What is your preferred downshift method?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I tried both too. I tried the setting with the highest pedal (I thought that was C, but could be wrong) and absolutely hated it. Every time I tried to blip I hit it way too hard and just wasn’t fun. Plus when I would break the pedal would be higher than the break. I found the middle setting to be the best. Not too much foot movement and it’s almost perfect when you are breaking, especially if you need to break hard and quick.
A is the highest.
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Believe it or not, there are.

I don't heel toe as I'm not a race car driver but I do rev match.
Just curious what you do when slowing down for a turn?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Just curious what you do when slowing down for a turn?
You mean if I'm driving in a "spirited" fasion? I'll probably rev match and then slow down. I never even attempted to heel toe... my foot doesn't move that way apparently lol

I've never driven on a track so I think i'll be ok.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the Acuity Pedal spacer, on it's highest setting ... it took me a few weeks to adjust my feet to it, but once I did ... WOW, what a difference. I don't heel/toe much ... unless I've got some jackass tailgaiting me in town ... then I proceed to agressive mode and drop 'em like a hot potato!

Any way ... I do a throttle blip, for rev match.
The gearing on the Si works perfectly, for me to blip to match.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm glad I have a CTR, because I'm absolutely terrible at rev matching myself. Everytime I try I end up over or undershooting and just getting a lurch.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm glad I have a CTR, because I'm absolutely terrible at rev matching myself. Everytime I try I end up over or undershooting and just getting a lurch.
You're either over throttling or not completing the shift fast enough. You should practice, it's very satisfying once you get it down.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
You mean if I'm driving in a "spirited" fasion? I'll probably rev match and then slow down. I never even attempted to heel toe... my foot doesn't move that way apparently lol

I've never driven on a track so I think i'll be ok.
No, just in general. Say you are in 5th coming to a turn where you need to drop into 2nd. Was just wondering at what point you were rev-matching. Have you tried the heel-toe method where you have the inside of your foot on the brake with the outside on the gas and roll your ankle over? (instead of the more "traditional" method of rotating your heel onto the gas) I'm certainly not trying to say everyone needs to heel-toe all the time. I just find it enjoyable and something to continue getting better at.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No, just in general. Say you are in 5th coming to a turn where you need to drop into 2nd. Was just wondering at what point you were rev-matching. Have you tried the heel-toe method where you have the inside of your foot on the brake with the outside on the gas and roll your ankle over? (instead of the more "traditional" method of rotating your heel onto the gas) I'm certainly not trying to say everyone needs to heel-toe all the time. I just find it enjoyable and something to continue getting better at.
If I had to go from 5th to 2nd, it sounds like I'd probably be wanting to slow down quickly so I'd downshift right before I got on the brakes. Other times, I'd probably downshift then either coast a bit and then get on the brakes. It would vary from situation to situation, I suppose.

To be honest, I haven't tried heel toeing in any method because it just feels unnatural to me to have my foot do that since I've never done it. Would definitely be useful to learn though.

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Good night lol. I can count on one hand the times I've been on the road and have needed to go from 5th to 2nd, thats like 100+mph into a TIGHT corner, I'm not doing that on the street with poorly cambered turns, I probably wouldn't need to ever use 2nd normally driving unless theres a stop sign or something. Either case I'd rev match once or twice and lightly touch the brake between gears and shift the last gear off throttle in the turn.
I don't have the throttle spacer, but I bought one because of this tread. I could heel toe with the pedals current position, but I feel like there's not enough heel room, I hit the tunnel. Can't heel toe in my 87 Accord because of the gas pedal sitting too low (the clutch and brake sit stupid high). Might have been able to do it in my old RSX, but the catch with those pedals is your clutch foot would hit the dead pedal, the Civic's pedals are in the perfect spot, shifted to the right... except for the gas

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Good night lol. I can count on one hand the times I've been on the road and have needed to go from 5th to 2nd, thats like 100+mph into a TIGHT corner, I'm not doing that on the street with poorly cambered turns, I probably wouldn't need to ever use 2nd normally driving unless theres a stop sign or something. Either case I'd rev match once or twice and lightly touch the brake between gears and shift the last gear off throttle in the turn.
I don't have the throttle spacer, but I bought one because of this tread. I could heel toe with the pedals current position, but I feel like there's not enough heel room, I hit the tunnel. Can't heel toe in my 87 Accord because of the gas pedal sitting too low (the clutch and brake sit stupid high). Might have been able to do it in my old RSX, but the catch with those pedals is your clutch foot would hit the dead pedal, the Civic's pedals are in the perfect spot, shifted to the right... except for the gas
An example would be cruising along at 55 mph and slowing down for a turn onto a side road. Sometimes I might heel-toe into 3rd and then into 2nd, but most of the time I'll just slow down to maybe around 20-25 and then heel-toe into 2nd so that I'm ready to accelerate after turning.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Acuity pedal spacer but I don't heel-toe lol. Just wanted the spacer to move the accel pedal closer to the brake pedal. Now I moved my seat back a little and the clutch pedal is too far away... I think my root problem is the brake pedal being too damn high and close to the driver lol. Cons of having long legs ?

Ok, enough with the rant. I rev match by doing double-clutch downshifts. While slowing down/braking: clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, blip the throttle, clutch in, downshift, clutch out. When you blip the throttle, foot comes off the brake pedal to blip the throttle, but only for a second. The whole process should take 1-2 seconds.

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
An example would be cruising along at 55 mph and slowing down for a turn onto a side road. Sometimes I might heel-toe into 3rd and then into 2nd, but most of the time I'll just slow down to maybe around 20-25 and then heel-toe into 2nd so that I'm ready to accelerate after turning.
I probably more often go from 6th to 3rd. I am in this scenario every morning going to work, if I want to go fast I just drop 2nd after I'm straightened out on the county road. I use the brakes very conservatively and that makes a big difference on how much I would heel toe

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Its 100% possible, I do it all the time. Not as easy as other cars I've owned but not the worst I've seen either LOL
I was brand new to heel-toe, so when I tried it with OEM i was like uhhhhhhh... But glad you can do it lol no way I could daliy.

I rev match in the lower gears but not when going from 6th to 5th. A lot of times I just put it in neutral when slowing down. Then when I'm ready to accelerate I blip it and put it in gear. Now that I have a CTR I let the rev match do it for me
I forget what videos I saw, but several of them on youtube say it is bad to slow down in neutral and you should always leave it in gear. I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but I use to coast in 2nd gear when slowing in neutral, but hear it's best to slow down while keeping it gear.

I have the Acuity Pedal spacer, on it's highest setting ... it took me a few weeks to adjust my feet to it, but once I did ... WOW, what a difference. I don't heel/toe much ... unless I've got some jackass tailgaiting me in town ... then I proceed to agressive mode and drop 'em like a hot potato!

Any way ... I do a throttle blip, for rev match.
The gearing on the Si works perfectly, for me to blip to match.
That high setting was too much for me. I kept over revving when trying to match and when you need to aggressively brake, it made it nearly impossible. Middle setting worked best for me.
I was at first too, and since the quarantine has happened I've been driving a lot with my slides (which I hate, idk why I do it...convenience i guess) so I haven't been heel-toeing a lot lately, but it is so satisfying when you get a perfect downshift. The first time it happened with me it kind of freaked me out for a split second because I'm so used to the movement when downshifting. But absolutely zero when you hit it perfect. Like driving an automatic ;) haha.
Sponsored