What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ?

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dropped off the car for some end-of-my B2B warranty work. I’d had an odd AC flow noise since I’ve had the car and had a evac/recharge of Freon at one point a year and a half ago. Asked them to check again and said the compressor was leaking oil and replaced the compressor under warranty.

As to the rattle in this thread... they said it was from the rear view mirror and tightened it (not sure how that’s done... I thought they were glued). Mentioned again I’d showed them a vid of it starting stopping by adjusting the pass side climate controls and how it’s from under the dash... not above. Said they’d write up a thing to cover it pst my warranty period since it was a in-warranty concern.

I love the local dealer in that I bought the car in Saturday morning and they didn’t even start looking at it until this morning (Monday) even with me making appts ahead of time. I do think they do okay... not great... but okay work. I’m realistic when it comes to getting people to try and fix intermittent problems... I just hate that I drop cars off days ahead of time and it’s at their convenience when they get to it. I’m not sure why appointments exist... :dunno: Z went back to the painter for touchups and I’m down to only 2 cars. I guess I should be happy I’m not having to walk places/ride share/use public transportation.
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Dropped off the car for some end-of-my B2B warranty work. I’d had an odd AC flow noise since I’ve had the car and had a evac/recharge of Freon at one point a year and a half ago. Asked them to check again and said the compressor was leaking oil and replaced the compressor under warranty.

As to the rattle in this thread... they said it was from the rear view mirror and tightened it (not sure how that’s done... I thought they were glued). Mentioned again I’d showed them a vid of it starting stopping by adjusting the pass side climate controls and how it’s from under the dash... not above. Said they’d write up a thing to cover it pst my warranty period since it was a in-warranty concern.

I love the local dealer in that I bought the car in Saturday morning and they didn’t even start looking at it until this morning (Monday) even with me making appts ahead of time. I do think they do okay... not great... but okay work. I’m realistic when it comes to getting people to try and fix intermittent problems... I just hate that I drop cars off days ahead of time and it’s at their convenience when they get to it. I’m not sure why appointments exist... :dunno: Z went back to the painter for touchups and I’m down to only 2 cars. I guess I should be happy I’m not having to walk places/ride share/use public transportation.
I'm pretty sure at this point dealership service appointments only exist as a means to force their influx of work to be spread out. It has absolutely zero benefit to the customer.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm pretty sure at this point dealership service appointments only exist as a means to force their influx of work to be spread out. It has absolutely zero benefit to the customer.
Yeah. They did recommend turning my rotors. $150 per axle. $300 total.

I did all 4 rotors all around on the Odyssey... some Akebonos as I recall (I know the pads were Akebonos... I think the rotors were too). I... don’t think I spent $300 on new rotors all around. I almost let them do for convenience sake for $150 (what he originally said) until they said that was per axle. I actually laughed. I looked them up and while OEM rotors are pretty expensive at about $100/each... I can’t imagine paying near new-OEM rotor prices to get my old ones turned. Given I have zero pedal pulsing and it stops painfully well... I wonder if they’re just looking at pulling cosmetic threading off the rotors...? There are places around here that’ll turn them for $10 each if you bring them in yourself. :dunno:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah. They did recommend turning my rotors. $150 per axle. $300 total.

I did all 4 rotors all around on the Odyssey... some Akebonos as I recall (I know the pads were Akebonos... I think the rotors were too). I... don’t think I spent $300 on new rotors all around. I almost let them do for convenience sake for $150 (what he originally said) until they said that was per axle. I actually laughed. I looked them up and while OEM rotors are pretty expensive at about $100/each... I can’t imagine paying near new-OEM rotor prices to get my old ones turned. Given I have zero pedal pulsing and it stops painfully well... I wonder if they’re just looking at pulling cosmetic threading off the rotors...? There are places around here that’ll turn them for $10 each if you bring them in yourself. :dunno:
That's the difference a well informed consumer makes. You can buy brand new for that price, which is how I handled my wife's Santa Fe brakes. Brand new rotors and pads for less than a turn down.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's the difference a well informed consumer makes. You can buy brand new for that price, which is how I handled my wife's Santa Fe brakes. Brand new rotors and pads for less than a turn down.
Yeah... I looked at all the Rock Auto stuff... and it looks like $25-40 per corner for the not-economy stuff is the going price. Hell... pretty sure that’s less than the Odyssey. Given the Odyssey weighs 1.5x my Si... and could conceivably pull my Civic worth of weight too... makes sense it’s brakes should be beefy.

