Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Let's get this out of the way. I'm older than most people here, so there's that. I've always been considered someone who will give the shirt off their back and likes to help others. I've been called one of a kind. The proverbial "nice guy". The voice of reason.

I don't know if this is just me or people have changed over the years. There's no politeness any more. People are self-centered as hell. So many people seem angry. I don't know if it's a generational thing, the pandemic, or what, but it's clearly there.

Back in the day, when I'd ask a tuned owner to add their car to my thread three results usually happened. Either they said "thanks for the invite" and they added their car. Or they never added their car (or replied back). Or they replied "thanks but no thanks".

Now we have a new breed. You guys probably know I have the highest post count at the forum. Most of that is me trying to help people. And a lot of the help is for people with tuning questions or problems.

It's that group of people I tend to message about adding their tuned car to my reliability thread. You know, because I helped them out and figure, tit for tat, they'd give back. But no. They won't add their car. What the fuck? You've asked for help, you get it and you won't give back?? Sorry but that's total bullshit.

The world is gimme, gimme, gimme. ME ME ME.

I see this on the road all the time. People not yielding at yield signs, Not stopping for red lights. I had a soccer mom give me the finger in her minivan one day. Why? Because she was behind me and I had the audacity to stop at a stop sign. How dare me! She must have been in a rush to get her nails done or some emergency like that.

Anyway, I could go on and on. What a world.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Car

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
It’s a generational thing, lots of young people with too much information at their hands and not using technology for what its intended for = lots of confusion and lost persons

I feel the exact same way, fwiw. Sometimes my niceness gets taken advantage of but its water off my back because 9 times out of 10 it doesn’t happen.

But yea, its very much a self serving “what can you do for me” world moreso than it ever was. Instant gratification leads to expectations of entitlement and the wheel in the sky keeps on turning.

I had a guy give me the double bird, yes he took both hands off the wheel to double bird, simply because i wanted to make a left hand turn into an intersection after clearly seeing me there waiting for a minute for the traffic and stopped cars to build up into the “box” that you aren’t supposed to block. So he’s at the other end of the box and I even let the other car in front him go even though he was going to partially block the box, but not enough for me to be unable to get through. So after all that patience the guy gives to double FU because i rolled ahead into the box to make the turn and prevented him from continuing into…the back of 10-12 stopped cars? I was so confused but found it hilarious for someone to be that upset over something so small.

Gtman - Your tuning thread is one of the best parts of this forum, and I’ve personally seen you go out of your way to help others. Taking time out lf your day with nothing “in it” for you. Without members like you this forum wouldn’t be the same, keep on keeping on good sir:headbang:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Gtman - Your tuning thread is one of the best parts of this forum, and I’ve personally seen you go out of your way to help others. Taking time out lf your day with nothing “in it” for you. Without members like you this forum wouldn’t be the same, keep on keeping on good sir:headbang:
I appreciate you noticing. Thanks.

Car, here's one for you...

The other day, I was driving along minding my own business. There was a guy who pulled out of a Burger King and was in the median lane waiting for cars (including me) to pass so he could turn into the road... or so I thought.

And here's where it got weird. As I got close I could see him looking in my direction, he clearly saw me. And then at the very last second he decided to cut in front of me. He didn't even gun it or anything. Just slowly cut in as I swerved violently to avoid him.

People just don't care.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Y'all are definitely not alone in those feelings, at all.

I will start off with saying that I am also a bit older then most that I find in the Honda community now a day's.

I spent a lot of my life in the garage, most of the day & late into the night working on my Honda's, helping friends with their Hondas & some family members even.
I had absolutely no problem helping & putting in the work & for quite sometime that brought me a lot of joy & still can.

I remember even when I was done with that I would hop onto the forums & chat rooms to share my findings from the day or just to ask how everyone was doing & what their day was like.
Trying to build a sense of community & if you were lucky you'd make a friend or 2 along the way.

I will say, that when the title wave of the narcissistic living in front of a camera generations started, is when thing's started going south....It went south fast.

That is when everything became a one way street of the marching "ME, ME, ME's" & let me tell you, the bullshit excuses when you called them out for their poor behavior,had no bounds & very much a spoon fed culture.

I noticed a wave of non existing parenting leading to non existence values, feeding that title wave of self serving "Me's" further. Future prison birds.. That is why we build more prisions then schools now.

