What kind of gas and where?

GAVZDAD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so say we all
Yup that's basically me. Not going to go out of my way to find special gas. If there is someone close by like shell then I'll go there but not going to waste money driving around looking for a certain station.
People are more than welcome to do whatever they want, their car, their money, but I have never met anyone who actually had a problem because they didn't buy "top tier" fuel. Millions of people buy "non top-tier" fuel everyday, and never have an issue. Doesn't matter to me either way, but it's funny, I never knew there was a difference until I came on this forum. In 22 years of driving, there's no telling how much fuel I bought that wasn't top tier. TETO:)

Disclaimer: The above comment does not reflect the opinions of civicx.com, it's sponsors, or it's affiliates.
Sponsored

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MDX Advance SH-AWD, 2018 TLX 2.4 w/8DCT
Country flag
Usually Costco, sometimes Chevron, Shell or 76, but the most important factor is to buy from a high volume station.

RS016

My RS Turbo - Aussie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS turbo, 2014 Civic hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Aussie spec 1.5lt Turbos are minimum 91RON. I have been using 95RON premium since new and it runs like a dream.

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I do Shell 87. Prefer top tier. I'd do E0 but in my town it's +$1/gal more. Hate E10 but it is what it is. Can't justify the price for 3% increased mpg.

I guess the 93 VPower NiTRO+ stuff is supposed to be good for cleaning agents but I can't justify the price on that either.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
On my old car, 2013 BMW 135i, I had to get premium gas and usually gets it from Costco, which is a lot better than Shell in my opinion and now with Touring, I'm sure regular is the recommended gas, but I'd like to know what everybody is using.

Just like what the title says, what kind of gas do you use and where do you guys go? Any other reason? Gains? Cleaner gas? etc..
I'm a light user. Still over half a tank since I got the car about 3 weeks ago. I'll probably go for the very best to ensure the optimal additive package for a cleaner engine, and of course at least 87 octane. Likely be Shell's super nitro stuff.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
On my old car, 2013 BMW 135i, I had to get premium gas and usually gets it from Costco, which is a lot better than Shell in my opinion and now with Touring, I'm sure regular is the recommended gas, but I'd like to know what everybody is using.

Just like what the title says, what kind of gas do you use and where do you guys go? Any other reason? Gains? Cleaner gas? etc..
87 or higher is specified. Higher implies better or more, detergent and other additives, so wouldn't it be better to go for higher ? Could higher octane be detrimental in any way ?

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
<snip>
I guess the 93 VPower NiTRO+ stuff is supposed to be good for cleaning agents but I can't justify the price on that either.
Combustion products of Nitrogen stuff are very vile, including nitric acid, nitrogen dioxide, etc., all very bad for metals. Food for thought ...

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Combustion products of Nitrogen stuff are very vile, including nitric acid, nitrogen dioxide, etc., all very bad for metals. Food for thought ...
I believe ALL Shell fuel contains nitrogen-enriched gasoline. Many other gasoline providers likely use nitrogen-enriched gasoline as well, since adding it to the detergent reduces the carbon build-up aka gunk. Federal standards require some level of cleaning agents, however NiTRO+ contains seven times the amount of cleaning agents.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
...You do realize 78% of the air combusting is Nitrogen already.
Nitrogen additives in fuel are beneficial, which, again, is just a google away.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-talk-nitrogen-enriched-gas/

The most detrimental byproduct of Nitrogen is NO (NOx) -- Nitrogen Oxide. Those are direct emissions gases, but again, that largely comes from just exploding air.

As far as Octane ratings go, higher octane does not mean more additives. It just means it has a higher octane rating. Higher octanes are mandatory for certain engines to run efficiently, if at all. Neither your 2.0, nor do the 1.5s require anything higher than 87, as per owner's manual.

There's nothing detrimental, other you paying more than necessary.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
But the nitrogen in the air is almost never involved in a combustion process. It just stays as inert N2.
Yes, but only under ideal stoichimetric conditions at a theoretical AFR.
Sometimes the Nitrogen will form Nitrogen Oxide, as mentioned above, into harmful gases.

My point was that your engine is not going to suddenly produce nitric acid by using gasoline with nitrogen additives.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
Honda Civic 10th gen What kind of gas and where? IMG_0758_zps8t6nylps
here's the bomb...

TCW-3 oil in your Civic fuel, 640:1 that's 1 oz. per 5 gallons...I stow it in the trunk and in a old Stabil bottle for easy use although with the cap less system you'll need the funnel. Less friction obviously.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
The only atmospheric nitrogen ever reacted is by clover and other fixing organisms and probably a little by lightning.

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Octane 87 is all anybody needs. Your Civic will not run better on anything with higher octane.

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/09/u-s-drivers-waste-2-1-billion-annually-premium-gasoline/
The only couple of gas exceptions when difference matters, is:

1: E0 aka ethanol free. If there is a pure gas station that is comparable in price, you will likely get 3-5% better mpg. If the price exceeds 3-5%, it may or may not be beneficial.

2: Top tier: Has a higher level of detergent additives compared to other non Top Tier retailers using only the minimum EPA required detergent additives in order to help prevent the buildup of engine deposits which may reduce fuel economy and optimal engine performance.
Sponsored