What is the most important thing for you to have in your car stereo?

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
You can only pic one. What is the most important to you?
Low Distortion
Bass
Volume
Flat sound frequency response.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Low Distortion
Bass
Volume
I just need it to sound decent. It can be hyped all to hell and have specs that don't look nice on paper (like crazy THD); but if it sounds good to my ear; I don't really care. Sorry... I know I didn't follow the rules.

OP
OP

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
I just need it to sound decent. It can be hyped all to hell and have specs that don't look nice on paper (like crazy THD); but if it sounds good to my ear; I don't really care. Sorry... I know I didn't follow the rules.

Oh I get your point. It's just interesting to me how everyone on here has to have a different perspective on what is going to make it sound better and what they want to do first to get that better sound.
For me it's distortion. Speaker distortion mostly. When it's bad after 15 minutes of it I'm worn out and turn it off. The HU will distort when pushed to far but speakers can distort at most any volume.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Agreed. It's easy to get caught up in specs and numbers. Ear fatigue is no joke, though. Sheesh.

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
I try to achieve flat sound frequency response along with low distortion by maintaining reasonable volume levels along with bass management. Do I win anything for using all of the key words?
In all seriousness, my priority is having a system that plays all frequencies in a clean way. It's funny how now a days I'm happy with my little 8 inch powered sub hooked up to a factory system. Likely I'll be adding a mini amp in the near future to round out my sound. In high school I had (4) 12 inch subs along with (2) 6x9's hooked up to 1,000ish watts. Yep, I was a bass head. Now I like an equal playing field for all frequencies.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Bass. Nothing hurts more than when the bass hits and your speakers sound like a tin can.

OP
OP

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Low Distortion
Bass
Volume
Wow, 143 views and only a couple know what is important for quality sound to them.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't really just pick one. All are necessary to an extent. In order of importance for me though are lack of distortion, the ability to equalize to my liking ( flat > bass) , volume

OP
OP

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Can't really just pick one. All are necessary to an extent. In order of importance for me though are lack of distortion, the ability to equalize to my liking ( flat > bass) , volume
I agree 100 percent on the order of your choice. Seems so many people want to shake there bones with a sub when in fact the tweeters are by far the worst part of the stereo and probably should be replaced first imo. I want it to sound accurate, be musical like it's intended to be.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Replaced the tweeters with silk-dome Alpine's with their crossovers, and also the center channel speaker with a JL Audio C2-350. These two upgrades made a huge difference for me, including turning off DTS Surround and volume speed adjustment. Waiting to install an AudioControls ACM-1.300 and Kicker CompR 10" sub next. I also found that playing through USB/CarPlay is tremendously better than Bluetooth, which most probably don't think about either.

OP
OP

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Clarity. But why not have it all? :)
Easy to upgrade.
$$$. I'm driving a lease car and I'm not going to sink much money into it. It's my worst turn off of the whole car. This is supposed to be a premium stereo. Not even close...

OP
OP

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
Replaced the tweeters with silk-dome Alpine's with their crossovers, and also the center channel speaker with a JL Audio C2-350. These two upgrades made a huge difference for me, including turning off DTS Surround and volume speed adjustment. Waiting to install an AudioControls ACM-1.300 and Kicker CompR 10" sub next. I also found that playing through USB/CarPlay is tremendously better than Bluetooth, which most probably don't think about either.
I'm also in the 603. What area are you in?
Sponsored