What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ?

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Service tech was kind of jerking me around. Not interested in seeing my vids... saying they were too backed up with "big jobs" to look at it and I needed to leave the car and they'd get to it later. If they didn't sit in the car and hear something... I'd just pay a $55 diagnostic charge and come pick it up. Made an appointment and drove 1.5 hours to essentially be told my appointment was important enough to keep.

Yeah... there's a reason why I do all my own preventative maintenance. I'll figure this one out too.

Good news though... get all my sound deadening goodies delivered to my front door while I was gone. Found my set of NIB 6.5” speakers I got a year back intending to put into a car with just a stock head unit I thought would sound ok. Time to play...
Honda Civic 10th gen What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ? 4FCD415B-CE3A-4C59-A1EB-FF53B62F08A0
Sponsored

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Service tech was kind of jerking me around. Not interested in seeing my vids... saying they were too backed up with "big jobs" to look at it and I needed to leave the car and they'd get to it later. If they didn't sit in the car and hear something... I'd just pay a $55 diagnostic charge and come pick it up. Made an appointment and drove 1.5 hours to essentially be told my appointment was important enough to keep.

Yeah... there's a reason why I do all my own preventative maintenance. I'll figure this one out too.

Good news though... get all my sound deadening goodies delivered to my front door while I was gone. Found my set of NIB 6.5” speakers I got a year back intending to put into a car with just a stock head unit I thought would sound ok. Time to play...
4FCD415B-CE3A-4C59-A1EB-FF53B62F08A0.jpeg
Sorry you have a crap dealership. At least you got to drive the Civic.

I just bought sound deadening and speakers, too. Plan to pull the door card and upgrade, including adding leather arm rests.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry you have a crap dealership. At least you got to drive the Civic.

I just bought sound deadening and speakers, too. Plan to pull the door card and upgrade, including adding leather arm rests.
3 Honda dealers and Jax and 2 have had service departments that have jerked me around in the past. I almost wish they'd just provide an even shorter than normal warranty at a discount for all the good it does to have one. ?

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So... I have a mechanics stethoscope and did a little poking around. As to the noise... I know a few things:

It isn’t anything under the dash speaker. I’ve touched everything I was reasonable able to touch there and lined it with felt while it is out. Defiantly not the blower, filter or the electronics on the front passenger corner. I pick it up, but seemingly indirectly by touching on some stuff that’s somewhat in the center of the dash. I’ll shoot some pictures of some stuff tomorrow. Pretty sure some disassembly will be required. Checked back in the engine bay side of the firewall and can’t pick it up. I’m not 100% where the solenoid for the heater core is or the heater core itself. The only 2 I’ve messed with on other cars were I the engine compartment... but it’s something that’s be throttle constantly regardless of the blower being on or off. Just a wild ass guess.

The dealer did contact me and ask about me bringing the car back. It’s a 1.5 hour round trip drive for me. They offered a loaner... but I said I didn’t want to do 3 hours of driving just so they could continue to not hold an appointment (they keep just wanting me to drop off... not do a ride along and not have to really look at it except when they get around to it). Then they asked about driving up and getting it. I thanked them and said not right now.

I’ll shoot some pictures and I’ll need to review the FSM to see what exactly is behind the dash... behind the infotainment and the best way to get back there. If you pull the glove box, look to the center of the car there’s a lot of black plastic that looks like it may be the center ducting. Some white bits of plastic are scattered around. I pick the noise up there... but it’s just resonating... I haven’t found it yet.

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s 2020 and I learned how to upload videos to that newfangled YouTube just for this! ?

There’s a noise... sounds like a damn playing card in the spokes of a bike. I figured it was just something stuck in the blower motor which is (relatively) easy to get to. It’s independent of whether the blower motor is on or off. ? Sucks. It’s also kind of intermittent... so double damn. Sounds way back in the dash. I don’t think it’s on the other side of the firewall... but I’ve got more digging to do. Anyone have something similar?

