What gas do you use?

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
To update my comment from February:

Not sure if this might help but after experimenting with different gasolines, I found differences in idle smoothness.
In my situation, I have found that Sunoco 89 octane gives me a very very nice ride and a very very smooth idle. I have tried Shell 87 and 89, but Sunoco seems superior as far as the ride goes.
Now, I do know that Sunoco gas is NOT on the "TOP TIER LIST". I'm skeptical about the validity of this list at this time and I'm of the opinion that I can slip by with Sunoco gasoline, knowing that this is purely empirical evidence. So far, it's Sunoco 89 octane for me.
After driving on Sunoco 89, I discovered some very minor vibrations in idle. (Maybe I'm expecting too much. Some other poster said that when he first drove his new Touring, he could hardly tell it was running....this is what I want.)

So, to update: I have gone back to Shell 89, since it's on the Top Tier list.
Sponsored

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
I use 93 (94 when I come accross it).
Studies ahve shown that the engines takes timing away to run on 87. Using 93 in the long run saves money as the engine gets runs better and uses less fuel. Is also cleans as it goes.
Try the pedal reset trick to allow the car to relearn the fuel mapping. I drive like a bat out of hell, using S and L often. I am getting 27.5 mpg average.

burns_erin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/Sensing
Country flag
Studies ahve shown that the engines takes timing away to run on 87. Using 93 in the long run saves money as the engine gets runs better and uses less fuel. Is also cleans as it goes.
Try the pedal reset trick to allow the car to relearn the fuel mapping. I drive like a bat out of hell, using S and L often. I am getting 27.5 mpg average.
What the heck is the pedal reset trick?

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ahve doen it on allmay cars. Do it monthly to keep it from resetting.

Put your key in the ignition/push the button twice and turn ignition to the on position (don't start the engine!)
2 Hold down the gas pedal for at least 20 seconds.
3 Let foot off pedal and start car. Be sure that you do no turn ignition off because that will void the reset

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Timing is adjusted only if engine knock is sensed and it is downward (retarded) only from the factory mapped value. You can certainly have the ECU revised (remapped) to take advantage of higher octane if you want but be prepared to spend several hundred dollars minimum.

burns_erin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX w/Sensing
Country flag

Put your key in the ignition/push the button twice and turn ignition to the on position (don't start the engine!)
2 Hold down the gas pedal pressing the button under the pedal for at least 20 seconds.
3 Let foot off pedal and start car. Be sure that you do no turn ignition off because that will void the reset
And if you don't have a key ignition?

FC1rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring & 97 Civic Coupe Turbo

2 Hold down the gas pedal pressing the button under the pedal for at least 20 seconds.

Are you sure this is for fuel remapping? Because in my 530i this procedure was used to remap the transmission shift values.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag

None of the 2016 Civics have a ley ignition except the LX trim. How the heck did you do this with a "2016 Honda Civic exl-t"? Also, what in the world is "the button under the pedal"?

HachiLuver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2010 Infiniti G37X, 2013 Infiniti JX35, 2011 Lexus RX350
Country flag
Hello guys. Would anyone know if Sam's Club gasoline is considered top-tier?

My wife & I both have membership with Sam's Club & Costco. I am for sure Costco's Kirkland Signature fuel is tested & certified to be top-tier, from many of its announcements / signs in the in-store customer service area & right at the pump. I don't know for certain about Sam's Club.

Both Sam's Club & Costco are almost always similar in fuel price in the same local area. Gas cash back rewards may slightly differ.

Any info you may share will be greatly appreciated.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

push the Ignition button twice and turn ignition to the on position (don't start the engine! N o foot on brake!)
3 Let foot off gas pedal and put on brake pedal and start car. Be sure that you do no turn ignition off because that will void the reset

Sorry for the typo.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None of the 2016 Civics have a ley ignition except the LX trim. How the heck did you do this with a "2016 Honda Civic exl-t"? Also, what in the world is "the button under the pedal"?
push the Ignition button twice and turn ignition to the on position (don't start the engine! No foot on brake!)
3 Let foot off gas pedal and put on brake pedal and start car. Be sure that you do no turn ignition off because that will void the reset

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
push the Ignition button twice and turn ignition to the on position (don't start the engine! No foot on brake!)
Ok but how far do i press the gas pedal? Do i press lightly or all the way in? Pedal to the metal like they say ? Lol

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
Putting premium fuel in this vehicle is like throwing money out the window. I posted a while back that I conducted a test using 87 and then 93. Absolutely no difference except my wallet was $6.00 lighter due to the premium on premium. I even used 87 when I had my Mercedes. Never had any problems. Even the guy that designed the engine (one of the designers) was interviewed and said premium fuel will not be beneficial for the car.
Sponsored