vitooooo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VIC
Country flag
I see a lot of people using synthetic 0w20 but not all 0w20 oil is SN plus rated for turbo charged motors. Making sure your oil is SN plus the oil is manufactured for turbo charged motors to prevent pre-detonation in the combustion chamber in your car.

If you believe that marketing gimmick, then go ahead and buy SN

at the end of the day, it's not going to matter, or change anything
Sponsored

ShaneAnigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
5W-30 because I don't drive it in the winter and I'm not concerned with the tiny amount of fuel mileage benefit you get from 0W-20. I was firmly in the "use the oil specified in the manual" camp, but since the European manual for the same engine says 5W-30 is also acceptable, it's not like I'm living dangerously or anything.

As for brand, any name-brand synthetic will be sufficient, and even some off-brands like Amazon Basic and Kirkland have been tested and found to be good.

vitooooo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VIC
Country flag
5W-30 because I don't drive it in the winter
I have never understood this, and still do not,

5w30 is not doing anything more for your engine that 0w20 can not do

thicker oil does not lubricate better, it's actually quite the opposite

Mufasa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag

Frictional heat do be real

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX

It most certainly is. OW20 is strictly for fuel consumption marketing purposes. The engine has less friction (note that this refers to friction created by the lubricant and not the engine components upon each other) with 0W20 and, hence, slightly better (about 1% to 2%) fuel economy. A 0W30 or 5W30 will present slightly more lubricant friction but will definitely protect components better. Note that we are not talking about jumping to 15W50 as this would risk that oil wouldn't get where it should quickly enough, thereby causing harm due to the higher viscosity.

ShaneAnigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag

0W flows better at freezing temps and below, but my CTR is in my garage hooked up to a battery tender when it's that cold so I don't need that. 0W-20 promotes better fuel economy but that doesn't interest me either. When hot, 30W oil offers better protection. Do I really need it? Probably not for street use, but it's nice to have, with no negative effects besides fuel economy, but again I don't care.

But again, the F20C1 is the same engine everywhere in the world, and if the rest of the world's manual says 5W-30 is OK in everything but sub-freezing conditions, there we go. The engineers who wrote that manual have forgotten more about cars than I could ever hope to know, so I'll trust their judgement.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
0W flows better at freezing temps and below, but my CTR is in my garage hooked up to a battery tender when it's that cold so I don't need that. 0W-20 promotes better fuel economy but that doesn't interest me either. When hot, 30W oil offers better protection. Do I really need it? Probably not for street use, but it's nice to have, with no negative effects besides fuel economy, but again I don't care.

But again, the F20C1 is the same engine everywhere in the world, and if the rest of the world's manual says 5W-30 is OK in everything but sub-freezing conditions, there we go. The engineers who wrote that manual have forgotten more about cars than I could ever hope to know, so I'll trust their judgement.
Yes. And not only does the manual in countries out of North America clearly state 0W30 or 5W30 as being authorised, it also clearly states that 0W20 should be used for fuel economy purposes and that if you DO use 0W20, it should be the Honda Type II oil and not the regular 0W20 that dealerships use for Jazz/Fits and CRV's.

xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you believe that marketing gimmick, then go ahead and buy SN

at the end of the day, it's not going to matter, or change anything
marketing gimmick?? Your a joke!

Half the people on here have never heard of it..hahaha

and what commercial have you seen that advertises this SN Plus??

Yeah science is a joke..why use oil? Use cool-aide instead it's not going to matter...

vitooooo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VIC
Country flag
0W-20 promotes better fuel economy but that doesn't interest me either. When hot, 30W oil offers better protection. Do I really need it? Probably not
so your choosing to waste gas for zero benefit? :doh:

Your driving a 4 cylinder honda civic, the engine is a glorified sewing machine,

0w20, 5w30 ain't gonna matter a damn

Last edited:

ShaneAnigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
so your choosing to waste gas for zero benefit? :doh:

Your driving a 4 cylinder honda civic, the engine is a glorified sewing machine,

0w20, 5w30 ain't gonna matter a damn
I save enough fuel already, because I work from home and don't commute every day.

You are correct about one thing though: which oil I'm using doesn't matter to anyone else but me, and yet here you are commenting.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Manual and oil cap say 0W-20 so I put in synthetic 0W-20.
Sponsored