What happens when it’s time to smog in CA... or anywhere?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious what will happen when the time comes for our cars to get smogged.. thinking:

2024 for 2017
2025 for 2018
2026 for 2019
2027 for 2020

Will that pose a problem for those with jail broken ECU’s and running a tune?

Hoping there will be some places that can “pass” cars at that time.

Otherwise don’t like the thought of returning the DP/FP/intake/ECU etc back to stock every (2) years for a smog test ?

This is my first modded car so don’t know how people get around this... Any insights what to expect?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
Depends on the smog place, but most just plug your car in and run the system for readiness checks. Some will use a mirror to check for cats, but it all depends on the place honestly.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I know CA is more stringent than Clark County, NV. I know they plug into OBD port and put a probe in the exhaust, in CA. In NV, they plug into just the port. At least here, they will pass as long as CEL isn't on. I know because my 2007 Pilot has a Bank 2 DTC, causing the CEL to go off once in a while. But it passes smog when the light is off.

I have Hondata and catted DP, and I pass smog in NV.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Curious what will happen when the time comes for our cars to get smogged.. thinking:

2024 for 2017
2025 for 2018
2026 for 2019
2027 for 2020

Will that pose a problem for those with jail broken ECU’s and running a tune?

Hoping there will be some places that can “pass” cars at that time.

Otherwise don’t like the thought of returning the DP/FP/intake/ECU etc back to stock every (2) years for a smog test ?

This is my first modded car so don’t know how people get around this... Any insights what to expect?
If you have a catted DP/FP that looks stock and it doesn't trigger CEL (not hidden by your tuner) then there's a chance you'll pass. If your DP/FP looks eye catching I probably would still take a chance, maybe look for a place that only cares it passes the sniffer with no CEL.

Intake you will need a CARB EO. You can buy one that has one if yours doesn't, or just keep swapping intakes for smog.

ECU you can just flash back to stock before smog (assuming you're just bolt ons). Easy to do and I don't think it matters you're jail broken. If it does I believe a few members here have an extra ECU for flying under the radar. If that's too much hassle there's the CARB compliant version of Hondata.

Next time you go to a car meet I would ask people where they like taking their car to get snogged ;)

Last edited:

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
I ran an EJ207 (JDM STI engine) in my Subaru for years and never had an issue with smog. The key notes are:

- The days of a sniffer are gone. CA now only uses the OBDII port and a visual inspection. They don't even load test cars (no dyno) so it's going to be incredibly hard to fail unless you fail visual.
- For a normal smog, most techs will not give a care unless your parts are very visibly aftermarket. They will take a look in the engine bay, but most of the time skip on looking under the car, or going into much detail. That said our cars are likely to be disproportionally flagged for STAR smogs (similar to the WRX/STI crowd) due to being a "High Emitter Profile vehicles. These are vehicle types designated by the Bureau of Automotive Repair as having high chances of failing the smog inspection."
- STAR smog WILL look under the car, and will actually take a good look at things. If you get a STAR smog, I would consider swapping anything that doesn't look pretty darn close to stock to be safe. Techs at STAR stations have a bit more training, and know what they are looking at better than a normal smog guy.
- For ECU, you will need to be flashed back to a stock map, AND get readiness. Readiness is different on each car (don't know the Honda one) but if you just drive for a few days you'll be smog readiness. The ECU just wants to see x number of pulls from 10-30, 25-60, x min above x000 rpm etc. Nothing major, and normal driving will trigger it, just don't expect to swap maps and then immediately drive to your smog station down the block.
- As for needing a un jailbroken ECU etc. So long as you are using a stock ECU (jailbroken or not) and a stock base map you'll be fine. Hell my JDM ECU was passing CA smog.

Overall if you want to mess around with the car in CA you're going to have to play the smog game every 2 years. Enjoy your grace period, and then be ready to deal with CA smog going forward. It's not really a huge hassle unless you can't swap parts back to stock.

JNFC3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic si coupe
Country flag
I know CA is more stringent than Clark County, NV. I know they plug into OBD port and put a probe in the exhaust, in CA. In NV, they plug into just the port. At least here, they will pass as long as CEL isn't on. I know because my 2007 Pilot has a Bank 2 DTC, causing the CEL to go off once in a while. But it passes smog when the light is off.

I have Hondata and catted DP, and I pass smog in NV.
I live in las vegas and i have catless dp and fp and i went to go get my smog and it didnt pass.

