What is more reliable for the long term 2.0L vs 1.5L Turbo

Which do you think is more reliable with regular oil changes?

• Total voters

Devcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T Coupe 1.5L T, 2020 Camaro LT1 6.2L V8, 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0L L6
Country flag
According to this sub-forum the Civic does not have an oil temperature sensor.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/pids-for-torque-torque-pro.23291/

My other car has digital gauges & the oil temp gets to 215 degrees after about 10 miles of suburban driving. Water temp is about 204.
Hmmm interesting I will see if there is an update needed for my thing then. I do find it odd because when I went to look at Trans temp with it it gave me the -- which means that it didn't have it. I assumed since I got the reading for the Oil temp it had it. I will also see if I can get a hold of of my old buddies that I used to work with to see if I can hook up my car to their tools to see as well and see what their tools say since their stuff is much newer than mine. If they don't get the reading for oil temp then my thing is inaccurate. I will update once I get this done.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Hmmm interesting I will see if there is an update needed for my thing then. I do find it odd because when I went to look at Trans temp with it it gave me the -- which means that it didn't have it. I assumed since I got the reading for the Oil temp it had it. I will also see if I can get a hold of of my old buddies that I used to work with to see if I can hook up my car to their tools to see as well and see what their tools say since their stuff is much newer than mine. If they don't get the reading for oil temp then my thing is inaccurate. I will update once I get this done.
I think the best way would be to check in the honda service manual if there is an oil temp sensor or not. I can imagine (maaaybe) that the car gives you an estimated value without having a sensor in the car. But I don’t find it probable.
Edit: others in the oil pressure sensor thread did it, and the civics do not have pressure sensors, just multiple oil pressure switches. And the tools are showing estimated values.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You can think and assume and check as much as you wish with your friends. There is no oil temperature gauge in the car, so unless an aftermarket one was installed, whatever your device shows is made up.

Devcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T Coupe 1.5L T, 2020 Camaro LT1 6.2L V8, 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0L L6
Country flag
Edit: others in the oil pressure sensor thread did it, and the civics do not have pressure sensors, just multiple oil pressure switches. And the tools are showing estimated values
Well found out from one of my friends who used to be an engine tech at honda before moving over to Ford a year ago that Honda can get a rough estimate of the oil temp info from the same sensor that moniters your oil life level. He told me not to trust my scan tool though it will give inaccurate readings because of this. So I guess it is the same thing like what they found out with the oil pressure sensors but I won't get an accurate reading or even close to an estimate like Honda can or those in that thread can with oil pressure. I apologize for my original post about it. Now I know.

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
I was always told to warm up an engine and let the engine build up oil pressure by a mechanic ( my older brother now a retired mechanic) and let engine idle before putting it into gear I let my cars
non turbocharged and turbocharged ( especially) warm and idle for 60 seconds before putting it in gear. When I lived in New York in the winter it was a longer warm up time You need to let your engine warm up before putting any stress on it regardless if turbo or non turbo and diesel or gas It just like for some of us that need a hot cup of coffee in the morning to start the day :)
With 0w-20 oil on modern engines there's no reason to warm up (save turbos). The oil viscosity is already where it needs to be, and takes half a second for the oil pump to coat the valves. That's not to say you should red line a cold engine, either.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
With 0w-20 oil on modern engines there's no reason to warm up (save turbos). The oil viscosity is already where it needs to be, and takes half a second for the oil pump to coat the valves. That's not to say you should red line a cold engine, either.
I understand But I’ve been driving since 1985 and numerous cars and done this procedure ever since and also when parking put in neutral engage parking brake then put in park I was told to do these procedures since day one
it’s just second nature to me.

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read that Toyota doesn't use Turbos because of reliability. If you don't have one it can't go bad. People buy a Toyota because they're known for reliability. You can argue that point, but before buying the Civic my wife was the original owner of a 1989 Camry for 29 years & it was our daily driver.
That Camry is great. My mom had one as well =)

DeftonesOneLove

First Name
Cisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan (6-Speed 2.0L NA)
Country flag
I've read some of your prior posts so I'm aware of your wild appreciation for the 2.0. No judgment here, different strokes for different folks. But you must realize that yours is the minority opinion. Reliability questions aside - the vast majority prefer the driving experience of the 1.5t over that of the 2.0. Even 6mt vs 6mt. There's a reason Honda positioned that engine as the upgrade option.

And given that (as several others have noted) either engine may well outlast the rest of the car, I think driving experience should play a role in the decision-making process. I realize OP's question specifically regarded reliability only, but I'd have a hard time choosing a vehicle based on that sole factor. My perspective is that the 2.0 is a nice engine - but the 1.5t is a lot more entertaining, and has quite a bit more easily-accessible headroom (if I ever decide to tune). I intend to keep the car for a long time, and I don't see any reason to believe the 1.5t will crap out during my ownership period. So I was perfectly comfortable choosing the engine/platform offering the highest "smiles per gallon" rating.

ymmv, of course, as with all matters of opinion & preference.
I completely agree with you, having a 1.5L Turbo vs 2.0NA is going to give you a way better driving experience performance-wise. But the true test of time and reliability hasn’t been implemented on these 1.5L Turbo engines. Therefore, either these 1.5L Turbos are going to to be a “live fast, die young” engine, or they’re going to be a “live fast, die normal” engine. If you’re leasing, then go with with the Turbo version for sure because it will be fun :), if your buying and don’t want to take a risk, then go with the NA version. I think the older crowd like me won’t take their chances with these new turbo engines and will stick to the tried and true NA engines (6MT of course). But of course, all of us “2.0L NA” crowd could be eating our words in 10 years....or not. Only time will tell with these new gen motors. Regardless, I’m over the hardcore “racing” days and am driving my 2.0L NA (6MT) very lively daily and am very entertained with every one of my commutes. I’m loving every bit of my 2020 Sport Sedan.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
The turbocharger will worn out eventually down the road.

Darkabstract

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic LX-P 2.0l
Country flag
I have a 2017 Honda Civic lxp coupe with a 2.0. I have over 222,000 miles (357,254km) on it and still no issues. Regular oil changes. The check engine light has never been indicated

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sponsored