What temperature does the radiator fan come on?

yunggunz846

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
What temperature does the radiator fan come on? I drive an Si if that matters. I searched but I found nothing. My ECT was getting up to 220 in traffic and I want the fan to come on around 200 and cutoff at 190. I can't seem to find the setting in Ktuner, not even sure if it is an option. I know the s300 you can change it.
Sponsored

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
What temperature does the radiator fan come on? I drive an Si if that matters. I searched but I found nothing. My ECT was getting up to 220 in traffic and I want the fan to come on around 200 and cutoff at 190. I can't seem to find the setting in Ktuner, not even sure if it is an option. I know the s300 you can change it.
IF I remember correctly, even my 600cc motorcycle from 2001, the fan came on at I think 210 or 215. warning light was 225 or 230.

Couple things, higher temp increases efficiency as less energy is “wasted” going to the cooling system. But it can slightly reduce peak power because you can’t run as aggressive of igniton timing without predetonation. On my ‘06 BMW 325i, it had an electric water pump and ran hot for economy when cruisng and ran cooler when you accelerated hard. They replaced the temp gauge with a fuel economy gauge because it would have freaked out most poeople seeing wild swing in engine temp while running. Unfortunately the water pump and thermostat life expectancy was only around 2000 hours.

That being said, on a turbocharged engine, that extra heat mean more exhaust energy so a higher temp might still result in more power.

On top of that, the fan might consume 200watts, so there’s a measureable impact to economy when idling or stop and go traffic.

Do you know what temp the thermostat is fully open?

Honda engineers are not stupid, they set the temperature for a reason.

Maypep_Necro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
I'm not sure about what temperature, but the fan seems to have 2 levels. (K20C2), Off, Level1 and level2. I do own a 2016 and first time I heard Level2 fan was when it hit about 110°f outside.

billyalice

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport MT, 1990 Celica All-Trac, 70 W-31
Country flag
I'm a little late to this discussion but I wanted to indicate what I have experienced in my 2018 Hatch sport 6 MSP. I have a Scan Gauge which provides coolant temp in parameter CT1, and the return coolant temp in parameter CT2. I have driven the car over 65,000 miles and noted that the coolant temp is almost always 170-180 deg f. It goes to the higher 180 temp when driving in positive boost. It appears the thermostat opens at 170 deg f. The CT2 temp shows how efficient the radiator is as it displays the return coolant temp after being cooled by the radiator.
So this week, I decided to take the climate control AC to Off since the outside temp was below 50 deg f. Much to my surprise, the coolant temp was seen at 205 and the return coolant was also at 200 deg f. I checked under the hood and noted that the radiator fan was not running. Once I switched the AC back on, the radiator fan immediately started running and the engine temperature immediately began dropping and the return coolatnt temp also dropped dramatically.
So it appears that when the climate control is in auto or the AC is switched on, the radiator fan will operate and the running engine temp will operate in the 170-180 deg f range. I have been driving the car for 2 years now and just noted this anamoly. So now I wonder when the fan will turn on since it cannot cool itself below the return coolant temperature. I assume nominal operation is 170 -180 deg f.

Anyone have an answer?
Sponsored