What mods do you have done to your civic?

CPTStarDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I heard Vargas was going to make their first turbo for a civic so I really liked the idea of using it, plus its even more fun comparing its performance to the others. Im still using it, I think I might actually be the only person to own/use/test one other than the second unit Vargas said they had in house. You can check out my dyno runs on pump 93 in the link in my signature.

The Vargas is similar to a W1 though, it isn't quite as big as RV6 or W2 and it spools earlier than them. No matter which one you choose you will still max out the fuel system not really the turbo. The dyno curves from my tune are suuuuper smooth, if the curves carry that still on the flex tune id call it perfect, for me anyway. Before Vargas announced they were going to be making a turbo I had already decided on the W1 anyway.
Thanks for the info, very helpful!

So when maxing out the stock fuel system on these bigger turbos happens, does that place extra stress on the fuel system? Also, even though the fuel system isn't enough to fully utilize the upgraded turbos, it's still a performance upgrade over the stock turbo right? I imagine the fact that the upgraded turbos can't be fully utilized due to the stock fuel system sort of insures a bit of a safety buffer regarding the stock engine internals, since it isn't generating as much horsepower as it could?

As you can see, I'm excited about the prospect of more horsepower (especially since I'm getting my new clutch in) but not necessarily at the expense of my engine's durability!

Thanks again, man.
Sponsored

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for the info, very helpful!

So when maxing out the stock fuel system on these bigger turbos happens, does that place extra stress on the fuel system? Also, even though the fuel system isn't enough to fully utilize the upgraded turbos, it's still a performance upgrade over the stock turbo right? I imagine the fact that the upgraded turbos can't be fully utilized due to the stock fuel system sort of insures a bit of a safety buffer regarding the stock engine internals, since it isn't generating as much horsepower as it could?

As you can see, I'm excited about the prospect of more horsepower (especially since I'm getting my new clutch in) but not necessarily at the expense of my engine's durability!

Thanks again, man.
No, hitting the fueling limits just means you cant add more power after a certain point and the power will start to curve downward. If you stop pedaling a bicycle it keeps rolling but you are gonna slow down, kind of the same idea i guess? Its not full stopping the engine or anything. The difference between stock turbo and any of the aftermarkets is huge. The stock turbo is small and spools quickly at low rpm to make torque LOWER to make daily driving easier, but it can't move enough air at higher rpm to keep increasing power or even hold power to redline.. If anything has become a clear trend its that moving torque higher in the rpm is much easier on the engine in general, lots of people who have rods fly away have been on flex fuel tunes with the stock turbo, making more wtq than I make now, at a much lower engine speed like 2500. Bigger turbos take longer to spool and build boost, but build boost much easier and can keep the boost going instead of dropping off.

As long as you have a quality tune and don't beat the car like you want it to break most people don't have any issues. Nothing you should be worried about falling apart or blowing up on you as long as you maintain the car well.

I hope most of that makes sense. At this point people also know what's too high for an engine that isn't built, what the cars DONT like and what they do most of what you find here are oem failure/dealership problems and only a few failures outside of that. Check out gtman's reliability survey, the numbers look good.

CPTStarDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
No, hitting the fueling limits just means you cant add more power after a certain point and the power will start to curve downward. If you stop pedaling a bicycle it keeps rolling but you are gonna slow down, kind of the same idea i guess? Its not full stopping the engine or anything. The difference between stock turbo and any of the aftermarkets is huge. The stock turbo is small and spools quickly at low rpm to make torque LOWER to make daily driving easier, but it can't move enough air at higher rpm to keep increasing power or even hold power to redline.. If anything has become a clear trend its that moving torque higher in the rpm is much easier on the engine in general, lots of people who have rods fly away have been on flex fuel tunes with the stock turbo, making more wtq than I make now, at a much lower engine speed like 2500. Bigger turbos take longer to spool and build boost, but build boost much easier and can keep the boost going instead of dropping off.

As long as you have a quality tune and don't beat the car like you want it to break most people don't have any issues. Nothing you should be worried about falling apart or blowing up on you as long as you maintain the car well.

I hope most of that makes sense. At this point people also know what's too high for an engine that isn't built, what the cars DONT like and what they do most of what you find here are oem failure/dealership problems and only a few failures outside of that. Check out gtman's reliability survey, the numbers look good.

Awesome, fantastic info bro. You answered all my questions, wish I could slap more than one like on this!

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I heard Vargas was going to make their first turbo for a civic so I really liked the idea of using it, plus its even more fun comparing its performance to the others. Im still using it, I think I might actually be the only person to own/use/test one other than the second unit Vargas said they had in house. You can check out my dyno runs on pump 93 in the link in my signature.

