Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lunar Silver SI Coupe
Country flag
You are going to get a wide range of opinions, but Honda says this engine was designed for 0W20 and in order to keep your warranty they told me I had to stick with 0W20. I can tell you that both my Toyotas that have been driven very hard in all types of conditions and have over 100K on them both use 0W20 and their engines are in perfect condition. I drive my Si very hard and have had no issues with 0W20. Also I would stick with your service minder, there is no need to change your oil at 3 or 4K unless you are running it hard on the track. Both my Toyotas have a 10K change interval, and again I have never had any type of mechanical issues in over 12 years
I change mine every 3k no matter what. You have to remember about how our di turbo motors work. Oil dilution is a big issue on our cars. I noticed driving until the service oil minder comes on and my oil would reak of fuel and my oil level would be higher on the dipstick quite a bit. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I change mine every 3k no matter what. You have to remember about how our di turbo motors work. Oil dilution is a big issue on our cars. I noticed driving until the service oil minder comes on and my oil would reak of fuel and my oil level would be higher on the dipstick quite a bit. Just my 2 cents.
And are you stock? No catless dp or anything? Also should read up on this https://www.civicx.com/threads/mape...-system-catch-can-testing-observations.31076/

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
The oil specs as well as the MM are designed to deal with and take into consideration the oil dilution issue with GDI and turbo engines. One of the members of this forum sent his oil to a testing lab after 6k miles, and they found that his oil was at acceptable levels and he could have gone all the way to 8 or 10k. Now it's not going to hurt your car to change your oil at 3k, but it is taking a bite out of your wallet

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
about paying for over priced botique oils... fuck that. you know what i buy? 0w20 supertech at walmart 17.99 5 quart jug. ppl want to go ape shit about buying the most expensive oil. ut theyre just wasting their money. i went through that stage too years ago.

heres the facts:

my rsx sdrove it from 100k to 250k miles. guess what i used? SUPERTECH synthetic 5w30. never a fucking issue.

my rax base: drove it from 160k to ~220k miles. SUPERTECH synthetic 5w30 every time.

my integra gsr: drove it from 30k to 150k guess what i used? cheap ass fucking valvoline synthetic and had ZERO issues.

that overpriced snake oil is good for making your wallet lighter. as long as it has the api seal on it it can be $3 oil or $8 quart oil and it is just as fucking good quality wise. dont buy into the bullshit hype.

edit* with all that being said, i am picky about what filter i use. there are many cheap ass filters that do make a difference and can ultimately lead to bad shit happening. i use oem honda or wix oil filters only.

Last edited:

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
about paying for over priced botique oils... fuck that. you know what i buy? 0w20 supertech at walmart 17.99 5 quart jug. ppl want to go ape shit about buying the most expensive oil. ut theyre just wasting their money. i went through that stage too years ago.

heres the facts:

my rsx sdrove it from 100k to 250k miles. guess what i used? SUPERTECH synthetic 5w30. never a fucking issue.

my rax base: drove it from 160k to ~220k miles. SUPERTECH synthetic 5w30 every time.

my integra gsr: drove it from 30k to 150k guess what i used? cheap ass fucking valvoline synthetic and had ZERO issues.

that overpriced snake oil is good for making your wallet lighter. as long as it has the api seal on it it can be $3 oil or $8 quart oil and it is just as fucking good quality wise. dont buy into the bullshit hype.

