Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Just noticed this hose is split open. Anyone know what this hose goes to?

Honda Civic 10th gen What is this hose for? A54E5551-5F6A-42D8-A629-A118A3DC63DE

Honda Civic 10th gen What is this hose for? 8A6B9EC9-2085-4452-A3D3-D9BA01A5DB17

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Material defect? I think that's the vacuum line that is connected to the PCV system after the series of baffles and the PCV valve, so it's kind of necessary to siphon off the evaporating fuel in your oil.

It would be a line that is removed to install like a mishimoti catch can. Did you buy the car used? Perhaps they ran a catch can before selling the car and messed up the original hose.

OP
OP
U.S.C

U.S.C

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Material defect? I think that's the vacuum line that is connected to the PCV system after the series of baffles and the PCV valve, so it's kind of necessary to siphon off the evaporating fuel in your oil.

It would be a line that is removed to install like a mishimoti catch can. Did you buy the car used? Perhaps they ran a catch can before selling the car and messed up the original hose.
Oh okay. Hmmm nope the car was brand new when I got it. Seems easy to replace tho.

OP
OP
U.S.C

U.S.C

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag

messenio

First Name
Tevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Just noticed the same thing happened to mine today. There's a slight splatter of oil above the tube on the underside of the hood.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Hmmmm. Any idea how that could have happened ? Lol
Honestly, being rubber and being subjected to repeated intense heat and cold weather (especially if you drive in winter), sometimes they just tend to split. You should be able to replace it with a hose from your local auto parts store or menards/lowes/HD so long as theyre the same grade of tubing.

tonywilliams845

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic rs
Country flag
Definitely a defectable part, been spending the last two F$&king days looking for a boost leak only to find I was looking in the wrong spot,
17131-59b-010
If not already posted, that’s the part no. You’re after

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Are there any other hose to watch out for?

it seems that specific hose is very common to break because on some previous post since i joined. They also mentioned that

Longislandcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 hatchback
Country flag
Every rubber hose and vacuum line will eventually perish. Hoses exposed to oil degrade faster.
Are there any other hose to watch out for?

it seems that specific hose is very common to break because on some previous post since i joined. They also mentioned that

ScottUKDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport, '21 e advance, '00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Country flag
This is indeed the PCV breather pipe. It connects to the valve cover, and pulls in vapour via internal passageway and controlled by the yellow valve part just visible at the bottom of the picture.

I had this hose fail on our UKDM sport (1.5T). The pipe had softened to the point that it split. It also smelt absolutely terrible. Really chemically.

I replaced the pipe and PCV valve. You can remove the valve and check that it isn't gummed up and is working (I read a test procedure for it somewhere). Be careful torqueing up the 10mm, it doesn't need much.

I took the pipe to a family member who is a rubber expert (formula design/manufacture/failure analysis), who said that the materials it is made out (as printed on the pipe) are rated for oil and oil vapour, but not for fuel vapour. This then confirmed to me that oil dilution is an issue, as there is no way fuel vapour should be present in this pipe (unless for oil dilution from fuel).

You can check if the failure is from fuel vapour or not. If you remove the pipe carefully, the part of the pipe that is on the spigot on the manifold should still be fairly hard/stiff rubber as it has not been subject to vapour. If the middle part is very soft, that is a good indication that fuel vapour is chemically deteriorating the pipe.

If my pipe fails again, I will most likely replace it with something uprated/suitable (bit of fuel hose perhaps). It's shape is not so important. The Honda part was cheap enough however.
Sponsored