The Vargas is similar to a W1 though, it isn't quite as big as RV6 or W2 and it spools earlier than them. No matter which one you choose you will still max out the fuel system not really the turbo. The dyno curves from my tune are suuuuper smooth, if the curves carry that still on the flex tune id call it perfect, for me anyway. Before Vargas announced they were going to be making a turbo I had already decided on the W1 anyway.
While spool up is closer to w1, your power and torque numbers on 93 look closer to the bigger bolt ons

CPTStarDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
While spool up is closer to w1, your power and torque numbers on 93 look closer to the bigger bolt ons
Hey Salmon, and @Neddih speaking of spool up, dumb question time from me: Does the fact that the turbo spools up later than a stock turbo mean that you're going to be slower from a stop? Since I imagine that seems less torque until you get higher in RPMs, you're going to be at a disadvantage until you hit those higher bands aren't you??

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Salmon, and @Neddih speaking of spool up, dumb question time from me: Does the fact that the turbo spools up later than a stock turbo mean that you're going to be slower from a stop? Since I imagine that seems less torque until you get higher in RPMs, you're going to be at a disadvantage until you hit those higher bands aren't you??
At shorter distances (the amount depends on the turbo and other add-ons) yes. Watch @Sall videos to see how the top end catches up

CPTStarDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
At shorter distances (the amount depends on the turbo and other add-ons) yes. Watch @Sall videos to see how the top end catches up
Awesome! Never seen these posts before, thanks man. Also, the red civic there with the black hood and roof, is literally what my wife keeps telling me to do with my Si (I only have a black hood right now.)

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That's what I see when I compare them also so fingers crossed it should produce the same type of power compared to them with flex also. Pretty awesome

elijah33545

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Garrett 2867r turbo, PRL turbo kit, PRL charge pipes & intercooler, PRL downpipe, PRL front pipe, MAPerformance 3" quad-tip exhaust, PRL flex fuel kit, Aeroflow dynamics splitter, diffuser, seibon side skirts, demon grille, Acuity short shifter, Acuity pedal spacer, Oneuplighting underglow kit

CPTStarDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Garrett 2867r turbo, PRL turbo kit, PRL charge pipes & intercooler, PRL downpipe, PRL front pipe, MAPerformance 3" quad-tip exhaust, PRL flex fuel kit, Aeroflow dynamics splitter, diffuser, seibon side skirts, demon grille, Acuity short shifter, Acuity pedal spacer, Oneuplighting underglow kit

Sounds like you got quite the beast there. What kind of power are you putting out? Any work done on the engine internals after you did the turbo upgrade?

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 T-Bird, 78 Cougar, 84 Bronco, 85 F150 17 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PRL Race CAI
PRL Intercooler
PRL Charge Pipes
ARK DT-S exhaust
PRL Catted DP V2
PRL Front Pipe V2
Eibach front and rear sway bars
20mm & 25mm wheel spacers
Acuity Short throw shifter
Custom shift knob
LED light bulbs all around
Ruthenium spark plugs at .028
Red engine cover
PRL SS clutch line
Solid Rear Engine mount... don't remember the brand
Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 245/40 tires
Rear window louvers
Honda Hack
Hondata V2
Insulated/soundproofed the interior
Kicker subwoofer upgrade
27WON Turbo Inlet Pipe
fender gap covers
Green Magnetic oil drain plug
GM Synchromesh gear oil
Hepa Cabin air filter

Mods to come:
One piece Strut bar
Turbo?...
Sportier steering wheel
Type R retrofit clutch
Speaker upgrades
Horn upgrade
Mesh grille

CPTStarDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
PRL Race CAI
PRL Intercooler
PRL Charge Pipes
ARK DT-S exhaust
PRL Catted DP V2
PRL Front Pipe V2
Eibach front and rear sway bars
20mm & 25mm wheel spacers
Acuity Short throw shifter
Custom shift knob
LED light bulbs all around
Ruthenium spark plugs at .028
Red engine cover
PRL SS clutch line
Solid Rear Engine mount... don't remember the brand
Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 245/40 tires
Rear window louvers
Honda Hack
Hondata V2
Insulated/soundproofed the interior
Kicker subwoofer upgrade
27WON Turbo Inlet Pipe
fender gap covers
Green Magnetic oil drain plug
GM Synchromesh gear oil
Hepa Cabin air filter

Mods to come:
One piece Strut bar
Turbo?...
Sportier steering wheel
Type R retrofit clutch
Speaker upgrades
Horn upgrade
Mesh grille
You mention the Type R retrofit clutch setup, you looking at the RV6 flywheel?

oberstja

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
DEPO led headlights
HRS v1 tail lights
iJDMTOY Bumper reflector lights
Eibach springs
Ikon motorsports front grill
Unity side markers
Ktuner
ABS Dynamics R wing
Type R roof garnish
PRL Cobra intake
GReddy catback exhaust
OEM window visors and body side molding.
2020 rear diffuser and front fog light garnishes (my 2017 model did not come with these originally)

Honda Civic 10th gen What mods do you have done to your civic? DSC01776

Honda Civic 10th gen What mods do you have done to your civic? DSC01579

Last edited: