First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use whatever oil that's cheapest, is 0w-20 (all of which are labeled as full synthetics, save maybe some high mileage blends) and has an API sticker, which is pretty much every oil sold, other than some oils that market thenselves as being better oils but, as I understand use additives that are higher than the allowable contents for some things to get the cert (ie zinc).

Here lately, I've been using Castrol Magnatec. Doing a subscribe and save, it runs me well under $20. Since I have an Odyssey, Civic, F-150 and I do the maintenance on my mother-in-law's Galant... all calling for 5w-20 or 0w-20, it works. I've bought others (Mobil, Supertec, etc) when they're on sale. For standard OCIs, I wouldn't be too choosy. I use a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. While some of Frams filters are junk and I used to never use them, and leaned towards Purolators, it reviewed favorably over at BITOG a few years back and is also aggressively priced. Again for a standard OCI (around 5000-10000 miles) you're not asking that much from your fluids/filters. We're not even required to do filters but every other time anymore... same as the J35 in the Odyssey.

If you want to do more/spend more, so be it. Following the maintenance schedule is seen by many as 'doing the minimum'... but it's what is required. Anything more is extra and, IMO unnecessary. If it makes folks feel better thinking their car is somehow better by having a more aggressive maintenance schedule that exceeds the manufacturer requirements... if it's good for their soul and makes them feel good, then I'm sure it's worth it to them. In the whole scheme of things, it doesn't cost that much more to stick with a classic 3000 mile routine and swap filters every change and send off for UOAs for fun/serious knowledge and trending... I just don't care enough to do more than what's 'good enough'. I don't sit around and worry whether the cheaper oil I'm using is causing a slightly greater bearing wear from internal wear on an engine I'll never tear down... because it's something I'll never know and don't care about (and deep down, I just don't think what brand oil you use matters). You do whatever you feel is best... though I'd recommend not exceeding the MM mileage while under warranty for warranty's sake. Until the next oil thread...
Sponsored

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I use the walmart synthetic as well, no issues for 5+ years on multiple vehicles. Its certified the same as others.

cwcaesar

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I switched to Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W20 rated for 20,000 miles. I put 10K miles on my car in 3 months with 90% highway driving. Now that I have over 30K miles on the car, I figure the break-in is complete and I wanted the longer change interval so I didn't have to change the oil every 3 months and can now make it every six months.

mekrto

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
We utilize Motul 0W-20 in all of our cars.
Is that what you run with the 27won turbo? I recently purchased your turbo and am installing it this weekend. Just want to make sure I am on the same boat as you here!
It’s time to retire my free dealership oil changing days

OP
OP
Neps18Si

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is that what you run with the 27won turbo? I recently purchased your turbo and am installing it this weekend. Just want to make sure I am on the same boat as you here!
I say you will be fine running Motul in yours...great oil. I am on the edge for Motul or Amsoil.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, we run the 300V 0W-20 in all of our cars. We also run an oil cooler to keep things in check. Our cars are heavy on R&D so they get beat on a bit. SI did 25 dyno pulls on Sunday alone testing product.

mekrto

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Yes, we run the 300V 0W-20 in all of our cars. We also run an oil cooler to keep things in check. Our cars are heavy on R&D so they get beat on a bit. SI did 25 dyno pulls on Sunday alone testing product.
Thanks for the quick response vince!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Isn't Motul 300V racing oil? I may be wrong, but I read that you should not use racing oil in street applications. As you beat your cars on the dyno, that use would be acceptable, but for everyday use racing oil does not contain the detergents and dispersants that would be needed for normal driving and short drives where water and fuel accumulates

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neps18Si

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reading everyones post and knowing this discussion has been brought up many times, but in the end we all love to talk smack to each other on what oil to use or what we are running and what is best for our cars. To me its how we think and what makes us feel good about what oil we use for our engines.
@BoostedSiCoupe he has no problem with Walmart SUPERTECH and feels comfortable using it for his car and that all fine because if he feels tat way I won't argue with that just like if i want to spend the money on Amsoil i don't anyone telling me i am throwing away my money because it my money and not yours right? I myself turned out to be the guy that researches oil brands an quality. I am not the guy that says oil is oil lol, so i go with what my researching leaves me at and then make a decision.

Matt2525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe
I use either mobil 1 full synthetic or Honda full synthetic. Where I live I get 5 quarts of Honda 0w-20 full synthetic for $42 from my dealership, no filter included. Or I get 5 quarts of Mobil 1 AND a filter for $30 from advanced. I always pay more and get the K&N filter for $10 extra though.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Isn't Motul 300V racing oil? I may be wrong, but I read that you should not use racing oil in street applications. As you beat your cars on the dyno, that use would be acceptable, but for everyday use racing oil does not contain the detergents and dispersants that would be needed for normal driving and short drives where water and fuel accumulates
Yes it is technically a racing oil. But we use it for a few reasons. One has you mentioned is the habit our cars live in. They are much more abused than most anyone else's car in these forums. We use it for R&D heavily. Example is I did ~25 pulls on the dyno on Sunday testing parts. 2) is it is ester based which offers much higher performance. Less drag and friction are a big part of this. The downside is you change it more frequently.

Motul does offer a street line which works very well. That is what I would recommend for the streetcar.

mekrto

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Yes it is technically a racing oil. But we use it for a few reasons. One has you mentioned is the habit our cars live in. They are much more abused than most anyone else's car in these forums. We use it for R&D heavily. Example is I did ~25 pulls on the dyno on Sunday testing parts. 2) is it is ester based which offers much higher performance. Less drag and friction are a big part of this. The downside is you change it more frequently.

Motul does offer a street line which works very well. That is what I would recommend for the streetcar.
So what you are suggesting is that I use the motul 8100 eco-lite 0w20 on my w1 turbo of yours instead of the racing blend? & Yes it is my daily btw

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Reviving a dead thread instead of starting my own. Has anyone used the Motul 8100 Eco-Lite oil on a 1.5?

I was looking at this on Amazon but the "does not fit your Civic!" warning gave me pause... https://www.amazon.com/Motul-ECO-lite-Synthetic-Liters-108536/dp/B07KCSR467
Honda Civic 10th gen What motor oil are you Si guys using? upload_2019-10-1_15-59-1

Next question is if anyone wants to double check my math... 3.7 quarts equals just over 3.5 Liters, right? Asking since every Motul bottle I've seen in the past are in Liters, not quarts. Thx!

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Currently Mobil1 extended performance oil is in the car. Now, I bought Penzoil ultra platinum to switch when I change my oil.
Sponsored