sventhecivic

First Name
Gaetano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic EXT with the stock 17" wheels (pictured below). I'm about due for new tires, so I'm going to get new wheels while I'm at it. I'd like to know what offset other owners like yourselves have chosen when you bought new wheels. In my research, 45mm is the current offset (stock wheels). I love the way the Si wheels look, and their offset is 50mm.

My goal is to have a flush look without any rubbing because my car is my commuter and my only car. If it matters, I'm also going to get 18 x 8 to achieve a slightly wider stance.

So what offset should I look for? 50mm? I'm open to any wheel suggestions as well, share your pics if you have a second ^_^

Thanks ahead of time.

I should also add that the whole +/-, and all too often "45mm" without any symbols, confuses me. Kinda don't know what to believe.

Honda Civic 10th gen What offset should I look for? IMG_0646 2
Sponsored

Last edited:

hc102

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I have a 2020 civic hatch sport with 235/40/18 tires and I have a similar question as well as to what offset to go for since I have no interest in lowering my car.

Zero knowledge on wheels.

Last edited:

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
I should also add that the whole +/-, and all too often "45mm" without any symbols, confuses me. Kinda don't know what to believe.
Offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel. It could reasonably be assumed for any wheel is isn't bolted on backwards that the "45mm" would be +45 as the number goes down it get closer to the centerline of the wheel and vice versa. So all things being equal, a 50mm offset would push the wheel 5mm more INTO the wheel well.

Honda Civic 10th gen What offset should I look for? wheel-offset

I also don't know if the base model wheels are a different width than the Si's because the offset measurement is once again entirely dependent of the wheel width. IE, if the wheel is 10mm wider, but the offset is 5mm higher, the face of the wheel will sit at the same place on both wheels.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if you want a flush look, my wheels are +40mm and i add a 5mm. spacer and it's not quite flush yet but almost...i could use a 10mm or 15mm spacers instead of the 5mm and still use those wheels....so, like i said if you want to fill your wheel wells look for offset around +30mm or +35mm...or get those +45mm but plan a set of 10 or 15mm. spacers for them...or maybe you don't want them to come flush with the body, i don't know :)

+45mm is 5mm further out than say the stock Si or Sport wheels which are +50mm offset...but IMHO while you're at it you might want to select a +35mm wheel instead.

Here this is equivalent to a +35mm wheel, from this angle you can easily judge how it fits together:

Honda Civic 10th gen What offset should I look for? 3

To me personally it's cool like that but i'd like another 5 or 10mm out...might look into a new set of spacers and lugs this spring for them.

Last edited:

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I assume that you will not lower in future and looking for a flush stance with a conservative wider tyre. If yes, you can safely run with 18x8 +35 wrap with 235/40(oem si size). This will give you dead flush with the fender and accuracy reading on the odometer.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I sold my stock Hatchback wheels + tires to a local guy who owned a Sedan.
235/40/R18 tires, and 18x8 +50 wheels.
He put 'em on the same day, and absolutely zero fitment issues.

This is the picture he sent me from that day.
I believe his Sedan was the LX trim (Canadian spec).

Honda Civic 10th gen What offset should I look for? received_286100449055362

OP
OP
sventhecivic

sventhecivic

First Name
Gaetano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
Offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel. It could reasonably be assumed for any wheel is isn't bolted on backwards that the "45mm" would be +45 as the number goes down it get closer to the centerline of the wheel and vice versa. So all things being equal, a 50mm offset would push the wheel 5mm more INTO the wheel well.

wheel-offset.jpg

I also don't know if the base model wheels are a different width than the Si's because the offset measurement is once again entirely dependent of the wheel width. IE, if the wheel is 10mm wider, but the offset is 5mm higher, the face of the wheel will sit at the same place on both wheels.
This was especially helpful. I think the way you broke it down made it click better with my brain. I'm thinking more about backspacing now and what the difference will be like. As per a post below, I think I'm going to research some 30-35mm positives and see what the results are. Thank you!

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
If you care about handling, I'd keep it close to oem spec. Low offset wheels that fit flush aggravate tramlining.

First Name
benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civix
Country flag
Forgive my ignorance as I am rather new to this style of vehicle. What is tramlining?
Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does. The same effect is sometimes called Nibbling.

Sgian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does. The same effect is sometimes called Nibbling.
Thanks Benny. Pretty much the same thing as being stuck in a rut off road.
Sponsored