front license plate and nothing was damaged but that lol. Whatever it was, it was huge and she said she heard a bang while driving on the 5 freeway out here in Cali. She got very lucky.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I have a new concern. Do you guys think it's OK to drive in the rain like this? I don't think it punctured the intercooler but u never know. It's supposed to rain for the next week here. Hopefully not heavy rain.

How does everyone's boost gauge read at idle and spirited driving up to like 5k rpm (I'm still breaking engine in)??

Trying to see if I have time to wait for hks intercoolers to come back in stock (mid June) or if I should replace this asap.
I'd imagine a boost leak would be noticeable and might even throw a code. Fwiw I have driven my car with a damaged intercooler and haven't noticed anything though I have been gentle with it. I wouldn't worry about water as I'd think the air would be escaping through any puncture so the positive pressure would make it hard for water to get it (though I am not positive). Your intercooler appears a bit more damaged but the damage is similar enough where I think youd be fine until replaced...just take it easy until replaced. Attached pic of my intercooler for comparison.

Honda Civic 10th gen What the f#$k?!? What could have caused this? 20190503_140539

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I'm inclined to agree with HondaFan2017... the wheel bearing is greased pretty well, seemingly without junk that should have stuck to it, to have been road debris. It's worth hitting up the dealer, and to also check any other photos if you took any before leaving the dealer... or if they took any for that matter.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
Seems like if a wheel bearing had come out of someone nearby while you were driving you would have seen an accident or sparks flying in addition to hearing one hell of an impact.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I mean, all we can really do is 'armchair' what happened. I think it's probably a good idea to at least broach the topic with the dealer and see what happens, just so you aren't out of pocket for the damage (or be faced with an insurance claim, depending on cost).

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed a mark on the intercooler from a distance. I get close to inspect and something from inside the engine bay fucked it up real good lol.

There's no damage to the grill so it isn't a result of me hitting something. This shit better be under warranty.

20190507_135017.jpg

20190507_134621.jpg

20190507_134616.jpg
If you picked it up yesterday, remember there is a 48 hour cancellation under federal law. So they need to make good on it - or you can return it. I know the dealer does not want to deal with that...