What kind of MPG are y'all getting with your 10th Gen?

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm currently at 29.8 MPG and still going. Just filled her up for the first time 2 days ago. I've driven 75 miles and am about 2 notches below full now. All my driving is city driving, with 1 stretch of road I'm able to really open up on.
Sponsored

Last edited:

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I drive very high-spirited all the time, so I usually get around 26 mpg. If I really drive like a madman I get closer to 23 mpg. The highest I've gotten was around 35 mpg. Even with econ mode I get around 27 mpg lol. But I do a lot of city driving so I wouldn't be able to get crazy mpg numbers like some members here have gotten, even if I stopped going WOT every chance I get haha

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
daily driving, probably 50/50 hwy/city split, 28-34mpg depending on how frisky I am with the throttle. At worst, like 25mpg when I first got my tune installed because happy lead foot.

Just did a road trip from Vegas to SoCal (approximately 315 miles). On my way there, aimed for high fuel economy and got 43mpg, and it was just over half a tank to get there. Took me 5.5 hours, but great gas mileage, and it was more downhill than not. On my way back, aimed for good time over fuel economy. Opposite of the first trip, more uphill than not, made it home in 4 hours, and still made 37mpg. I had just over a quarter tank when I got home.

HondaPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black Pearl 2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Just rolled over 50k on my '18 Si and without a single reset on trip meter B shows 34.8. Bone stock, always spirited driving, car lives in sport mode, on 3rd set of tires

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
For some reason, my MPG floats around 25mpg. Kind of a let down, to be honest. Admittedly, I mostly do city/suburb driving, but I would still think it would be a bit closer to 30mpg. I know letting your car idle while it warms up (thanks to NY winter weather) hurts MPG averages. I don't gun it anywhere, due to it being new and only having 66 miles on it when I got it (up to a little under 300 now), and besides that, I'm just light on the throttle anyway.

Does 25mpg on the CVT sound right for mostly suburban driving, with short stints on the highway, all while being light on the gas, and also letting my car warm up for about 10 minutes before driving most times I fire it up? And yes, I did reset the tripometer after my first fill up, which I understand resets the MPG averages.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
^ Warming the car up by idling for 10 minutes is a bad approach. Better off warming it up by just taking it easy and driving.

OK... since I've been at this forum since the beginning of time, I'll clue you guys in. There are 54,321 mpg threads (roughly). :cool: The mpg numbers vary wildly in those threads and people always get butthurt wondering why one guy gets 44mpg and they are only getting 25.

It goes like this. Our cars are capable of fantastic pure highway mileage (40+ easily) but numbers fall off a cliff in stop and go driving and especially if you get into the throttle. Plus, the guy driving in the flatlands of Illinois will get better mpgs then in a hilly area, for example. Winter driving and winter gas lowers mpgs. There's just WAY too many variables.

Basically mpg comparison threads are kind of useless.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
It goes like this. Our cars are capable of fantastic pure highway mileage (40+ easily) but numbers fall off a cliff in stop and go driving and especially if you get into the throttle. Plus, the guy driving in the flatlands of Illinois will get better mpgs then in a hilly area, for example. Winter driving and winter gas lowers mpgs. There's just WAY too many variables.
THIS right here!!

Also to add to that Winter Mix versus Summer Mix fuel also has a noticeable impact, I suddenly lost like 3-4 MPG average 2 tanks ago (about a month back, guess they switched over later then normal this year down here), so depending on the time of year you can also see significant changes to your fuel economy.

and it holds true to many vehicles, after getting my Civic I semi retired my last vehicle into my weekend car and so now it's only used to drive to town (a much shorter drive) and simply not having the rest of the route has caused a 20% or more drop in fuel economy, but if I take it on the highway it would go back up.

for reference there is approximately a 33% increase in my civics Fuel Economy if it's pure highway driving vs my normal drive across the county to work, with that much range of variation it just goes to further GTMan's point that MPG comparisons with others are meaningless because where you drive has a massive impact in MPG as does how you drive.

LMFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good thing you created this thread cause I'm a little confused. I have a 2018 Civic Sport hatch. When i go through the options on the dash I'm faced with 2 kinds of MPG averages. One tells me that my average is 30mpg and the other one is telling me 26mpg??? So which one to go by?

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I got one for you. My commute is .04 miles one way or .08 per day. I picked up my car on Feb 2 2019 and have 2999 miles ( almost 3000) I DO take precautions and run a while down the road so as to mitigate the oil dilution issue. I am currently getting 18.7 MPG !!! Truly hurrendous ... LOL ... Not concerned. Using Sunaco 93. I am not a gear head expert but wonder if my milage also suffered when I put on the vent to atmosphere block off plate. Aside from notchy shifts I am very happy with the car and mods I have done. I have not seen anyone post worse milage than this!!!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got one for you. My commute is .04 miles one way or .08 per day. I picked up my car on Feb 2 2019 and have 2999 miles ( almost 3000) I DO take precautions and run a while down the road so as to mitigate the oil dilution issue. I am currently getting 18.7 MPG !!! Truly hurrendous ... LOL ... Not concerned. Using Sunaco 93. I am not a gear head expert but wonder if my milage also suffered when I put on the vent to atmosphere block off plate. Aside from notchy shifts I am very happy with the car and mods I have done. I have not seen anyone post worse milage than this!!!
I hope you meant 4/10th's of a mile. If it's really 4/100ths of a mile (200 feet), you may as well walk. :cool:

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I have stated this in most MPG threads.

Many people love to brag on the internet about their fuel mileage.
Take the "I get 40 mpg in combined driving (50:50 hwy/city) while flooring it in sport mode." posts with a grain of salt.
Unfortunately people read these posts and wonder why they don't match these exaggerated numbers. They think that there is something wrong with their car.

The manufacturer claims that these cars get about 40 mpg on the highway. It actually does.
The manufacturer claims that these cars get about 32 mpg city. The only way you get these numbers in stop and go traffic is if you live in Dodge Kansas and hyper-mile. It is just a fact that internal combustion gasoline engines use up much more fuel when accelerating than when they are cruising at speed. The more stop and go, the more fuel that you will use. Just look at the "instantaneous fuel usage bar graph" on your dash when you accelerate. Even if you do it as softly as possible, the bar graph depicting fuel usage lengthens dramatically under acceleration.

Expect 20 to 30 mpg city depending on how congested your city is and the length of your typical commute. The longer the commute, the better the mileage will be. For example, if you typically have a short commute of less than 5 miles through downtown Manhattan during rush hour, you will be lucky to get 20 mpg. If you have a long commute through a smaller city with a lot of boulevards that flow quickly through town, you might approach 30 mpg city.

Your combined mileage just depends on the the makeup of your average daily driving. If it is mostly highway, you can get close to 40 mpg. If it is mostly city, you will probably get in the 20s.

Last edited:

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I drive city and highway about 50/50 and I've been hitting mid 30's pretty easy in the Civic. I definitely don't have a lead foot which helps a ton. I've been averaging roughly 33 in my Corolla, 33 in my Fiesta, and 18 in my Corvette. So far, the Civic is the leader - and I suspect it will only get better as I rack up some more miles.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some numbers for you. For reference, I live in the congested Baltimore metro area.

If I drive pure highway (non-winter) I regularly see 40+. In suburban stop and go, it drops to more like 25-28. If I drive in the hilly part of my town, mileage drops even more. If I get caught in a backup, I lose more mpg. If I drive in race car mode and do a bunch of gas pedal mashing, I've seen as low as 17 mpg. All of which is why comparing mileage numbers is futile, unless you drive the exact roads, at the exact speeds with the exact ambient temps as someone else. Even things like rain and wind affect mpgs.

Also keep another thing in mind. If you have a very short commute, mpgs will be lower because the engine may not even get up to normal operating temps.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
On the flip side I drove my 2016 ex t CVT from NY to SC I 95 45 mpg on the dot. I have to do the same trip soon so I will let you know how the two models compare.
Sponsored