NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone have or know what this button under the dash is and/or does? I've been looking around and haven't found an answer. It does not appear to be OEM and may be something my dealer installed as there's another screw-hole next to it (which I'm not happy about).

Honda Civic 10th gen What is this button? 0srbiMGl
Sponsored

shakeapaw

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 sport plus
Country flag
Does anyone have or know what this button under the dash is and/or does? I've been looking around and haven't found an answer. It does not appear to be OEM and may be something my dealer installed as there's another screw-hole next to it (which I'm not happy about).

0srbiMGl.jpg
What ever it is, it's a shocking install. Take it back to the dealer

SonicTyphoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Agreed. I’m surprised they had to drill two holes to install that thing. Almost looks like it could stick on with tape.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
Tracking and listening device. Like I saw on the X-Files. Just kidding. Did you buy the car used?

OP
OP
NoKz

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tracking and listening device. Like I saw on the X-Files. Just kidding. Did you buy the car used?
I bought it brand new from the dealership. 7 miles on the ODO.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
Odd. I went out with a hand mirror from our bathroom. Of course nothing but I learned I can reach the fuses maybe install another option later. That is so odd. It looks like a button on there. Did you press it? Dealers do add things and charge you for them. They are obvious like in my case tinted windows. This most would never find. So what is the purpose? I wonder where the wires lead? And a bit disturbing. Intent was not for you to find it. Maybe a way to access the car universal remote? If you are at the dealer you might take a mirror and look and see if other cars have this installed.

This bothers me. Sorry. I am normally not hyper about things like this but similar to insurance companies claiming to give you a discount to plug in a device to track everything you do. And yes some say they can and do track you with cell phones. I hardly use mine except for the wife calls. And I don't loose sleep over it.

This though. I would be concerned. Does it give others easy access to get in and drive off? Is the car financed? Maybe an easy way to repo???? Maybe all financed cars get this - just a thought. And if you don't trust the dealer maybe a independent car shop that installs electronics could assist? Either way, I am not sure I am comfortable if that was in my car. What if something got into the wrong hands? What is it capable of letting others do?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I'd definitely be demanding an answer from the dealer.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You must have requested some aftermarket dealer installed options like remote start (or I least I hope so). Could be the valet mode switch if that's the case. But please let us know what they say.

OP
OP
NoKz

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You must have requested some aftermarket dealer installed options like remote start (or I least I hope so). Could be the valet mode switch if that's the case. But please let us know what they say.
It's an SI. Remote start isn't available from the dealer. I didn't add anything extra. Buddy of mine who works for Honda responded and said he thinks it's the alarm sensitivity button. Push it to increase the sensitivity until it loops back to 1. I will test it when I'm off of work to confirm LOL.

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I highly doubt that it is remote start, the added component for remote start would be larger and be tucked away and have Honda on it

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I have a 19 si, sitting at the dealership waiting on them to finish replacing my tires to the all season I’ll look in mine when they’re done to see if I see anything soon

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

0srbiMGl.jpg
Is that purple thing a button? Is it a kill switch? Odd for that (whatever it is) to be installed without your knowledge.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Back in 2010 a student here in the Bay Area was having his car serviced and his mechanic found a device installed under the car. It turned out that the FBI had installed a tracking device on his car. And they wanted it back. True story
https://www.wired.com/2010/10/fbi-tracking-device/
Sponsored