edit* with all that being said, i am picky about what filter i use. there are many cheap ass filters that do make a difference and can ultimately lead to bad shit happening. i use oem honda or wix oil filters only.
I don’t really agree with you on that. When I bought my 03 tiburon gt. I changed out a bunch of parts that needed changing and did an oil change using cheap synthetic oil and a k&n filter, my engine burned it down where there was no oil on the dipstick after a single month. I had to keep adding oil to the car. It had 160k at the time. There are no oil leaks in the engine and I made sure that everything in the engine was working properly and don’t say that I used the wrong oil or you’re meant to top off the car because it’s old. I tested high mileage oil in it too. It made it worse. When I used RP, most of my problems went away. My engine still burned oil, but it heavily reduced it to where it was a non factor. I never had to top off my oil except for one time I didn’t change the oil for half a year. I was a 3 months late on changes.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don’t really agree with you on that. When I bought my 03 tiburon gt. I changed out a bunch of parts that needed changing and did an oil change using cheap synthetic oil and a k&n filter, my engine burned it down where there was no oil on the dipstick after a single month. I had to keep adding oil to the car. It had 160k at the time. There are no oil leaks in the engine and I made sure that everything in the engine was working properly and don’t say that I used the wrong oil or you’re meant to top off the car because it’s old. I tested high mileage oil in it too. It made it worse. When I used RP, most of my problems went away. My engine still burned oil, but it heavily reduced it to where it was a non factor. I never had to top off my oil except for one time I didn’t change the oil for half a year. I was a 3 months late on changes.
I will have to agree with @BoostedSiCoupe. All engine oils have to meet a minimum standard, as long as they are API SAE approved, they will protect your engine, even non-synthetic. I have owned 2 Camry's and a Toyota Corolla that both used non-synthetic, I drove them crazy hard and the engines lasted over 100K with zero issues (in those days synthetic was crazy expensive and mainly used in exotic sports cars). Your Tiburon definitely had an issue if you were having to add a quart a month. I owned a VW GTI, and it did the same thing...ate oil like there was no tomorrow. I had to put 20W50 in it to slow down the oil loss. Oils like Amsoil are good and all, but they are over priced and overkill and unnecessary expenses. It's the engine, not the oil

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will have to agree with @BoostedSiCoupe. All engine oils have to meet a minimum standard, as long as they are API SAE approved, they will protect your engine, even non-synthetic. I have owned 2 Camry's and a Toyota Corolla that both used non-synthetic, I drove them crazy hard and the engines lasted over 100K with zero issues (in those days synthetic was crazy expensive and mainly used in exotic sports cars). Your Tiburon definitely had an issue if you were having to add a quart a month. I owned a VW GTI, and it did the same thing...ate oil like there was no tomorrow. I had to put 20W50 in it to slow down the oil loss. Oils like Amsoil are good and all, but they are over priced and overkill and unnecessary expenses. It's the engine, not the oil
Well corolla and camrys wouldn’t use full synthetic anyways lol and their built to last long and be driven hard on the daily. Also if I am correct that a VW GTI is turbo then would require use of full synthetic and shouldn’t eat up a lot of oil like you say ‍♂

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well corolla and camrys wouldn’t use full synthetic anyways lol and their built to last long and be driven hard on the daily. Also if I am correct that a VW GTI is turbo then would require use of full synthetic and shouldn’t eat up a lot of oil like you say ‍♂
All new Toyotas from 2010 on now use full synthetics (or synthetic blends). The Toyotas I was referring to were 1995, 1999, and 2003 models. The VW GTI was a 1987 year model, a 1.8L engine, they were not turbocharged in those days. It was brand new when I bought it, and I believe it was spec'd for 10W40

EDIT

Actually it was spec'd for either 15W50 or 20W50 most likely because it ate oil like it was evaporating water

Last edited:

blinkz0rz

First Name
Jrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Civic Si, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner 440, 2010 JKU Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always used OEM Honda or HAMP filters on all my Hondas. With new cars at the dealership, I request them to use A01 filters if available.

As for oil, I'm approaching 5500 miles on my '18 now and the MM is only saying 50%. My buddy is a GM Mechanic but he is the one that got me into the Honda scene 15 years ago. I asked him about the MM being at 50% and he said that while the MM is very accurate, he changes his 1998 Civic's oil at 3k and the wife's Acura ILX at 5k no matter what. With all this talk about oil and dilution I felt safe doing the oil change at 5.5k miles. Hell, I remember my 1994 Integra had the OEM sticker on the air filter box that specified oil changes at every 7.5k miles (this sticker was from Honda Japan). I still changed it 3-5k depending on my schedule.

I drive 95% country roads and I don't go WOT often. I am getting 42mpg on this car so it isn't abused, which probably is why the MM is reading so high still.

As for doing oil changes too early, it's better to be safe and have a well maintained vehicle overall.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So may theories and thoughts from so many, but very little verifiable facts.