As a bonus... these damn doors (sigh). I figure it’s an easy pull off the control portion... maybe tighten a screw underneath and then put felt here or there. Suggestions appreciated. Car sounds like a 20 year old Kia these days.

My rattle is from the blower unit but depends on the vehicle rpm, that’s crazy annoying but this is way worse. As for the doors I’ve pulled the cover and tightened mine once but it was loose again a couple weeks later.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My rattle is from the blower unit but depends on the vehicle rpm, that’s crazy annoying but this is way worse. As for the doors I’ve pulled the cover and tightened mine once but it was loose again a couple weeks later.
Doing a little homework w/the FSM to see anything that can move. Any solenoid or relay. I’m thinking it’s chatter from one or another.

Honda Civic 10th gen What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ? 0B6E5357-184C-4866-9C54-76FE643B7F89

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So there’s mixing motors (2 for the dual
zone) and a recirc motor that controls dampers. There’s some stuff on the Accord and Odyssey forums and vids of them freaking out and clicking and clacking back and forth. Not sure if that’ll be it but it’s what I’ll check out tomorrow. A few of the vids sounded very similar to mine. Since the arms are (somewhat) visible... as long as I can break my bones and contort to the right position, I might be able to see it cycling with the noise. We shall see. Relatively cheap part. If it’s only that.... I’ll be lucky.

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nevermind, I’m on the highway and it came back

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nevermind, I’m on the highway and it came back
Im probably taking the day off. I got up early to look at a piece of land for a hunting lease and have been doing other randomness and I think I’m taking a break from Civic-ing.

Other than the recirc and 2 mixing (1 I’d you didn’t have 2 zone climate) there is an old thread that discussed a VSA modulator causing relay clicks audible around the floor area of the dash... but it seems like a 2016 thing and it didn’t sound exactly the same at least from what few vids had workingattachments from then

Anyways here’s the noise for another Honda. Odysseys... Accords... its kind of reoccurring throughout our make of cars apparently. Not saying this is it... but it’s a possibility.

I did look at the FSM and there’s some climate control diagnostics I need if can be performed via the HU alone or if it requires some Honda diagnostic machine magic. There is a way to see the % open for all of the motors that control the dampers. If I can see a flutter on a diagnostic mode that’d be a give away. I’ll read into it a bit more.

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
Dang, my low rev rattle was the stupid light sensor. But i do have a nutty wooling from the drive side that i can't nail down without visors

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I’ve kind of been sucking... as I haven’t been aggressive in going after this last noise. It is intermittent and sometimes I can go awhile without hearing it. Well... at the moment I’m sitting at the bus stop to bring the little ones home... and am fooling w/it.

I’m now 84.2% sure it’s the passenger side mixing motor and it’s the damper fluttering that I’m hearing as the mixing motor is losing its mind. The motor itself makes a Robocop-esk electronic noise as it operates with an audible click when operating properly. You can cause it to happen when your change either zone of the climate control. I think the motor has a reed switch setup or something that goes bad or something that might get weird and it loses its mind as it doesn’t know what position it’s in so it does a flop and twitch. Not sure... anyways... here’s me fooling with the climate control and affecting the noise.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is that 84.2 + or - 0.4? Once you finish nailing it down are you going to make that drive to the dealer and school em a little?

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is that 84.2 + or - 0.4? Once you finish nailing it down are you going to make that drive to the dealer and school em a little?
Naw. They wouldn’t care and it wouldn’t be worth my time anyways. :dunno: I mean, I probably could have got a replacement battery for the Civic had I been willing to drive back there but I chose to pay out-of-pocket for a one I could locally get and locally replace if it doesn’t last through its warranty. I really... really don’t like service departments at dealerships. Almost to a fault.

I’ll have to see if some disassembly is required to get to it. Probably some... but I doubt it’d be that bad. I just want to get down and visually see it’s arm shuddering if at all possible before I replace it. I hate throwing parts at a problem and not fixing it.
Sponsored