What is the purpose of this bracket? (Front lower control arm)

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yesterday i swapped in Si springs into my Edm Civic Sedan 1.5t.While doing so i noticed when pushing the hub down this bracket on the lower control arm pushes into the Axle boot .I used thick foam in between the bracket and boot to prevent it from damaging the boot.
I think this is also the cause why many have damaged axle boots after lowering or installing lowering springs .

I've searched but haven't found any purpose for this bracket.So why is it even there???Nothing bolts onto it ,i also looked into other models but those also dont use it.Does anyone know why this bracket is there?It isn't to reinforce the control arm cause there's nothing there .Might be better to grind it off to give more clearance for the axle boot.(if it isn't used for something) ?It looks like it was designed to bolt some kind of end link onto it but maybe honda changed the design after the control arms where produced or something....?

Honda Civic 10th gen What is the purpose of this bracket? (Front lower control arm) lower control arm
Sponsored

Last edited:

TonyTheTiger57

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 T-Bird, 78 Cougar, 84 Bronco, 85 F150 17 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am pretty sure that is just something that is for assembly line workers only. It aided with assembly of the car is some way.

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've actually broke my axle and im pretty sure it was due to that part. From what I heard you can just cut it off if and you'll be fine when you lower your car. Tony is correct, it is part of the manufacture process.

OP
OP
Hondanickx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well i've been looking around to find some answers but i think it might just be something like you guys said.If i'm going to swap those arms out i'll cut that bracket off .

Ghosted

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Hondanickx,
How do you like the Si springs? How does it feels?

Thanks,