(1) Is there a "special" Honda Break in oil, or not ?
(2) Is the oil that the Factory put into the engines, Synthetic or Not.
(3) What is the grade of the oil the factory put in .. 0W20 or something else.
(4) Why do Honda then recommend 0W20 ? Is it just because that is what they used to get documented higher MPG
(5) Is the real reason not to change the Factory oil, because of Molybdenum, either added to the oil, or washed off internal engine parts that were assembled with a Molybdenum based lubricant.
(6) Oil dilution .. of course it exist to some extend, (but really how much of an issue is it, and how to deal with it) KISS - just change the oil more often !!

I see myself having two options.
(1) Remain blissfully ignorant, and just follow Honda's and the Dealers recommendations, and then if anything goes wrong, hope that they will fix it to a reasonably level of being repaired & reliability.:rolleyes:

(2) Try to figure out what this is really all about, and then make my own judgement as to if I am going to end up just doing #1, or am going to go may own way, for a valid, justifiable reason. :hmm:

Being an "Engineer", and having been around car for more years than I want to admit to, I think I will take #2.

The ultra thin oil, with no real monitoring (pressure or temperature) leaves me considerably concerned. I am really considering adding such monitoring, as a higher priority, than addon Red Trim and other arbitrary accessories that are just cosmetic.

Already fitted a Direct Reading TPMS system... a decision I will never regret.
Once you have Direct TPMS, there is no going back to an indirect Idiot Light. :)

At the back of my mind is the idea that I want to keep the SI for a long time, but then, being realistic, in 10 year or less, an Electric Car may be a better option.

Whatever happens, and whatever I end up doing, it's going to be a FUN RIDE, (in so many ways), but I intend to control my own destiny, rather than rely on a "Dealer" to have my best interest at heart. :rofl:

blinkz0rz

First Name
Jrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Civic Si, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner 440, 2010 JKU Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The ultra thin oil, with no real monitoring (pressure or temperature) leaves me considerably concerned. I am really considering adding such monitoring, as a higher priority, than addon Red Trim and other arbitrary accessories that are just cosmetic.
I do wish the car came with an oil pressure meter. While analog, I trusted it on my old 90s vehicles because if the pressure was reading low or high, I knew something was up with the oil level. I would see this error before the dummy light would appear (or not appear one time because the GM 3800 motor was 3qts low out of it's 4.5qt capacity. So glad I paid attention to the meter and noticed an issue arising before having the computer tell me.)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I do wish the car came with an oil pressure meter. While analog, I trusted it on my old 90s vehicles because if the pressure was reading low or high, I knew something was up with the oil level. I would see this error before the dummy light would appear (or not appear one time because the GM 3800 motor was 3qts low out of it's 4.5qt capacity. So glad I paid attention to the meter and noticed an issue arising before having the computer tell me.)
I'm still looking for a system I like, that is both functional and affordable.

Ideally, I would like a BlueTooth transmitting unit, with a matching app that could both display the Pressure & Temperature, as well as record history.
If the App was Android Auto compatible, even better -- but now I am off in real fantasy land.
I do not really want to install either Digital or Analogue gauges - a pain to install, and lack the monitoring. There is a really nice Dual function Digital Gauge, but it is pricey.

A plot of Oil Pressure vs Temperature, over time would be most informative about what is really going on with the engine oil as it ages, as the climate changes and who aggressively you drive.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So may theories and thoughts from so many, but very little verifiable facts.

(1) Is there a "special" Honda Break in oil, or not ?
(2) Is the oil that the Factory put into the engines, Synthetic or Not.
(3) What is the grade of the oil the factory put in .. 0W20 or something else.
(4) Why do Honda then recommend 0W20 ? Is it just because that is what they used to get documented higher MPG
(5) Is the real reason not to change the Factory oil, because of Molybdenum, either added to the oil, or washed off internal engine parts that were assembled with a Molybdenum based lubricant.
(6) Oil dilution .. of course it exist to some extend, (but really how much of an issue is it, and how to deal with it) KISS - just change the oil more often !!