Honda Civic 10th gen What happens when it’s time to smog in CA... or anywhere? 6022758E-6C40-4638-84F7-F8891345605B

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
I see many headaches for you in the future. Like others that have mentioned, hopefully the tech is lazy and don't poke around that much but I have heard of a new smog procedure where they can see if you have a tune as well on the ecu. I haven't heard much about it as it is so new but the theory is that they send you to a state ref for smog testing if they detect that a tune on your ecu.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Leaving my ECU stock. Worried about passing smog in (5) years or so.

Will have the car tuned on a stand alone ECU. Then swap back if needed to OEM.

Dunno if that will create its’ own set of problems though.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
I'm soooooo happy I took the time to get my smog license lmao. Let me try to debunk some stuff:

OP: your car will fail hard as it sits, hope you kept the OEM stuff. It will fail visual inspection for tamper. ANY emission related component on the vehicle must be CARB compliant and come with a EO number/sticker. Most techs when in doubt, will fail the car to be safe. Techs caught up get a huge fine slapped on them personally. Your downpipe, the aftermarket cat, the intake....it all needs to go back to stock unless it is CARB compliant, which it usually isn't.

I took my smog courses like 2 years ago, at the time my instructor was an advisor to the state inspection board. He hinted to us that in the future they plan on having the smog machine check the ECU program. Whether that is in effect now, I don't think so, but it may come along soon.

You guys really should just be doing some reflashes, leaving it stock and flashing back when it's smog time. It's not worth it anymore, if you wan't to mod the car a lot register it in another state.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I live in las vegas and i have catless dp and fp and i went to go get my smog and it didnt pass.
You failed because the oxygen sensor readiness monitor/test was not completed. Otherwise the VIR report would read "tamper" if you have it.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the insightful response. Fortunately, yes I’ve kept all the OEM parts, so could swap back if needed, which would be:
  • a pain, but doable.
  • Would probably make me good at swapping back and forth between parts. At least until I couldn’t physically do it any longer :(
Does the Exhaust have to be returned to normal if stock DP and FP are back on?

I'm soooooo happy I took the time to get my smog license lmao. Let me try to debunk some stuff:

OP: your car will fail hard as it sits, hope you kept the OEM stuff. It will fail visual inspection for tamper. ANY emission related component on the vehicle must be CARB compliant and come with a EO number/sticker. Most techs when in doubt, will fail the car to be safe. Techs caught up get a huge fine slapped on them personally. Your downpipe, the aftermarket cat, the intake....it all needs to go back to stock unless it is CARB compliant, which it usually isn't.

I took my smog courses like 2 years ago, at the time my instructor was an advisor to the state inspection board. He hinted to us that in the future they plan on having the smog machine check the ECU program. Whether that is in effect now, I don't think so, but it may come along soon.

You guys really should just be doing some reflashes, leaving it stock and flashing back when it's smog time. It's not worth it anymore, if you wan't to mod the car a lot register it in another state.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
OP, anything after the cat should be fine for smog. Not sure if you have intercooler but that needs to be stock or stockish to pass visual.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does the Exhaust have to be returned to normal if stock DP and FP are back on?
Everything PAST the last catalytic converter is fair game to modify. You cannot fail for a modified exhaust system, the only exhaust failure you can have is like a damage fail, so if there is a leak in the exhaust system near the oxygen sensor or a hole in the exhaust at or near the cat or oxygen sensor.

The only thing you run into now is Exhaust Modification tickets, but that's with the cops, not us.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Darn.. the Intercooler also? Egads heh. What about oil catch cans or a HKS BOV? Are those also a no-go?

OP, anything after the cat should be fine for smog. Not sure if you have intercooler but that needs to be stock or stockish to pass visual.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Intercooler does not need to be stock, that is a free mod. Refer to Smog Manual Appendix C. Gasoline powered vehicle DO NOT need a CARB EO number for intercooler changes, diesel vehicle DO need a EO number. Water injection as well, DOES NOT require a CARB EO number, not to be confused with ethanol injection kits. Catch cans are also completely legal, but ONLY if they are a completely sealed system or a system that drains back to the oil pan. They cannot have a breather filter on the top of the tank, no emissions gases should be able to vent to atmosphere. Air filters can be aftermarket, JUST THE FILTER, any "intake kit" needs a EO number. CARB legal intakes do not need to have the sticker present, so if a smog tech tells you that your legal intake fails because he doesn't see a sticker, that's bullshit. It is up to the smog technician to verify EO status, not the customer, but he can fail the intake if he cannot verify it's legal. So he must attempt to do the research.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf
See page 49
Sponsored

Last edited: