• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Are you sticking with Stock @ 0W-20 or changing things up like me with 0W-30 Amsoil Signature Series.

This is just a poll to see what CivicX are using.
Anyone who deliberately deviates from the spec is just plain nuts. Whatever might be going on outside the scope ( place and / or time etc. ) simply doesn't apply. Does anyone really think they know better than Honda engineers who designed and build these engines ?! 0W-30 is simply wrong and certainly NOT changing up.
Sponsored

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
Anyone who deliberately deviates from the spec is just plain nuts. Whatever might be going on outside the scope ( place and / or time etc. ) simply doesn't apply. Does anyone really think they know better than Honda engineers who designed and build these engines ?! 0W-30 is simply wrong and certainly NOT changing up.
0w-30 is not out of spec outside USA.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Has anyone found an aftermarket oil drain bolt washer which offers better performance over the Honda supplied washer?

I'm concerned about how this washer can affect the performance and longevity of my LX.

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If someone can step forward with UOA's showing superior wear protection with 0w-20s, I'll buy it. These thin oils will certainly provide adequate protection for the average end user, but may not be ideal for every situation. 0w-30 is a decent alternative, providing similar cold start pumpability, but a bit more operating temp viscosity; this would be beneficial with aggressive driving, fuel dilution etc.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I am new to this forum and have been running Honda's vehicles since the early 80's. Perform my own maintenance and live in a climate where the temp's vary from sub-freezing to over 90 degrees. Primarily used conventional Castrol GTX 5w-30 oil in my '03 Civic EX (VTEC), changing oil and filter (Honda) every ~ 5K miles. With 265 K miles it runs well, with (1) valve tappet adjustment at ~100K miles and a head gasket replacement at 220K miles (valve train looked clean). Burns about one quart every 5K miles. Am I missing something here regarding oil viscosity, UOA, and now the "required" 0W-20 viscosity oil, is MPG ratings the priority ? Is my '17 Civic EX a different breed ?

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Am I missing something here regarding oil viscosity, UOA, and now the "required" 0W-20 viscosity oil, is MPG ratings the priority ? Is my '17 Civic EX a different breed ?
I think fleet averages for mpgs of vehicles sold in the US are the reason for these thinner oils.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy
I think tight tolerances as the reason for xw-20 oils is a bunch of BS. Yes, engines today have tighter, more consistent tolerances than 40-50 years ago, but piston ring, skirt and bearing clearances still have to allow for thermal expansion, oil flow etc. My 2016 KTM 690 has a "tight" engine, but the manufacturer specs 10w-60. Sub-freezing starts are a non-issue, because it's in storage :), but it's a stressed engine compared to our cars.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I think fleet averages for mpgs of vehicles sold in the US are the reason for these thinner oils.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy
I think tight tolerances as the reason for xw-20 oils is a bunch of BS. Yes, engines today have tighter, more consistent tolerances than 40-50 years ago, but piston ring, skirt and bearing clearances still have to allow for thermal expansion, oil flow etc. My 2016 KTM 690 has a "tight" engine, but the manufacturer specs 10w-60. Sub-freezing starts are a non-issue, because it's in storage :), but it's a stressed engine compared to our cars.
I agree, I believe the tolerances are more consistent . . . and with improved metallurgy/surface finishing to reduce wear and friction aids oils in lubricating. Quick build-up in oil pressure is key to cold starts and seems that the thinner oils don't produce higher pressures, only in very cold situations. It appears that the MPG is the guiding force to recommending "thin" oils, excerpt from an article published in the "Wirecutter";
While synthetic oil can improve fuel economy, a 2012Consumer Reportsarticle observed that the small mileage boost (about 2 MPG) occurred mostly right after a cold start, and was offset by the higher cost of the oil. “But what’s behind so many makers of ordinary cars requiring expensive synthetic oil in the first place? SAE Fuels and Lubricants Council chairman James Linden says automakers can save between 0.5 and 1 percent on EPA fuel economy tests compared with 5W-20 motor oil. The tests are run starting with a cold engine, so the lower viscosity reduces friction until the engine warms up. Indeed, when Honda first presented us with details about the 2012 CR-V, company engineers emphasized that they had gained 2 mpg in EPA fuel economy ratings mainly by reducing friction in the engine and other mechanical components, not by introducing new technologies like direct fuel injection or continuously variable transmissions.”

Whether you use 0W or 5W or 10W, the determining factors are regular cold starts in very cold climates and extended oil changes. Any deviation from "normal" then the full synthetic, low viscosity matters for extended engine life.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
0w-30 is not out of spec outside USA.
As I said : "Whatever might be going on outside the scope ( place and / or time etc. ) simply doesn't apply ..." If 0W-30 was OK or preferred, then Honda would certainly have included it. Out of spec heavier oils aren't going to get to bearings as well as the proper spec oils. Clearances are probably very tight requiring thinner 0W-20 oil.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
As I said : "Whatever might be going on outside the scope ( place and / or time etc. ) simply doesn't apply ..." If 0W-30 was OK or preferred, then Honda would certainly have included it. Out of spec heavier oils aren't going to get to bearings as well as the proper spec oils. Clearances are probably very tight requiring thinner 0W-20 oil.
Wrong. "tolerance" does not mean the size of clearances. It means the amount of variation.Clearances in the new honda engines are no tighter than clearances in any of the japanese automakers engines have been for the last ten years. The reason 0w20 is specified is in order to conform to the CAFE standards regulations regarding fuel efficiency claims by the automakers. In extremely cold starting conditions honda can legally claim an additional one mile per gallon if 0w20 is in the specification. Nothing to do with engine protection. In warm weather ambient conditions there's no reason not to use 0w30. And it's probably better.

Last edited:

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Wrong. "tolerance" does not mean the size of clearances. It means the amount of variation.Clearances in the new honda engines are no tighter than clearances in any of the japanese automakers engines have been for the last ten years. The reason 0w20 is specified is in order to conform to the CAFE standards regulations regarding fuel efficiency claims by the automakers. In extremely cold starting conditions honda can legally claim an additional one mile per gallon if 0w20 is in the specification. Nothing to do with engine protection. In warm weather ambient conditions there's no reason not to use 0w30. And it's probably better.
I don't know much about oil but I do know that 0w-30 oil would be a little thicker which would make in useful for hot ambient conditions since less chance of degredation correct? If so, then what kind of oil would you recommend for South Florida where the weather is usually always 80+ F. Especially now we're getting 90+ F. In the harshest winter it goes down to about 50 F. I was going to use Mobile 1's Extended Performance OW-20 and I doubt they have that in OW-30 easily available.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I don't know much about oil but I do know that 0w-30 oil would be a little thicker which would make in useful for hot ambient conditions since less chance of degredation correct? If so, then what kind of oil would you recommend for South Florida where the weather is usually always 80+ F. Especially now we're getting 90+ F. In the harshest winter it goes down to about 50 F. I was going to use Mobile 1's Extended Performance OW-20 and I doubt they have that in OW-30 easily available.
In your case, and I am not an oil engineer, don't worry about the first winter weight rating "W" , 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic would be OK. I recently viewed my Honda Civic Owner's Manual regarding Maintenance Under the Hood section and checked the oil specification. Honda "recommends" 0W-20 for all ambient temperature ranges. Safe bet for the cold climates and raises fuel economy.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I agree !

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Just exactly where did I use the term "tolerance"? Could be I've forgotten, but I don't think so. My last statement is only speculation as clearly evidenced by the term "probably" .

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone found an aftermarket oil drain bolt washer which offers better performance over the Honda supplied washer?

I'm concerned about how this washer can affect the performance and longevity of my LX.
I'd go with a JDM washer. After I change the oil with my JDM washer, I also fill the cabin with air from Japan.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
You think engineers write the manual? HA!

0W-20 Is pushed hard in the US only for MPG reasons. You know what's different form the 2000 Accord and 2001? Nothing. But ones manual says 30, the others 20.

You run 20 if you want fractions of a % better MPG. You run 30 if you want better engine protection.
Sponsored