I see myself having two options.
(1) Remain blissfully ignorant, and just follow Honda's and the Dealers recommendations, and then if anything goes wrong, hope that they will fix it to a reasonably level of being repaired & reliability.:rolleyes:

(2) Try to figure out what this is really all about, and then make my own judgement as to if I am going to end up just doing #1, or am going to go may own way, for a valid, justifiable reason. :hmm:

Being an "Engineer", and having been around car for more years than I want to admit to, I think I will take #2.

Already fitted a Direct Reading TPMS system... a decision I will never regret.
Once you have Direct TPMS, there is no going back to an indirect Idiot Light. :)

At the back of my mind is the idea that I want to keep the SI for a long time, but then, being realistic, in 10 year or less, an Electric Car may be a better option.

Whatever happens, and whatever I end up doing, it's going to be a FUN RIDE, (in so many ways), but I intend to control my own destiny, rather than rely on a "Dealer" to have my best interest at heart. :rofl:
I am by no means an expert, but I have done a lot of research, I have corresponded with Mobil 1, Amsoil, and Honda to try and get a better understanding of what the best oil, grade of oil, and change intervals. Honda and the oil companies fully understand the challenges of a downsized GDI turbocharged engine, challenges such as oil dilution, excess heat and pressure, and LSPI (low speed pre-ignition). Since 2014 companies like Honda, GM and Ford have worked with oil companies to overcome these challenges and have created standards to overcome these, such as ILSAC-GF5 and now GF6, API SA and SA Plus, dexos1 etc. Without getting into to much detail, they have taken into consideration oil dilution, heat generated by the turbocharger and other stresses on the oil when recommending the oil type as well as oil change interval. As far as using 0W20, the engine has been engineered and tested by Honda to correctly protect this engine in most scenarios. What I am saying is, if you follow the maintenance minder, as has been shown by those who have sent their oils to labs, your engine will be perfectly fine, withstanding something unforseen

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am by no means an expert, but I have done a lot of research, I have corresponded with Mobil 1, Amsoil, and Honda to try and get a better understanding of what the best oil, grade of oil, and change intervals. Honda and the oil companies fully understand the challenges of a downsized GDI turbocharged engine, challenges such as oil dilution, excess heat and pressure, and LSPI (low speed pre-ignition). Since 2014 companies like Honda, GM and Ford have worked with oil companies to overcome these challenges and have created standards to overcome these, such as ILSAC-GF5 and now GF6, API SA and SA Plus, dexos1 etc. Without getting into to much detail, they have taken into consideration oil dilution, heat generated by the turbocharger and other stresses on the oil when recommending the oil type as well as oil change interval. As far as using 0W20, the engine has been engineered and tested by Honda to correctly protect this engine in most scenarios. What I am saying is, if you follow the maintenance minder, as has been shown by those who have sent their oils to labs, your engine will be perfectly fine, withstanding something unforseen
Thanks for your input and advice. I will obviously follow Honda's recommendations.
I just like to understand why they have those recommendations, and not be in the position of listening to BS from the Dealer, who often just make it up as they go along.

ie
Owner: Hey Dealer, you have way overfilled by oil.
Answer: That's normal - it's OK, it will just blow out what it does not need if its too high -- and we didn't charged you for the extra oil .
:dance:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for your input and advice. I will obviously follow Honda's recommendations.
I just like to understand why they have those recommendations, and not be in the position of listening to BS from the Dealer, who often just make it up as they go along.

ie
Owner: Hey Dealer, you have way overfilled by oil.
Answer: That's normal - it's OK, it will just blow out what it does not need if its too high -- and we didn't charged you for the extra oil .
:dance:
I agree with you, I don't rely on the dealer as well (in most cases). I directly contacted Honda for information. As an example, I also own a 2006 Toyota Camry SE. The dealer insisted oil changes should be 3000 miles while Toyota recommended 5000 miles minimum and 10K max. When I hit 30K the dealer told me I needed a mini tuneup including "valve adjustment". I knew that was BS, the maintenance schedule had no such service listed, and I know that most modern cars, including my Camry has self adjusting valves. Toyota has cracked down on dealers due to lots of complaints, so now you don't see as many bs services such as "fuel injection service", which is basically just a liquid they poured in your tank and charged you $120
Sponsored