What makes the LE worth the extra money?

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t think you’re missing anything, you’ve hit on a lot of valid points and I can see through that lens. On the other hand, the value for me comes from a few factors. I’ve always been a Honda junky, I’ve always liked yellow on the ITR and S2K, and I’ve been completely enamored by the 10th gen CTR since it first arrived, so a special Limited Edition seems like the ultimate one to own out of the 3 different variants (2017, 2019, 2020 all were spec’d different, albeit somewhat nuanced). Additionally, the exclusivity of only 600 units as an aforementioned Honda junky turns me on, so I did it. $5k markup with fair trade in value, I’m safe financially to do it, that obviously helps. No doubt to some it wouldn’t be worth it, but I don’t have any buyer remorse.
Whoa you got the LE huh? I remember you got your R right before I did and I'd have had your red twin if I weren't so indecisive. I'm actually looking to get it painted red now o_O

Grats man! That car looks great.
Sponsored

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
If you think removing things like sound deadening and other creature comforts for the sake of "race car weight reduction" is a crazy thing to charge extra for, stay the hell away from a Porsche dealer ? between some of those delete options, leather stitching BS, and other crazy options, you could be an entire LE deep in added cost in some more expensive sports cars.

Just the nature of the market around cars like these. The "sporty" or "racey" options sell, regardless of whether they make sense for the owner or not.

Do most people need carbon ceramic brakes? No......but they'll pay extra for the ability to tell their golfing buddies that their car is optioned that way.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Sounds like something my 16 yr old son would say.

Modern cars have gotten so good and refined it’s tough to think of any mass produced cars as raw.
You may be right that cars aren't as "raw" as they once were, but I doubt you'd be wanting to go back to many of those old cars compared to what's available now.

Stupid modern cars these days, why, back in my day, horse and buggy was the true "raw" experience.

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
Modern cars have gotten so good and refined it’s tough to think of any mass produced cars as raw.
Raw was my old Ford with a top loader gearbox, big port V8, manual steering and rear LSD.

These days raw is steering feel and being able to get a car to do what I want. The CTR does that for me where in something like an A45 you turn the wheel and the computers are more in control of deciding what the car should do.

Yes the CTR still does that to an extent but by modern standards it's raw and the LE is just slightly rawer again.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
In terms of raw, after the Lancer evolution and lotus Elise, I’d say the Fiesta ST. The cheapness, agility being so small, makes a wonderful driving feel and as raw as it gets for semi modern. I‘ve never driven a Yaris GR but based on reviews I’m guessing it should be raw like also.

I regret passing up my BMW 1m allocation since I had a December car and wanted spring car but found out bmw Discontinued shortly after. I believe this LE will be similar to the bmw 1m. Drive for a few years and sell without loosing much money. Basically, I’m saying the Le is worth more because there is a chance it’s the cheaper route when you decide to sell it.

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Hypothetically, let's say Honda does this again with the last year of the 11th gen CTR. Releases another yellow "limited edition". Then how will this LE compare in terms of value ?

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
I’d say the Fiesta ST.
Having owned a MK7 Fiesta ST I completely agree. Go kart like feel compared to anything else except an Elise or similar. Completely selectable traction control and no other electric jiggery pokery when belted hard on a track aside from grabbing the inside front brake to prevent understeer.

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
Hypothetically, let's say Honda does this again with the last year of the 11th gen CTR. Releases another yellow "limited edition". Then how will this LE compare in terms of value ?
Depending upon how the new car drives it may be considered more desirable even if it doesn't have the raw pace.

From the limited I've read, the new platform has a longer wheelbase which means, all things being equal, it won't have the same feeling of agility and turn in. Stack on a bit of weight and the job becomes even harder.

Also here in Australia those of us that managed to snag an LE got a relative bargain being fixed price. Plus with the new agency model that Honda Australia are moving towards (less dealers, less volume) there is every chance we will not get an 11th Gen LE even if one is released elsewhere in the world. We barely got the 10th Gen as it is.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I’m glad you’re not in danger or ever had something stolen from you. I ride motorcycles and if you did. Not sure if you do. It’s very easy to steal them.

I’m aware that it’s a civic. But it’s limited civic and not everyone out there is nice to appreciate it.
You live in Dirty Jersey People born to steal your shit up there.....

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I regret passing up my BMW 1m allocation since I had a December car and wanted spring car but found out bmw Discontinued shortly after. I believe this LE will be similar to the bmw 1m. Drive for a few years and sell without loosing much money. Basically, I’m saying the Le is worth more because there is a chance it’s the cheaper route when you decide to sell it.
Well, maybe only if you got it at MSRP. But someone who dropped $60K+ on one now due to ADM, adjusted for inflation, will never get their money back. At least that's what the data has shown us on similar cars in the past (S2K CR, ITR, etc).

BMW has made a bunch of M3s after the E46 but look up what laguna seca blue E46 M3s are selling for. People want what others can't have regardless of whether a technically better model is available......there still will only be 600 of these LEs out there even when the new one comes out.

Also, there's a good chance the next LE will be that much more refined. As you can read in many enthusiast forums, the feeling of a "raw" performance car is now a desirable factor that further inflates the price of older models due to the direction the car industry has gone.

Again, I don't see why the LE's price over time won't follow that of the S2K CR and ITR.

wewong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
The LE for the Canadian market has even fewer differences from the regular model. It comes with rear wipers, rear heating duct, and rear cargo cover. Makes me wonder if they’ve actually removed any sound deadening material ?

For me, the reason for getting the LE is mainly the exclusivity, and I’ve never owned a yellow car before. It was supposed to be a garage queen but i have to relocate for a new job, so decided to daily it and enjoy every bit of it.

wmo168

First Name
Mr M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Country flag
Well, maybe only if you got it at MSRP. But someone who dropped $60K+ on one now due to ADM, adjusted for inflation, will never get their money back. At least that's what the data has shown us on similar cars in the past (S2K CR, ITR, etc).

BMW has made a bunch of M3s after the E46 but look up what laguna seca blue E46 M3s are selling for. People want what others can't have regardless of whether a technically better model is available......there still will only be 600 of these LEs out there even when the new one comes out.

Also, there's a good chance the next LE will be that much more refined. As you can read in many enthusiast forums, the feeling of a "raw" performance car is now a desirable factor that further inflates the price of older models due to the direction the car industry has gone.

Again, I don't see why the LE's price over time won't follow that of the S2K CR and ITR.
this car is for enthusiast, when the FK9 LE came out and better refined, I am sure the same folks will go after the new one….. cycle begin and dealer will have markup on those

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
I just want to comment the newest type r is not always the best type r. I recall the eg, ek, fd and our current fk8 being good.

Look want happened to the integra type r to the Rsx type r. Or the lancer evolution 6.5 TME Thur evo x. Bigger, softer more comfortable and more weight. If any of these go too extreme I’d prefer going Macan GTS meaning i just lost interest. A good example is the new M3. It is a better daily? Sure, but I don’t want one. I hope it’s doesnt become an accord and the real civic is called a Honda fit type r.

Our current civic doesn’t need to grow. It’s already too big and the weight is getting too heavy.