What makes the LE worth the extra money?

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Serious question.

I'm not talking about the stupid ADMs, I mean what makes the MSRP (7k?) higher?

Is it the forged wheels? There's some value there - 2k-3k maybe.

The paint job might add some because it will be a rare color, and it's the most noticeable/obvious thing about the LE.

Aside from that, I presume it's mostly the intangible "collector value" that justifies the MSRP markup? Certainly the rarity is where the ADMs come from, but that's a different thing and not what I'm talking about.

It seems like the rest of the car is a downgrade from the regular Touring trim, and that the following would reduce the MSRP, since Honda's saving money by not putting them in:
Less soundproofing material = noisier interior. Yay?
Rear wiper delete = hope it doesn't rain too much I guess.
No floor heater/AC ducts for the rear passengers = hotter/colder interior (whichever it is you DON"T want at the time) and less comfortable passengers.
No cargo cover in the back = something else to buy if you want privacy in the cargo area.

Otherwise, it's all the same right? Did I miss something?

I look at the LE and think "MAN that's a cool color", but everything else combined would kill the deal, even if it were readily available at MSRP. The biggest net gain really seems to be the forged wheels. While 20" aren't my cup of tea, I can see the value add there. Otherwise I just don't see it - but as I said, maybe I'm missing something?

-bob
Sponsored

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I wish the LE had some exclusive parts (besides wheels) to make it unique beside its color. I guess it comes down to supply & demand.

Seeing how the ITR and s2000 CR have significantly increased over the past year, I think is pushing these ADMs.

forged BBS wheels $1200 msrp from HONDA
Michelin cup 2 - $386 each

Reprogrammed suspension and steering. Less sound deadening material, rear wiper delete, paint scheme. I'm not sure what else.

So roughly $5700 more than a touring edition with "premium" paint is $39,250 ?

Last edited:

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
The color.........literally that's it

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
It's mostly the intangible factor.

In 1978 Ford Australia had a hard time shifting the big 2 door V8 muscle car of the day. Edsel Ford Jr came up with the idea of taking the remaining 400 bodies, painting them white with blue strips, sticking on a cobra decal and numbered badge and they sold like hotcakes.

The base models were 5.0 litre pollution controlled slushboxes that could barely crack 0-100kmh in under 10 seconds. Today they are worth a mint.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
It comes down to production numbers. A limited quantity vehicle will always sell for a premium. Whether it proves to be a wise investment, or not, depends on how many will want this particular vehicle in the future, and how much they're willing to pay for it. If it's bought to put up and save for a sale or auction years from now, you are literally gambling on the future appreciation.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I’d love to hear from an actual owner and their reasoning as to why they went for the LE R over the standard R. I’d do it for the exclusivity - you know you’ll probably never see another one on the road and if you do, you better stop and grab some lottery tickets. I would totally pay MSRP for one but that ain’t happenin. The 50k deal that got posted and deleted the other day though - damn that would have been tempting!

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bragging rights...
And sheer terror every time you park it away from your climate controlled garage. PLUS...
An unnatural fear of potholes, birds, semi/construction trucks, fellow commuters and curbs.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Rarity. You can mod a standard R for equal or better performance for less. But it will never truly be a LE and therefore not as rare (or valuable) to some.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
maybe I'm missing something?
I don’t think you’re missing anything, you’ve hit on a lot of valid points and I can see through that lens. On the other hand, the value for me comes from a few factors. I’ve always been a Honda junky, I’ve always liked yellow on the ITR and S2K, and I’ve been completely enamored by the 10th gen CTR since it first arrived, so a special Limited Edition seems like the ultimate one to own out of the 3 different variants (2017, 2019, 2020 all were spec’d different, albeit somewhat nuanced). Additionally, the exclusivity of only 600 units as an aforementioned Honda junky turns me on, so I did it. $5k markup with fair trade in value, I’m safe financially to do it, that obviously helps. No doubt to some it wouldn’t be worth it, but I don’t have any buyer remorse.

Honda Civic 10th gen What makes the LE worth the extra money? 485C0AC7-A577-4D75-90C2-FD0102E84C2E

OP
OP
Bob_L

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
I don’t think you’re missing anything, you’ve hit on a lot of valid points and I can see through that lens. On the other hand, the value for me comes from a few factors. I’ve always been a Honda junky, I’ve always liked yellow on the ITR and S2K, and I’ve been completely enamored by the 10th gen CTR since it first arrived, so a special Limited Edition seems like the ultimate one to own out of the 3 different variants (2017, 2019, 2020 all were spec’d different, albeit somewhat nuanced). Additionally, the exclusivity of only 600 units as an aforementioned Honda junky turns me on, so I did it. $5k markup with fair trade in value, I’m safe financially to do it, that obviously helps. No doubt to some it wouldn’t be worth it, but I don’t have any buyer remorse.

485C0AC7-A577-4D75-90C2-FD0102E84C2E.jpeg
Thanks for your insight WindJunkie - great looking car!

-bob

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
It's the same car with less sound deadening and better wheels. The suspension/steering "box" is retuned to play nicer with the lighter wheels. That's it.

Rfabianfk82020

First Name
Rence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don’t see the big deal of it all either, price wise. But if I was a collector or just someone who really loves Honda and the Type R in general. I can see why someone would do it. Limited quantities, new additions to it. But for me I wouldn’t even if I could afford it. I most likely wouldn’t do it. Also looking at it from a security perspective. You have a target on your back and you should be vigilant.

so for me. No, but I understand. Lol

wmo168

First Name
Mr M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Country flag
I don’t see the big deal of it all either, price wise. But if I was a collector or just someone who really loves Honda and the Type R in general. I can see why someone would do it. Limited quantities, new additions to it. But for me I wouldn’t even if I could afford it. I most likely wouldn’t do it. Also looking at it from a security perspective. You have a target on your back and you should be vigilant.

so for me. No, but I understand. Lol
target on the back? It is just a over priced civic ?
Sponsored