When society has to put up with that sadistic mentality it is draining on all of us & we get grumpy, to say the least.

I have always been a believer in how we are only here on this earth for just a blink in time & you must make that blink count.

With that said, when someone is kind enough to give you part of their blink here on earth to help you, there is a equivalent exchange taking place. If you are any kind of decent human being you are very mindful to this for good reason.

If you don't have the money, then you pay with time & you do it out of a mutual respect for your fellow man/woman.
That is a core value that can go a long way right now for a lot of people & society in general & I will always continue to be mindful of this.
Because it is who I am at heart & I have no interests in changing that, so I will always continue to help.

With that said, I am very much looking forward to adding useable content to the Tunned reliability thread this coming month 😀.

A little kindness can go a long way in a lot of peoples lives right now, I choose to be part of the solution, not the problem.

Cheers!

bushfreakz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 SI, '17 FK8
Country flag
Same here! Back in the day when people were being obnoxious to me on the street, like tailing, flashing lights, flipping etc.. I would just wait til at speed and clean my windshield with a ridiculous amount of fluid causing them to have to have turn theirs on as well 😂. Now a days running stops and lights has become a thing where i am. I just now wish them between 1-4 flat tires at once depending on the severity of their infraction.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm 64. Couldn't agree with y'all more. This world is/has turned to shit. I admit, it does make me mad. Especially this country the last few years led by the democratic communist party. From letting who knows how many terrorists they've let across our borders. Then you have maniacs like the one in Maine. Hard to count how many a$$holes I come across on the road everyday to and from work, 25 miles each way. Plus, I drive a service truck as I work so I see many stupid drivers everyday. Here are some words lost in meaning to the general population today, Respect, Courtesy, Decency, Compassion. God help us all.🙏

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's another fine example. I live in a town of 3,000, we have a Dollar General and I go there to pick up a few things now and then. I turned my cart down the aisle and further down, there's a young female employee with a shopping cart of product and putting it back on the shelves and she glanced at me as i came towards her. Her cart was in the middle of the aisle, do you think she would expend a little effort and move it so I could get by? Ha! That's asking too much. Of course, I had to move it myself. The future looks so bright!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's another fine example. I live in a town of 3,000, we have a Dollar General and I go there to pick up a few things now and then. I turned my cart down the aisle and further down, there's a young female employee with a shopping cart of product and putting it back on the shelves and she glanced at me as i came towards her. Her cart was in the middle of the aisle, do you think she would expend a little effort and move it so I could get by? Ha! That's asking too much. Of course, I had to move it myself. The future looks so bright!
I see it all the time. It's what I said in my first post. It's rare to see politeness or courteous people anymore. It's almost to a point that when you do see it, you're almost shocked. It's just a general lack of respect for others.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So basically 95% of the people I message to add their car to my tuning thread don't have the common decency to reply. I mean come on. I'm a well known community member politely asking if they would help the community by adding their car. Deciding to not reply with even so much as a "no" is frankly, rude as hell.

What do they call that, passive aggressive? By not replying it's their way of saying "I'll do what the fuck I want chum". Well guess what? My message is simply me trying to help the community so their lack of courtesy kind of tells you how they feel about the community aspect of CivicX.

The latest guy was someone who's been chatting up his tuned car and some plans the past couple days. I was impressed with his setup and told him his car was great and he would be a great addition to the thread. And I get the silent "F.Y." treatment. Nice huh?

Back in the day I started the ElantraClub.com forum community. I always emphasized a sense of community. I didn't allow people to flame each other and tried to assure that everyone treated with respect.

I created two major projects there that I made a mission of mine. A section filled with DIY projects and something called "ElantraWiki". And members there eagerly helped out. The help poured in. It wasn't pulling teeth like my tuning experience and reliability thread is here.

After running that community for about 13 years, my wife sadly died and I literally had people from all over the country who were members there asking to call me on the phone to offer condolences. It was just a different and more kind world.

Last edited:

Redwing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si coupe
Country flag
Indeed, I think times have changed, and the digital world can magnify the flaws in human behavior. People may appear more self-centered and less polite, but thankfully it's not everyone (even though it may seem that way). In the fast-paced world, impatience and rudeness can be seen every day if you look for it, and even when you're not.

While some may not reciprocate kindness, there are others who still appreciate it and might give back in their own way. Let's remember that pockets of kindness exist, and, amidst the chaos, small gestures of goodwill continue to shine. We just have to take each day one step at a time.

