What is the recommended protection for new CTR?

CTR Master

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Just got PMM CTR last Thursday. What is the recommended detail or coating/protection?

I read about Ceramic Coating and XPel, but not sure if people are getting it and if it is "worth it". If not protection, should I get a certain detail service?
Sponsored

Eagle_f90

Just got PMM CTR last Thursday. What is the recommended detail or coating/protection?

I read about Ceramic Coating and XPel, but not sure if people are getting it and if it is "worth it". If not protection, should I get a certain detail service?
I plan on doing a XPel Full front bumper, full hood, Headlights/Fogs, and full fender then doing a ceramic coat for the rest of the pain. I have seen what the XPel can protect from (saw a care scrape the front bumper against concrete and then pell the XPel off and show now scratches to the paint under it) and I am probibily doing a bit more then would normally be needed for the XPel but I plan on racing the car in Auto-X so this will help protect from the cones if I go off corse.

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I thought a lot about getting various kinds of expensive protection coverage, like half or full films and/or ceramic coatings. One of the more unusual considerations is that the OEM tires are sticky enough that they kick up extra road debris which can cause extra chipping behind the wheel wells. However, I found a highly recommended car detailer/restorer/body shop and talked to them about it, and they said that since I was using the car as a daily driver, even the full $5k protection on protection package (ceramic coating over full body films) was not going to keep it looking like a collector's car but it will make it harder for them to clean up any damage that does happen. They recommended I just come to them for routine wash and wax and quarterly detailing (which adds up to less than $1k/year and even with films I would still need most of it anyway). Having seen the before and after pictures of some of their restoration work, I was persuaded that they could keep the car looking great for less money than I'd spend on treatments.

The only protection I got was:
  • Tire and Wheel insurance. 5 years/$399. Less than half the cost of a single new wheel, around the cost of a single tire, and because of the low tire profile, a reasonable risk of collecting.
  • XPEL headlight protection film. Only the headlights, $175 installed. I plan on keeping the car a long time, and every other Honda/Acura I've seen over 10 years old has significant damage to the headlight lenses. I don't know if it is predominately abrasion from dirt or degradation of the plastic due to UV or some combination of both, but it is bad (affecting headlight performance significantly), ugly, and very common. The CTR lenses are uncommonly complex, which will make them difficult to restore, and rare enough they will be difficult to replace in 15 years. $175 to keep them looking new is about the same price for better results than a cheap restoration job.
  • Lamin-X Yellow Fog Light Covers. $20. Got these just because I liked the look and performance of yellow fog lights much better than white ones, but most of the arguments for getting the headlight protection films still apply.
The other kind of protection I got was LoJack and Carlock. I like Carlock because on top of immediately (well, 30-60 seconds) notifying me of the car being stolen, it will warn me if a valet takes the car for a joy ride or if someone hits the car while it is parked, plus it can give me immediate visibility into where the car is before the LoJack system kicks in.

mpt2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I thought a lot about getting various kinds of expensive protection coverage, like half or full films and/or ceramic coatings. One of the more unusual considerations is that the OEM tires are sticky enough that they kick up extra road debris which can cause extra chipping behind the wheel wells. However, I found a highly recommended car detailer/restorer/body shop and talked to them about it, and they said that since I was using the car as a daily driver, even the full $5k protection on protection package (ceramic coating over full body films) was not going to keep it looking like a collector's car but it will make it harder for them to clean up any damage that does happen. They recommended I just come to them for routine wash and wax and quarterly detailing (which adds up to less than $1k/year and even with films I would still need most of it anyway). Having seen the before and after pictures of some of their restoration work, I was persuaded that they could keep the car looking great for less money than I'd spend on treatments.

• Tire and Wheel insurance. 5 years/$399. Less than half the cost of a single new wheel, around the cost of a single tire, and because of the low tire profile, a reasonable risk of collecting.
  • XPEL headlight protection film. Only the headlights, $175 installed. I plan on keeping the car a long time, and every other Honda/Acura I've seen over 10 years old has significant damage to the headlight lenses. I don't know if it is predominately abrasion from dirt or degradation of the plastic due to UV or some combination of both, but it is bad (affecting headlight performance significantly), ugly, and very common. The CTR lenses are uncommonly complex, which will make them difficult to restore, and rare enough they will be difficult to replace in 15 years. $175 to keep them looking new is about the same price for better results than a cheap restoration job.
  • Lamin-X Yellow Fog Light Covers. $20. Got these just because I liked the look and performance of yellow fog lights much better than white ones, but most of the arguments for getting the headlight protection films still apply.
The other kind of protection I got was LoJack and Carlock. I like Carlock because on top of immediately (well, 30-60 seconds) notifying me of the car being stolen, it will warn me if a valet takes the car for a joy ride or if someone hits the car while it is parked, plus it can give me immediate visibility into where the car is before the LoJack system kicks in.

