Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
From what I’ve seen Shell usually does have more knock, but it’s still better than the corner station off brand gas. It seems to be more related to location (I.e what state you’re in) more than the brand though. 91 octane in Hawaii does wonders whereas 91 in California I affectionately refer to as 91 knocktane ?
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Been using Shell 98 since the day she was born. It's more expensive but got to give her the best.
You’re just wasting money unless you get tuned for it. 98 octane could give you some awesome gains if you were tuned though.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
From what I’ve seen Shell usually does have more knock, but it’s still better than the corner station off brand gas. It seems to be more related to location (I.e what state you’re in) more than the brand though. 91 octane in Hawaii does wonders whereas 91 in California I affectionately refer to as 91 knocktane ?
Ive got a Shell down the road from me that I usually fill at, other than that just your run of the mill KT's and Holiday stations.

I plan on getting tuned this summer, between these three which one would you recommend?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You’re just wasting money unless you get tuned for it. 98 octane could give you some awesome gains if you were tuned though.
Australia uses RON, factor that into it. 98 RON is about 93 AKI.

Edit: person you were quoting has his location set to Australia.

Edit 2: I think that one video that HondaProJason did at the UK plant with the manager had the manager saying that the car will adjust tune up to 100 octane (I assume 100 MON or RON, I forget what they use in the UK).

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
If you can find one that has 93 octane ,but if your not tuned theres nothing with shell

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Theres 2 stations in my area that carry 93 octane, but not enough for me to feel comfortable tuning on it in the off-chance I end up somewhere without 93.

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
I recomend you tuned safely at 91 oct if you dont have a gas station close to you unless you have to pass through the one that has 93oct , if you have hondata flash tune flash 91 octane tune it will give some nice gains .and they are safe tunes . I can say it becuase i already used the tune before doing a custom tune and it all good and safe

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Australia uses RON, factor that into it. 98 RON is about 93 AKI.

Edit: person you were quoting has his location set to Australia.

Edit 2: I think that one video that HondaProJason did at the UK plant with the manager had the manager saying that the car will adjust tune up to 100 octane (I assume 100 MON or RON, I forget what they use in the UK).
Oh, nevermind then. Not wasting money after all.

The guy at the plant was wrong, that's really only a strategy on the Si and CVT, known as knock control. We have an entirely different strategy that doesn't have a memory. A Type R will keep knocking on each pull if you run insufficient fuel. The ignition timing isn't ever advanced past what are in the ignition tables, which is tuned (conservatively) for 91 octane.

Below you'll see how the knock retard is continually applied every time, meaning knock is being detected each time. The knock retard resets entirely and ignition goes back to normal until knock is yet again detected. This contrasts to the knock control strategy in the Si/CVT which will actually remember and reduce ignition over time.

Honda Civic 10th gen What gas do you use in your Type R? 1608756819025

https://fk8.wiki/Hondata_Tuning_Guide#Knock

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Oh, nevermind then. Not wasting money after all.

The guy at the plant was wrong, that's really only a strategy on the Si and CVT, known as knock control. We have an entirely different strategy that doesn't have a memory. A Type R will keep knocking on each pull if you run insufficient fuel. The ignition timing isn't ever advanced past what are in the ignition tables, which is tuned (conservatively) for 91 octane.

Below you'll see how the knock retard is continually applied every time, meaning knock is being detected each time. The knock retard resets entirely and ignition goes back to normal until knock is yet again detected. This contrasts to the knock control strategy in the Si/CVT which will actually remember and reduce ignition over time.

1608756819025.png

https://fk8.wiki/Hondata_Tuning_Guide#Knock
Regarding the guy at the plant, the exact question was why the difference in power between USDM and JDM/EUDM models. The response was basically fuel octane ratings as the USDM power rating was based on the 91 octane and JDM/EUDM was based on 94 I think (100 RON). He basically said that if you put the same octane fuel in the JDM as the USDM variants you should see the same power output. I don't think he was wrong with what he said.

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Type r was never ment to be 87oct anyway 91 up should be the gas used and if tuned 93up

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Regarding the guy at the plant, the exact question was why the difference in power between USDM and JDM/EUDM models. The response was basically fuel octane ratings as the USDM power rating was based on the 91 octane and JDM/EUDM was based on 94 I think (100 RON). He basically said that if you put the same octane fuel in the JDM as the USDM variants you should see the same power output. I don't think he was wrong with what he said.
All the evidence points to the contrary. The calibration is identical worldwide and the ECU will target the same ignition regardless of fuel used. The exception to this is if the fuel is causing knock retard, but stock Rs on America’s 91 octane generally don’t knock so that’s not it. Either something changed or the guy from the factory was just wrong (or more likely thinking of what the Si and CVT do)

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I use 91 octane. I try to stick to Top Tier fuels such as
Shell or Costco, but will on occasion use Petro-Canada as well. Car is tuned for 91 stock so I leave it at that.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
All the evidence points to the contrary. The calibration is identical worldwide and the ECU will target the same ignition regardless of fuel used. The exception to this is if the fuel is causing knock retard, but stock Rs on America’s 91 octane generally don’t knock so that’s not it. Either something changed or the guy from the factory was just wrong (or more likely thinking of what the Si and CVT do)
So you're saying that an FK8 on 91 produces the same power as an FK8 on 93 (stock tune)? What the guy was implying was that they don't. I actually don't know the answer to this, which is why I'm asking.
Sponsored