I understand in this age of instant gratification, it's easy for courtesy to get lost and forgotten. Yet kindness, I believe, is far from dead. The world has always been a mix of good and bad, polite and impolite, generous and self-centered. Unfortunately, as you rightly said, the world does seem full of self-centered pricks (a glass half full I guess).

But I'd say to keep focusing on the small acts of goodwill and hope the world will gradually change for the better. Each day, one step at a time, we can keep the kindness within ourselves and inspire it in others, reminding everyone that in the end, it's these small gestures that make life more beautiful.

This is just my perspective anyway...

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed, I think times have changed, and the digital world can magnify the flaws in human behavior. People may appear more self-centered and less polite, but thankfully it's not everyone (even though it may seem that way). In the fast-paced world, impatience and rudeness can be seen every day if you look for it, and even when you're not.

While some may not reciprocate kindness, there are others who still appreciate it and might give back in their own way. Let's remember that pockets of kindness exist, and, amidst the chaos, small gestures of goodwill continue to shine. We just have to take each day one step at a time.

I understand in this age of instant gratification, it's easy for courtesy to get lost and forgotten. Yet kindness, I believe, is far from dead. The world has always been a mix of good and bad, polite and impolite, generous and self-centered. Unfortunately, as you rightly said, the world does seem full of self-centered pricks (a glass half full I guess).

But I'd say to keep focusing on the small acts of goodwill and hope the world will gradually change for the better. Each day, one step at a time, we can keep the kindness within ourselves and inspire it in others, reminding everyone that in the end, it's these small gestures that make life more beautiful.

This is just my perspective anyway...
Very nice post. I don't want to make my posts seem like I think everyone is rude and selfish. But the percentages have certainly shifted. There are still a handful of people who reply to me that they're honored that I liked their car and wanted them as part of my tuning thread, so there's that. And there are dozens of helpful "good guys" here at CivicX.

Again I'm old, old school ... whatever you want to call that. I remember when Facebook first started how it began to eat into the activity at the forum I ran. It was frustrating for forum owners to deal with that. And to me, Facebook seemed like a place for people to say "hey look at me ... be my "friend".

Now we live in a world where you search for something on Google and right at the top of the results page you'll see news not just from legit sources but outrageous opinions and "news" from every lunatic on Twitter. And those Twitter opinions are given the same lofty weight as something written by say a Pulitzer prize winner. It's just a weird, weird time.

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm surprised there aren't more comments on this thread, probably like the tuning thread, people just don't give a fuck.
So another fine example of our society crumbling away. I had breakfast with my older sister and her husband and she told me about an incident that happened to them the other day at a movie theater. When you purchase the tickets, you are electronically assigned your seats. As they went to sit in them, my sister who is 77, noticed a young man in one of their seats. So she said, excuse me sir I think your in our seat. The guy started yelling and cussing at her. So they went passed him and sat in other seats down the row. My sister was pissed and rightfully so, she went out to the lobby and complained to the management. They made the guy go to his assigned seat. They should have thrown the MF out! I would probably be in jail if I had been there. Did I mention, I hate people?

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'd like to add to this: It doesn't matter which way you lean politically, right, center, or left, there are forces at play trying to cause unrest between the average people in our society. In a more properly functioning society it should be the poor against the rich. These days it is left against the right. Why? If we're too busy infighting between ourselves, we lose focus on how the rich are taking advantage of us.

There are also a lot of characters sewing blatant BS all over the internet to make you mad against the other side. There are foreign adversaries like Russia, NK, China, etc, that figured out that a destabilized US is much easier to standup against than a unified US. There is no way of stopping this from happening it seems. There are also domestic players in all of this and we have no clue who is funding them. It could be the domestic rich. It could also be the same foreign adversaries. This isn't just for the US either, but rather any of what is called the western developed world.

I remember a time when the left and right would try to work together to govern. That has seemingly evaporated since about 2008ish and has gotten progressively worse, year after year. There are domestic government congress people and senators that are known to be paid by Russia, for example. Why is any government official accepting foreign money in the first place, especially from a country the US has been "at war" with since the end of WW2? It only takes a few seconds of searching to see the absolute nonsense being spewed all over the internet that too much of the population is openly believing as being fact.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All politicians are crooks. It's going to get so bad in the future, there will be another civil war.
Sponsored