What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT transmission?

What if the Si was offered with an Auto/CVT trans?

• Total voters
OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Exactly. This whole thread is sort of based on a kind stick shift elitism or snobbery. Yeah my current car is auto but I have nearly 30 years of manual driving. Give me a car with a stick right now and I guarantee I can out drive a lot of you head to head.

Point being, some here think a DCT will degrade the Si not because a DCT sucks but because the people wanting to buy an auto aren't "real drivers" in their opinion. And therefore, the Si image is tainted. It's a kind of silly argument.

Choice of transmission is just that... a choice. It doesn't mean anything more that. If you think is does, you are biased.
And you’d be alright seeing 4x as many Si’s on the road?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
And you’d be alright seeing 4x as many Si’s on the road?
Why not? It's a great looking car. ;)

Seriously though, the increase in Si's would be more like 50%, not 400%. Think about it. 75% of the Civics you see on the road are base LX models with a CVT. The Si (even with a DCT option) won't appeal to the average owner.

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why not? It's a great looking car. ;)

Seriously though, the increase in Si's would be more like 50%, not 400%. Think about it. 75% of the Civics you see on the road are base LX models with a CVT. The Si (even with a DCT option) won't appeal to the average owner.
I think it would. People like to look sporty. People would go for that Si badge over the sport trims. The civic sport trim lineup would need to be adjusted.
They could have put a DCT in this generation, but somebody high up at Honda said “hell no”. A decision was made to keep the Si manual only, even when they could have made more money offering an Auto in the US. I appreciate that a lot.

or maybe a DCT would have made it too expensive, idk. It’s very obvious that they wanted that price tag below 25k.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it would. People like to look sporty. People would go for that Si badge over the sport trims. The civic sport trim lineup would need to be adjusted.
They could have put a DCT in this generation, but somebody high up at Honda said “hell no”. A decision was made to keep the Si manual only, even when they could have made more money offering an Auto in the US. I appreciate that a lot.

or maybe a DCT would have made it too expensive, idk. It’s very obvious that they wanted that price tag below 25k.
Me thinks the next generation Acura ILX will be the automatic Si option. The current gen one is pretty close except for the fact it still rides on the 9th gen platform.

OP
OP
SDAlexander8

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Me thinks the next generation Acura ILX will be the automatic Si option. The current gen one is pretty close except for the fact it still rides on the 9th gen platform.
Would make the 10th gen Si hold value better if 11th gen broke the mould and had an Auto option. That would be exciting. Especially if I don’t like the styling of the 11th gen.

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Wow, the E60 M5 with the SMG trans has the worst reputation for being unreliable. Idk about the saleen mustang, but it sounds like you made the better decision.
Yes the E60 M5 would have been a costly mistake, because it would have been a purchase and not a Lease. The Saleen was a waste of money. Should have kept my old Trans Am WS.6 and got something sporty and luxurious like Infiniti G35 Sedan back then.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
The more people purchasing the Si, the better for it's long term prospects. As fewer and fewer people drive stick or are willing to learn, the lower the business case for Honda to continue offering the Si trim. Add an automatic option and sure, you'll see many more on the road, but it would allow Honda to keep it around longer. Not to mention that with more sales, the aftermarket would expand as well, which is a win-win for everyone. I don't really care if the guy next to me in his Si has a stick or not; heck the auto will likely be quicker anyways.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Yes the E60 M5 would have been a costly mistake, because it would have been a purchase and not a Lease. The Saleen was a waste of money. Should have kept my old Trans Am WS.6 and got something sporty and luxurious like Infiniti G35 Sedan back then.
Off subject the trans am WS.6 was a hot car a friend had one. IMO GM should have never gotten rid of Pontiac

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Exactly. This whole thread is sort of based on a kind stick shift elitism or snobbery. Yeah my current car is auto but I have nearly 30 years of manual driving. Give me a car with a stick right now and I guarantee I can out drive a lot of you head to head.

Point being, some here think a DCT will degrade the Si not because a DCT sucks but because the people wanting to buy an auto aren't "real drivers" in their opinion. And therefore, the Si image is tainted. It's a kind of silly argument.

Choice of transmission is just that... a choice. It doesn't mean anything more that. If you think is does, you are biased.
elitism or snobbery...it's not this well for me and maybe for others. What it is to me is authentic.

I would rather it stay manual because I would rather see less of them on the road then a whole bunch of them due to the transmission choice. As you said above it is a great looking car, but I really want it to stand out because it is a manual and not auto/cvt/dct or whatever crap box they put in it to appease those that want the car to change gears on it's own.
If this were to be the last gen with a manual then I would be happy that my X gen was last to "keep it real".

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Off subject the trans am WS.6 was a hot car a friend had one. IMO GM should have never gotten rid of Pontiac
Thank you and it was the worst car decision I ever made. I sold the Trans Am to get money for the M5 and got cold feet. Ordered and purchased the Saleen and sold after 18 months. After that I learned and got wiser. So I try to keep cars long as possible.

Pontiac was starting to improve build quality, but was shut down during the great recession:(
Sponsored