Thanks for the post, Im in the same boat and deciding on what I want to do when I pick up my CTR in 2-3 weeks. Would 303 protectant wiping on the lights every few months be enough to not warrant the film on the lights?

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I paid $1600 for a full ceramic covering with lifetime warranty. So far I’m very pleased with it. I am sort of daily driving mine, but I live in FL and my commute is 1 mile, so I don’t see the wear that most will. The best part to me is never waxing the car again. Washing is super easy as the dirt falls off easily and after a quick wash the car is back to looking brand new again.

hafadaze

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R (#1106)
Country flag
I paid $1600 for a full ceramic covering with lifetime warranty. So far I’m very pleased with it. I am sort of daily driving mine, but I live in FL and my commute is 1 mile, so I don’t see the wear that most will. The best part to me is never waxing the car again. Washing is super easy as the dirt falls off easily and after a quick wash the car is back to looking brand new again.
Got a 5 layer Ceramic Pro coating on mine... Had it for about 3 months now and have washed it once a month. Car has looked awesome after every wash. Love it!

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
What I did to my R:
Full PPF on the front hood, fenders, a pillars, 20% of roofline, mirrors, door cups, headlights, fog lights, emblems, cargo lip on rear bumper, rear hatch release switch area, rocker panels, rear wheel wells and door sills.

Then after being in winter storage for 6 months the car is back out and right now it is getting paint correction and then CS-II titanium coating put on the exposed paint, over the PPF and on the front faces of the rims.

I also got a windshield PPF film (exoshield) put on b/c even though the windshield is fairly inexpensive to replace with genuine Honda glass that I'd much prefer to try to keep the car as fresh from factory as I humanly can.

Not really overkill as far as protection goes but I didn't like the price tag to make all of the above happen. Expensive as heck.

OP
OP

CTR Master

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for all the help. I decided to go with a regular exterior detail for now. I don't think it would be that expensive to repair rock chips, and I may notown it for many years...

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag

I just bought myself a pair of the JDM Access Yellow LED fogs, and am looking to order a set of the Lamin-X clear fog light films for protection. I didn't see the Type-R as an option on Lamin-X's website though - did you just order the films for the hatchback fog lights?

typeaarrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
typeaarrr
Country flag
If you're super OCD, get a complete wrap. I would recommend getting xpel for the front.

Honestly, I would not spent more than $1k to protect my car. You can save the money and get it repaint again for that price.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I just bought myself a pair of the JDM Access Yellow LED fogs, and am looking to order a set of the Lamin-X clear fog light films for protection. I didn't see the Type-R as an option on Lamin-X's website though - did you just order the films for the hatchback fog lights?
That's what I did. I have the clear ones on the Honda Access Fogs.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Absolutely nothing . It's a honda not a P1 . I chipped my windshield, bumper , hood from lots of high speed runs . I consider them battle scars .

Nothing a touch up paint can't fix .

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Absolutely nothing . It's a honda not a P1 . I chipped my windshield, bumper , hood from lots of high speed runs . I consider them battle scars .

Nothing a touch up paint can't fix .
I agree. My CTR will be far from a daily driver, so I will be lucky enough to pick and choose when and where I drive it. I am going to do the same thing I do on my other cars: clay bar to remove any "rail dust" transportation junk, Menzerna Nano Polish with random orbital, followed up with a nice coat of Souveran wax....quick detail with Crystal Mist when I take it out, and I'm good to go...touch up paint when needed.

My Z06 has done many, many track weekends over the past 3 years, as well as around town driving and I have had to touch up just 3 very small areas, so I like my odds.......

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes, I ordered the "Honda Civic Hatchback (16- ) Yellow Fog Light Covers".

R-03781

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8R - MK7R - EG6
I Xpel'd my entire car as I do with all my cars(they're all black) I hate dealing with paint swirls.
Sponsored