What is the max power you could make with this car while keeping it a sleeper (visually and audibly stock) ?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, if you wanted to keep the car visually and audibly stock, how would you go about modding the car to produce as much power as possible? From the outside, the car would appear stock and would be as quiet as factory. Other than the obvious better acceleration and speed, nobody would know the car is modified unless maybe they pop the hood. Is this possible? No special day to day requirements either, can use it like a stock CTR, which means 91/93 octane would be fine and would be a reliable and user-friendly daily driver in typical Honda fashion. In other words, something possibly Honda themselves might produce and sell if they were willing to raise the MSRP. How much power could the car generate with these limitations? 350hp? Or possibly more? I've always kept my cars stock power-wise and never explored this territory so I'm a complete idiot when it comes to power modding. But just thinking hypothetically down the line.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You basically described my setup. RV6 DP/FP, Hondata and stock catback. I'm not sure whp, but it definitely doesn't feel stock.

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
I'm full bolt ons including a catted downpipe and stock catback, with a custom Hondata 93 tune. Car sounds stock from the outside but makes probably about 390 horsepower. The car absolutely rips on the downlow.

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Great, good to know! So with those figures, an A45 AMG (2.0L 400+ hp) owner who wasn't a car guy would feel shocked that a lowly quiet and stock Honda Civic could keep up and possibly pass him from a roll lol.

Patches

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX5
Country flag
Great, good to know! So with those figures, an A45 AMG (2.0L 400+ hp) owner who wasn't a car guy would feel shocked that a lowly quiet and stock Honda Civic could keep up and possibly pass him from a roll lol.
If they didn't look twice at the crazy styling and suspect something wasn't normal, sure! Though maybe the SI's and co with the FK8 styled parts do us a favor by lowering the bar. In any case, they'd have to know they are racing too for it to really count

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
FBO+tune nets you like 400 HP which (from a post a few years back) is also a limitation of the stock exhaust. However, the downpipe is a bigger bottleneck. I'd wager you'll be stuck around the 340-360 range if you want to keep it sounding stock (no downpipes or exhausts). Though an intake removes the stock sound as you can hear the blowoff and induction noises better. Guess it depends on what you mean by sounding stock.

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
FBO+tune nets you like 400 HP which (from a post a few years back) is also a limitation of the stock exhaust. However, the downpipe is a bigger bottleneck. I'd wager you'll be stuck around the 340-360 range if you want to keep it sounding stock (no downpipes or exhausts). Though an intake removes the stock sound as you can hear the blowoff and induction noises better. Guess it depends on what you mean by sounding stock.
When I said sounding like stock, I meant if you were standing outside the car blindfolded and someone drove away in the car or did a fly-by, you would have no idea the car is modified from the noise (aside from the engine revving slightly faster in each gear from the quicker acceleration). Not any louder, no changes in drivetrain note, and no crackle/pops lol.

ctl

First Name
ctl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2017 BMW 430i gran coupe, 2020 BMW X3 M40i, 1991 CRX SI
Country flag
Best mods would be hondata, flex fuel kit, xdi fuel pump, fuel line mod and a custom tune. Every thing else all stock.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
With a stock DP? Remember, he wants it to sound stock. Most aftermarket DP seem to change the sound of the car for the louder.
Cated or catless is the same in terms of sound .

Subzerotyper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 typeR
Country flag
catless is just a hair more turbo sound than the catted. not really any louder maybe a few decibal. i'll be shooting for 500 on aftermarket catless dp, fp, and stock exhaust. may do an electric or vacuum controlled cutout where the first resonator is so there is no bottleneck

jb99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type-r
Country flag
I did 448 on e30, xdi fuel system (pump/injectors), MHI stage 2, and PRL IC/HVI/Race MAF. Looks completely stock except for IC/intake. I just added PRL dp/fp so still have stock look with a slightly deeper exhaust tone. I'll probably be back on the dyno in 2-3 weeks to see if the dp gets me to 500 while looking/sounding stock.

RStoR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 SI Sedan & '18 RR #18407
Country flag
Derek Robinson posted this in the FK8 FB group. Is this your's jb99?

Honda Civic 10th gen What is the max power you could make with this car while keeping it a sleeper (visually and audibly stock) ? 1644972113159

Honda Civic 10th gen What is the max power you could make with this car while keeping it a sleeper (visually and audibly stock) ? 1644972154807