what no volume knob...big f...in deal....

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
I'm 43yrs old, and find it comical on how often this issue was/is brought up over the release of the 10th gen. when I test drove my vehicle for the first time I had no issue adjusting to the lack of a physical component. in fact I thought the scrolling volume control on the steering wheel was great, and this is my go to in controlling the volume. in this tech savvy world of ours, I guess I'm a little puzzled as what's the big hubbub....hell I don't even have to take my hands off the wheel.
Sponsored

OP
OP

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
nope, simply stated I think it's been blow way out of proportion that's all....

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
And yes, I am complaining about you complaining about other people complaining... But at least I didn't create a new thread for it.
Man you need stop intruding into other people's safe spaces like that. :rofl:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Get rekt son

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
nope, simply stated I think it's been blow way out of proportion that's all....

I agree it was annoying at first but like anything in life you LEARN TO ADAPT.

Thinking back when I was a BlackBerry addict, my first smart phone and it took two upgrades before I got used to touch screen.

I give credit to Honda for trying, my issue with the whole Infotainment is the software. It's so bad that they're recalled it and still seems to be an issue even on the 2017's which is what worries me. How do **** something like this that's so simple?!?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The volume knob thing is such a non-issue. Car mags that drive the car for an hour don't adapt. Owners do.

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
The controls are worse than what's standard without any advantages. I'm sure we could all adapt to a square steering wheel too, doesn't mean it wouldn't be better to have a round one.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
The volume knob thing is such a non-issue. Car mags that drive the car for an hour don't adapt. Owners do.
The very clear consensus is that an intuitive volume control knob (with push on-off) is highly desirable. Sure, if you're forced to do without it and have to mess with some touch screen (while driving !) or steering wheel control only accessible by the driver, then you'll learn to adapt, but never as good as using a knob. Apparently Honda realized all this and have re-introduced the knob in '17s. Most ironically, those that went for the lowest trim in the '16s (LX, like me) got a knob ! I can't tell you how many times my passengers want to adjust the volume and naturally reach for the knob.

Last edited:

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
I'm 43yrs old, and find it comical on how often this issue was/is brought up over the release of the 10th gen. when I test drove my vehicle for the first time I had no issue adjusting to the lack of a physical component. in fact I thought the scrolling volume control on the steering wheel was great, and this is my go to in controlling the volume. in this tech savvy world of ours, I guess I'm a little puzzled as what's the big hubbub....hell I don't even have to take my hands off the wheel.
What happens when your passenger gets or makes a cell call and needs to lower the volume to his choice of level quickly ? (see my previous)

TacoDiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
What happens when your passenger gets or makes a cell call and needs to lower the volume to his choice of level quickly ? (see my previous)
They press the volume down, and then see a mute button and press mute. Or I do the swipe down movement for them on my controls to mute. While, yes, pressing a knob is a more intuitive solution...it's not like it's extremely hard to mute or very hard to know how to do it after the very first time maybe. For me, it's an extremely minor annoyance, and while I would probably prefer a volume knob, I feel some people have made it a much bigger deal than it is, in my opinion.

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I would probably prefer a volume knob, I feel some people have made it a much bigger deal than it is, in my opinion.
I think it's not just because of the minor annoyances/inconveniences that it brings, but the fact that it offers no benefits in return. The arguments always revolve around whether it's "worse than" or "as good as" a volume knob; you never see anyone make the argument that it's BETTER than one.

It's like if they'd decided to swap the position of the gas and brake pedals around(probably not legal). Sure, you could adapt to driving that way, but you'd expect there to not just be complaints about the design change itself, but also about the stupidity of making that change due to zero benefit.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
am i the only one that presses the power button when i want to mute my music?:confused: i also use the swipe method but pressing the power seems faster to me
Sponsored