What grade of gas do you put in your SI?

What fuel do you use?

• Regular

Votes: 26 7.4%
  • Midgrade

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • Premium

Votes: 315 89.2%

• Total voters

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Premium only in fact i drive a couple miles out of the way to get 93 over 91. Luckily for me i know the guy who took my car to do the first fill up at the dealer so i got premium fuel from the start.
I do the same. I get the best I can get.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ice raptor

ice raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 AGB Civic Si
Country flag
If i knew where 93 was id get it but everywhere here is 91

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
That first free tank of gas was regular for me... Sales lady said "Yes, it takes Regular gas". Premium ever since.
I have learned over the years that the salespersons usually would say anything to make a sales. She may not be lying, maybe she just did not know better.

My understanding all modern engines would self-adjust to process all grades. I would put in whatever Honda recommends for a given model. No one knows more about Honda engines than Honda engineers!

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I'll disagree with the group. Honda may 'recommend' premium, but it'll run just fine on regular. If it said 'premium unleaded required', that's a different matter to me.

I asked the question of what the free tank was, and yeah, it was regular like I expected it to be. That's what I'm using. I think Ford recommended premium in my '12 GT, but I ran it a long time with regular. Did go to premium eventually, but only for the few MPG increase.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Rumors are great fun - facts are better. Read the owner's manual, even the Type R can run on 87! It and anything else "may" run better on higher octane but unless it's "Required" or you're a person who must have every single horsepower/lb-ft, it's not "Required".

OP
OP
ice raptor

ice raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 AGB Civic Si
Country flag
Rumors are great fun - facts are better. Read the owner's manual, even the Type R can run on 87! It and anything else "may" run better on higher octane but unless it's "Required" or you're a person who must have every single horsepower/lb-ft, it's not "Required".
Well i mean...You got the SI for a reason. If you wanted to not have that extra horse wouldnt you just get a regular civic or hatch and call her good there?

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
IMO. Put in whatever gas you want. If you cannot feel the performance difference, stick with regular.

One thing we all agree is the mileage would suffer. Maybe someone can calculate quantitatively the fuel saving vs the extra cost.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I use premium because of the shear fact that the car pulls timing if you use regular. Runs better with premium.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2015 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, 2002 Duramax, Sold 1999 Civic Si
Country flag
I think (or thought) cars with "sport" button required 91 according to manual. To me the bigger issue is using top tier gasoline (which I think is also stated in manual). It contains more detergents which are essential for direct injection.

Old guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
One thing we all agree is the mileage would suffer. Maybe someone can calculate quantitatively the fuel saving vs the extra cost.
In my Si I have run two tanks of 88 OCT E15 and two tanks of 91 OCT E10. Here in central Iowa the premium is $.60 a gallon more than the E15. My MPG has been one mile per gallon more on premium. That is both as a daily driver and on the interstate. So for a full tank of gas, I would be paying $6.00 to $7.00 more per tank, depending on how low I let it get, to gain 10 or 11 miles more on a tank of gas. IMO, not worth it at all.

riv21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid, Ktuner Stage 1
Well hell I am in trouble then lol. As per manual I had my car filled up with regular after I read that adding premium to the car was a waste of money and the mileage difference was neglible.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
In my Si I have run two tanks of 88 OCT E15 and two tanks of 91 OCT E10. Here in central Iowa the premium is $.60 a gallon more than the E15. My MPG has been one mile per gallon more on premium. That is both as a daily driver and on the interstate. So for a full tank of gas, I would be paying $6.00 to $7.00 more per tank, depending on how low I let it get, to gain 10 or 11 miles more on a tank of gas. IMO, not worth it at all.
Good to know. How about the fun factor? Did you feel any performance difference?
Sponsored