What RPM/Boost Do You Use From A Stop?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
Hi everyone, I have a 2016 EX-T and often wonder, am I starting too slow from a stop or too fast? Generally I am light on the gas just to get it moving from a stop then ease it to about 2000 rpm ish / 2 bars on the boost gauge to get to 60 km/h (around 45 mph).

How do you guys get going from a stop? Do you ever feel slow compared to the other naturally aspirated cars behind you from a stop?

Post your RPM / bars on the boost gauge!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
I drive the same way as you. Honestly the only people that pass me are those jacking up insurance premiums in my area.
Thanks your your reply. Do you think 2k is a bit much? I feel like that's where the engine starts to get a bit growly.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i shift at 3000 rpm and almost half boost all the time from a stop...it picks up real quick and when i get my speed that i want i let off boost and averaging 38-40 mpg all the time

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
i shift at 3000 rpm and almost half boost all the time from a stop...it picks up real quick and when i get my speed that i want i let off boost and averaging 38-40 mpg all the time
Darn, isn't that bad for the car?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Darn, isn't that bad for the car?
If he's still getting a good average MPG it sounds like the turbo is providing the efficiency that Honda designed it for. These motors would be worthless without the turbo.

On a related note, there is a unit of pressured called a "bar" and it is equal to about 14.5psi. When you said "2 bar" I thought you were talking about 29psi until I ready that you mean "bars on the boost gauge". Ha

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shift when you feel you need to. It's all dependent on traffic.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Thanks your your reply. Do you think 2k is a bit much? I feel like that's where the engine starts to get a bit growly.
I have the cvt so I think it's a good amount. However it's near impossible to keep the rpm below 2000 on the highway unless you drive below 110km/hr.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
I have the cvt so I think it's a good amount. However it's near impossible to keep the rpm below 2000 on the highway unless you drive below 110km/hr. But tech

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
If he's still getting a good average MPG it sounds like the turbo is providing the efficiency that Honda designed it for. These motors would be worthless without the turbo.

On a related note, there is a unit of pressured called a "bar" and it is equal to about 14.5psi. When you said "2 bar" I thought you were talking about 29psi until I ready that you mean "bars on the boost gauge". Ha

Hmm there's no way I'd get good mpg taking the boost meter halfway up everytime I started from a stop. Normally I get mid 5 mpg. It would probably go up to mid 7s or even 8 if I drove that hard, which is way above the fuel economy spec and thus can't be within the design specifications Honda had in mind, right?

Haha, nope nothing so precise as pressure in units.