What gas do you use?

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
When i use regular 87 my engine runs higher rpm when the car is idle... When i use 91 or higher the engine runs a little lower when idle which give the impression that the engine runs smoother...
Sponsored

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I have owned a number of 4 cylinder turbo cars. I have experimented with various octane levels of gas. Never have I noticed one shred of MPG difference or performance difference going from regular to premium fuel...except:

One thing I HAVE noticed. Non-ethanol gas will give you a slight MPG gain. Maybe something like 3 or 4%. No discernable performance gain, just a minor economy bump. But regular to premium, both 10% ethanol, forget it. No difference on small turbo econo cars. Maybe on high end stuff that makes 700 hp. Plebian stuff like Civics, Jettas, etc, no. Just burning money.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Non-ethanol gas will give you a slight MPG gain. Maybe something like 3 or 4%.
Which is completely explainable and consistent with the lower energy content per volume in ethanol.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I use 93 (94 when I come accross it).
Studies ahve shown that the engines takes timing away to run on 87. Using 93 in the long run saves money as the engine gets runs better and uses less fuel. Is also cleans as it goes.
Try the pedal reset trick to allow the car to relearn the fuel mapping. I drive like a bat out of hell, using S and L often. I am getting 27.5 mpg average.
LOL

I run 87, and probably drive just as hard as you do, and I can easily top your mpg with ease. Tell me how using 93, (6$ More per fill up) depending on the gas price. People have tried higher octane here on this forum, and it shows little if any mpg improvement, and sure as hell is nowhere close to making that $6 back per fill up as @djasonw said. And if you think high octane makes the car fastest, take some 0-60 vids or something to compare with my proof of what the car is capable of in stock form.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
These cars DO NOT need anything > 87. Don't waste your money.

If you think you're seeing performance changes, it's a placebo effect. Watch the video with the Honda engineer a few pages back.

There are cars that benefit/require 93 (I own one - a BMW 328i), but the Honda Civic isn't one of them. And I'm very thankful for that every time I fill up my Civic's 12 gallon tank.

ageless9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Shell. If it's good enough for the cars in the video below it's good enough for the Civic :) If you like the sights and sounds of speed you should definitely give this Shell ad a quick look. Best enjoyed with the volume cranked up:
Now that's a commercial.

Reactions: tcl

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
I usually fuel up with Costco, but I'm going to try one tank of Shell 87, and then another tank of Chevron 87 to see if there is any different compare to Costco 87.
Sponsored