What gas do you use?

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I have put whatever gas is cheapest at the time of fill-up in all of my cars over the last 34 years, I have never had an engine problem in any of my cars, and most have had over 100,000 miles on them when I got rid of them. But that's just me...

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm using 89 but then switched to 91 just want to put top tier into my beast touring
Tier refers to the Brand, not the octane. You likely get "more" of the "good stuff" in higher octane, but as long as you meet the minimum you're fine.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TOP TIER (all caps) is a trademark proprietary standard for a gasoline class. You can search which stations meet this standard. Toptiergas.com is a start. It has to do with detergent additives that help minimize build up. Each brand has their own detergent , some arguably better than others. Saw this driving by an ARCO station.

"If you are here for TOP TIER gas welcome.
If not, surprise."

Honda Civic 10th gen What gas do you use? Pic-of-Where-Gasoline-Comes-From

Honda Civic 10th gen What gas do you use? IMG_3993.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen What gas do you use? ks-gasoline-valve-140307

Last edited:

jbatman1080

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (White Orchid Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
okay. so do i use 87 or higher? my friends keep saying dont use 87 because its a turbo car. i fu**ing told em honda has created one that can take 87 fuel. smh.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thank you. i think ill use shell and bp from now on. i just dont think my friends will ever believe that i can use 87 for this car smh.
Lol....that's part of what makes this car amazing...turbo with 87 octane...do what you do and let them be....

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
I'm sure you'll be fine using Sunoco - Have you had any surging issues or had the TSB done? The TSB and the ECU relearning is also very likely to effect "ride" and idle smoothness.
Please, what do you mean by have I had the TSB and ECU done? Thanks

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Some owners of the 1.5L cars (EX-T and above) have experienced rpm surges when driving at low load at speed from, say, 45 to 70. It is, apparently, caused by some bad constants in a learning algorithm in the transmission control unit or ECU. Honda has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) and a firmware update that owners experiencing the problem can get from their dealers. There's a thread.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Most early build (- March 2016) 1.5 turbo engines have surging issues - most noticible during highway driving 55+ mph after 500 - 1500 miles on the car. It is a ECU software issue that could temporarily be solved by disconnecting the battery (causes the ECU to reset and "loose its mind"). Honda has issued a Tech Support Bulletin to correct the problem.
This is link http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-civic-1-5l-turbo-surges-at-highway-speeds-45–70-mph-s-b-16-028.2507/
I was wondering if your "smoothness" might be related to having had the fix done either intentionally or if you've had the car in for service and your dealer did it without you asking.
I find it difficult to understand how a brand of gasoline (as long as it wasn't contaminated) would effect smoothness in the short run.
PS - Dick W beat me to it!