WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY CIVIC!?!?!?

fmoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I never do this ever but I did this one time only due to being very late and stuck in traffic due to construction I really regret driving lik that and will never drive like this again. So about three days ago during a 60 to 70 degree F weather I started my car and started driving right away. I was in a hurry and was getting very late to get somewhere.

I started to drive in D with ECON ON and the Map 1 of the Phearable 1.5R Tune using KTunerV2 for my all stock 2017 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan 1.5L Turbocharged CVT with only 93 OCTANE in the fuel tank. At this time my car had only a range of 40 miles or less till I was empty on fuel. It also had a 5 percent oil life light that came on a day or two ago.

I was driving a bit aggressive at first. Drove a while like that for 10 minutes. Then in the middle of my drive at a red light I had turned ECON OFF and switched transmission gear from D to S and put on Map 3 of the same tune. After doing that I was driving very super aggressive trying to hurry. Yes I know stupid ass thing to do now I regret doing that. So at every stop light I had launched the car very aggressive that I was pressing down the pedal super hard all the way down making the tires spin noise and then driving the car hitting speeds of 80 to 115 mph.

During all of this I was turning my car AC ON and OFF a few times. My AC has always worked since I had the car which I bought brand new in 2017. The AC wasn’t as strong as I thought it should have been compared to other cars that are even much older. But this year when summer was starting I tried to use my AC and it was blowing warm air from it. I took it to a shop and they plugged in filled the refrigerant for about a minute or less which then made the AC start working again. It was a little better then it was ever but still not as strong especially on very hot sunny days but at night it worked much more stronger and better.

Now after getting on the highway and being about 15 mins or less from my destination I started to drive a less aggressive then I was doing before. I also had left the AC ON for a little while now. While driving on the highway hitting 60 to 70 mph the middle dash right vent was blowing a light smoke kind of like vapor smoke with a smell to it. When I saw that start happening I turned off the AC right away and still continued to drive to my destination. Once I got there and turned off my car I let it cool down for about hour before having to drive again. When I went to start driving normally to go back home I turned on my AC which was now blowing warm air from the middle dash left vent and also the driver side vent too but on the middle dash right vent and on the passenger side vent it was blowing cold air. Does anyone know how to solve this problem or what is causing this to happen and how to repair it? Please if you can let me know as soon as possible to fix this issue I am having now. Thank you

TL;DR: Drove car very super aggressive with AC ON. Randomly during drive AC started to have a light smoke vapor like blowing out of middle dash right vent with a smell to it. Turned off AC after seeing that. Parked car let it cool down for about an hour and then started to drive again. When driving normally back home I turned AC ON. Which then AC started to blow warm air from the middle dash left vent and driver side vent. While the middle dash right vent and passenger side vent was blowing cold air only. Does anyone know how to solve this problem or what is causing this issue to happen with my car AC and how to repair it? Thank you
Sponsored

Last edited:

Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic ex hatchback hpf edition
Country flag
There’s a recall on our A/c units going out like that. I had similar experience with out the aggressive driving. Honda should be able to take care of you.

OP
OP

fmoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There’s a recall on our A/c units going out like that. I had similar experience with out the aggressive driving. Honda should be able to take care of you.
Yeah I have heard about that and looked it up thinking the same thing is also happening to my car now. Now when I did a VIN check for the recall it says that I don’t have any recalls for my car. I think it was from the Kelley blue book website that I searched for the recall using my cars VIN number. Could that be incorrect from the website?

Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It isn’t technically a recall per say. I’ve typed in my vin as well and nothing.

Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They extended the warranty for 10 years, if the condenser fail your good to go. Now if they find that for some reason a rock might of punctured the condenser causing the Freon leak then yeah that’s not covered. Again that wasn’t my case, reflashed to stock tune, took it in and back in 2 days

OP
OP

fmoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They extended the warranty for 10 years, if the condenser fail your good to go. Now if they find that for some reason a rock might of punctured the condenser causing the Freon leak then yeah that’s not covered. Again that wasn’t my case, reflashed to stock tune, took it in and back in 2 days
Ok Thank you! I will try this then hopefully this will solve my AC problem

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Vapor in the car come from evaporator or their parts under the dash
The recal is ( IMO ) only from the condenser in front of the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY CIVIC!?!?!? Capture d’écran, le 2022-09-16 à 05.05.22

OP
OP

fmoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Vapor in the car come from evaporator or their parts under the dash
The recal is ( IMO ) only from the condenser in front of the car.

Capture d’écran, le 2022-09-16 à 05.05.22.png
The vapor like smoke only happened one time I never had this happen before or even again after the first time it happened. Can it still be the evaporator in this case?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
A few things.

1. Why is your MM down to 5% on the oil? Especially tuned! Get that oil changed asap!

2. I highly doubt your crazy early morning driving had anything to do with that vapor you were seeing.

3. Like was said earlier, take your car to the dealer and mention the condenser TSB (19-091). And get that oil changed!!!

4. Add your car to my community tuning thread.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The vapor like smoke only happened one time I never had this happen before or even again after the first time it happened. Can it still be the evaporator in this case?

Update;

Is heating working ?

Vapor are from water; Heating unit are under the dash

Last edited:
OP
OP

fmoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A few things.

1. Why is your MM down to 5% on the oil? Especially tuned! Get that oil changed asap!

2. I highly doubt your crazy early morning driving had anything to do with that vapor you were seeing.

3. Like was said earlier, take your car to the dealer and mention the condenser TSB (19-091). And get that oil changed!!!

4. Add your car to my community tuning thread.
Yes that was irresponsible of me to even do. I did get the oil change done the next day after this incident while it was still 5% oil life left. Usually I have it changed when there is 10 to 15 percent oil life. But I keep getting the 15% alert everytime when I have driven around 2,800-3,500 miles since last oil change of full synthetic oil.

i will be doing that ASAP with the AC Condenser. Thank you

Update;

Is heating working ?

Vapor are from water; Heating unit are under the dash
Yeah it seems like the heater is working fine

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The evaporator in these cars is just as crap as the condenser. Sound like it failed and vented out. You may be able to get you dealer to work with Honda district manager to get customer sat warranty help. This is a very expensive and invasive repair. Good luck!
Sponsored