What is the best way to get 400 or close to 400 hp?

Moises

First Name
Moises
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda type r
Country flag
What’s the best mods to get to 400 or close to 400 hp on a type r ?
Sponsored

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Question... in the "Most Beneficial" table, you list Ethanol, methanol and race fuel on the same line, but in the table Estimated Horsepower you don't mention race fuel (100 octane?).

When it comes to HP/Torque, are the outputs very similar to Flex fuel?

I wonder because I have a station with race fuel just down the street, and if I can get near to 400 HP with just a downpipe and tune and race fuel.... That would be pretty affordable and easy for me...

Purple Drink

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2007 Subaru STI, 1965 El Camino
Country flag
Best way and easiest way.... buy mine from me.... lol

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Question... in the "Most Beneficial" table, you list Ethanol, methanol and race fuel on the same line, but in the table Estimated Horsepower you don't mention race fuel (100 octane?).

When it comes to HP/Torque, are the outputs very similar to Flex fuel?

I wonder because I have a station with race fuel just down the street, and if I can get near to 400 HP with just a downpipe and tune and race fuel.... That would be pretty affordable and easy for me...
Race fuel is the hardest to come by and I have the least amount of data on that, but it should get you to 400.

According to this document from the US Department of Energy, each additional 10% of ethanol increases octane levels by 2-3 points, with 100% ethanol being 113 octane.

If you take 93 octane and add E85 to it to make it E30 (the ideal ratio for an R without an aftermarket fuel pump), it should be about 99 octane, having the equivalent detonation resistance of race gas.

It's INSANELY more expensive to run race gas than a 93-E30 mix, though. On the other hand, race fuel may have a benefit in that you don't have to reduce boost like you do with ethanol and it will probably get you even further than 400. Ethanol requires more volume, so our pumps get tapped out even earlier. Not so with 100 octane.

I'd go fill up a tank of 100 octane myself to find out how it compares to E30, but my wife would kill me if she found out I filled up a $100 tank of gas. :rofl:

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Race fuel is the hardest to come by and I have the least amount of data on that, but it should get you to 400.

According to this document from the US Department of Energy, each additional 10% of ethanol increases octane levels by 2-3 points, with 100% ethanol being 113 octane.

If you take 93 octane and add E85 to it to make it E30 (the ideal ratio for an R without an aftermarket fuel pump), it should be about 99 octane, having the equivalent detonation resistance of race gas.

It's INSANELY more expensive to run race gas than a 93-E30 mix, though. On the other hand, race fuel may have a benefit in that you don't have to reduce boost like you do with ethanol and it will probably get you even further than 400. Ethanol requires more volume, so our pumps get tapped out even earlier. Not so with 100 octane.

I'd go fill up a tank of 100 octane myself to find out how it compares to E30, but my wife would kill me if she found out I filled up a $100 tank of gas. :rofl:
So, will the stock ECU tune itself to 100 octane? Any idea? Any idea what HP/Tq one would get with a stock R (no tune) running race fuel?

I mean if the ECU is so smart as to tune itself to 100 octane and I only have to do it when I want and its going to give me something like 350WHP... like track day or once in awhile to find out... And if I don't tell my wife... :)

(edit: only 91 octane in AZ. Maybe some E85, but I know where 100 is!)

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Trade for a Mustang GT.
:rolleyes:
So, will the stock ECU tune itself to 100 octane? Any idea? Any idea what HP/Tq one would get with a stock R (no tune) running race fuel?

I mean if the ECU is so smart as to tune itself to 100 octane and I only have to do it when I want and its going to give me something like 350WHP... like track day or once in awhile to find out... And if I don't tell my wife... :)

No, it will not. To see the benefits of higher octane fuel requires a custom tune. You will see zero gains otherwise.

Other 10th gen Hondas have a knock control strategy that technically learns the octane, but we don't.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
@MadMage I forgot to mention that there IS a 100 octane basemap from Hondata, although it leaves a lot on the table.

Flex fuel with ethanol is the way to achieve 'power when you want it' because it can measure the ethanol content to adjust things, whereas the ECU has no way to know what the octane level is when you throw 100 octane in.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag

You're most likely getting some knock on 91 (pulling timing), therefore, making slightly less than what the ECU is capable of.

Use 93 or add 2-3 gallons of E85 mix.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
I run E85 . 4-5 gallons using hondata e30 tune no flex fuel kit, mixed with 91 octain
no knocking no issues

6500ft alt
Sponsored