What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ?

svffr

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 PMM Civic EX, '19 CBP Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My driver side visor rattles like hell, haven't gotten around to fixing it yet though. Also, I am noticing a rattle coming from the front center console. Really annoying when driving on the highway.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had the same issue on mine since day one. I was told it's some type of solenoid and that it's normal.
That sounds like a cop-out from the dealer. I went 2.5 years w/o this sound. (sigh) I’m an old navy electricians and solenoids don’t rattle unless they’re not mounted properly. I made an appointment w/the dealer tomorrow morning. I have a couple months of my B2B warranty. I can cross shop an Accord for fun while I’m there and check out another car in Jax before I head home.

It is a very good data point as to something to look for though. I may go digging if I keep the car and they don’t solve the problem. Thanks!

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's more of a mechanical clicking, and it's intermittent.
Hmmm... mine is intermittent. I feel like this is more of a click than rattle myself. It sounds like a really crisp playing card is in the spokes of a bicycle tire not spinning at a constant speed.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ll see what Honda can/can’t do tomorrow and will have the trim removal stuff and my sound deadening stuff here tomorrow by the time I get back from Jacksonville. I may have to start digging. Fortunately the under-dash area is actually pretty open and the blower motor looks to come out easy to allow for digging very deep if need be.

Last 2 months of the B2B warranty... I might as well give them a go.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
We had a bit of a cold morning here and my interior was snap crackle and popping all the way to work. Very annoying.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
Other that the four tweeters in the doors, my driver side sun visor rattles.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well... at least you know the source of those rattles.
That’s the thing. This one is bad and deep in there. I’ve had door rattles... awful door creaks from just touching them (per the video) the center console, A-pillars, the center speaker grill on the dash just to make a few... but they’re easy to get to and correct. This one though.... and it’s worse. I take my girls crawling around in it to let them spin Pokémon stops for their game. I can’t hardly stand to sit and idle in the thing with the dash screaming at me while they’re doing their battles (from my POV).

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Haven’t gone to the dealer on it.
Therapy may be in order. The creaks, rattles and clunks are something that just drive me crazy. I’m an old submarine nuke electrician and have have to listen for this or that on a running machine to diagnose if something is wrong to where any noise out of place is somewhere between slight annoyance and fight-or-flight for me. ?

I considered trying to never touch the door handles again... but getting in and having to launch the car after I back out of the driveway to get the doors to no-touch shut may freak out the neighbors.

Cabin filter is fine. Blower motor is clear. The noise occurs whether the blower is on or off.
My Si had all these noises and more. It's one thing I won't miss. It was a nightmare in the winter because in addition to all the noises found around the cabin, I also had a RMM installed so that was fun. I took my doors apart and added sound deadening material all over the door panels and it helped a lot but there were still some noises. My fan blower also made a bit of noise sometimes but nothing like yours and the music drowned it out.

Legendary 88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Hmmm... mine is intermittent. I feel like this is more of a click than rattle myself. It sounds like a really crisp playing card is in the spokes of a bicycle tire not spinning at a constant speed.
Yep, same thing I have. Kinda sounds like a typewriter or morse code.