Oh well. I am consistently surprised at how much dealers charge for things. I can get a rotation if I want to be lazy for $10 at the Tires plus where I have a lifetime alignment plan. This dealer mentioned it one time and I’m pretty sure it was $40. I don’t know how they stay in business... but I guess they do well... doing less work but at a much higher profit margin.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I got the car back and popped the hood... I was not amused at whatever tech used his teeth to try and chew the trim fasteners off to get to the compressor... and left one off. God I hate dealership service departments. I’m happy to have gotten the compressor replaced but it’s almost not worth the collateral damage from shoddy workmanship. It always makes me think that if they did as good of a job on the compressor as pulling the trim to get it to... I may as well abandon all hope. I’ll be out of Freon by the end of the week.
Honda Civic 10th gen What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ? E47335DA-5647-4A6D-B736-7C119460666A

Honda Civic 10th gen What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ? AA4C8222-208D-4D18-884E-C7D1A7CAFA8B
Honda Civic 10th gen What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ? 4CA1DC2B-03A2-4D8B-A0E8-4635C699721C

And yes... I left a scathing review with pictures online and will call them back, but the service department was closed. They also didn’t document the mixing motor stuff in the paper work like they were supposed to and left their floorboard paper trash in the car. I didn’t go for their loaner or they to come pick up the car and drop it back off. I just want the simple things: things fixed without collateral damage.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I got the car back and popped the hood... I was not amused at whatever tech used his teeth to try and chew the trim fasteners off to get to the compressor... and left one off. God I hate dealership service departments. I’m happy to have gotten the compressor replaced but it’s almost not worth the collateral damage from shoddy workmanship. It always makes me think that if they did as good of a job on the compressor as pulling the trim to get it to... I may as well abandon all hope. I’ll be out of Freon by the end of the week.

And yes... I left a scathing review with pictures online and will call them back, but the service department was closed. They also didn’t document the mixing motor stuff in the paper work like they were supposed to and left their floorboard paper trash in the car. I didn’t go for their loaner or they to come pick up the car and drop it back off. I just want the simple things: things fixed without collateral damage.
OMG! That is unacceptable and a dealer should provide much better service. But, like you, I had too much collateral damage when my Civic EXT had it's condenser replaced. They had to pull the bumper and repair it. Fortunately I found my replacement Si within a few weeks. I'd say go have them give you new pieces but I know it's like an hour away. Maybe they will just mail you some. It just sucks! I'm really sorry.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Yes, this is why no dealership has seen my car since delivery.

It's very unfortunate I won't be able to repair my A/C when it goes out myself.

I have half a mind to remove the front bumper myself and drive it in that way.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OMG! That is unacceptable and a dealer should provide much better service. But, like you, I had too much collateral damage when my Civic EXT had it's condenser replaced. They had to pull the bumper and repair it. Fortunately I found my replacement Si within a few weeks. I'd say go have them give you new pieces but I know it's like an hour away. Maybe they will just mail you some. It just sucks! I'm really sorry.
Eh. It happens. I’ve had similar things happen over the years with other dealers and different cars across other brands. I’ve found a few good 3rd party shops over the years that treated your car like their own. Most every dealership has left me wanting.

On a positive note.., they did replace the compressor. I just hope their quality of work the with important stuff (compressor/Freon & oil/lines) was better than the little stuff. Anytime I see stuff like this... it leaves doubt in my mind.

finch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si, 2018 Accord sport, 2005 Saab 92x
Country flag
Charles just reading through this thread and wanted to follow up and see if you were still having the clicking noise? as they've claimed it to be the mirror.
Sponsored