What gas do you use in your Type R?

MNEyeDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
In my 2018 ABM R, I only used 91 non-oxygenated gasoline. Car was bone stock. I put 8,000 general-use miles on it, no track...and no problems.

Now, with my 2019 CW R, I have been doing the same for the first 600 miles. Car is bone stock.

Am I wasting my money on non-oxygenated fuel? I have no plans to track...I believe I will get better mileage with the non-oxygenated than with 10% or 15% ethanol added...agree?

I guess I’m really having trouble finding a definitive source that tells me one way or the other which is better to use in my situation, oxygenated or non-oxygenated. I’ve tried searching for which is best in high-performance engines, but I only find reference to mostly small engine, classic cars and marine use.

Is there a definitive treatise on the topic of oxygenated vs. non-oxygenated fuel in modern, non-modified, high-performance street cars?

(BTW, the car is garaged from November to April (or so) and the fuel is treated with Stabil; I also utilize a “smart” battery tender on battery).

Any opinions and thoughts welcome; those that really know, their responses are even more appreciated!!
Sponsored

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
Just to be safe -- always use 91 or better. If the car is going to sit throughout the winter months, it's definitely better to have higher octane gas. I would still start it up every now and then to keep all the internals fresh and lubricated.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I've only used 91 since the emptying of the first tank (I don't know what they put in it, probably regular)

EFEM1FB6FK8

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8, 2018 FK7 Sport Touring, 73 Mazda RX2
Country flag
I am picky with gas and only use Shell premium fuel. I even add 100 octane once in a while to get up to 93 octane on a stock ECU. Yes i know a waste of money but ohh well.

OP
OP

MNEyeDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
You sound like the sort of person that puts 100% nitrogen in their tires on purpose.

It doesn't fucking matter. It's a car. If you didn't do anything of these things (I don't) it would still drive just fine because it's just a car. It'll start and run like shit on 87 if you were so inclined.

btw what does this have to do with anything? sounds like you just want to humblebrag about all the snake oil you put on your car
I actually use 78% Nitrogen all the time in all the tires!!

As far as "it doesn't matter oxygenated versus non-oxygenated"-if you have better knowledge or information than me, or can point me to a link or study, please share it. I know (I think?) tuners like oxygenated fuel, but if I keep my car stock, is better to avoid the ethanol?

The reason I mention garaging the car over the winter with Stabil in the fuel is because I know oxygenated fuel will break down when sitting for long periods, so if there is a definite advantage (price or performance) to using oxygenated fuel in my non-tuned R, it is just information to you (and others) that I take precautions to avoid fuel storage problems come spring.

I'm not having any problems with what I'm doing now, but getting to the nub of my question-is there an advantage to me, using the car as I am, to continuing with the more expensive 91 octane non-oxygenated, or will I be just as good (or better off) using 91 oxygenated?

OP
OP

MNEyeDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
That wasn't his question. His question was "should I use oxygenated or non-oxygenated fuel" which is w h a t the fuuuuuuck

I'm being rude because OP is being a nerd and needs to be reminded that literally none of these things make any difference to anything
You nailed my question; yeah you were rude, but so be it. Nerdy? If you say so.

I would, in all sincerity, definitely like to know why oxygenated versus non-oxygenated would not make any difference.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Ducky is right on.

Op is a damn good sport, too.

Don't get caught up in the BS Op or overthink this stuff.

Drive the car, enjoy it. Hit redline and grin

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I've put a full tank of cheapo 87 octane E15 gas in mine before.

The engine seized and the turbo shot right thru the hood. it landed in the open moon-roof of a WRX and started the interior on fire.

...wait, no. none of that. Nothing actually happened. :dunno:

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Oxygen is good. We breathe it. 91 octane Shell is good too. I use it in the Type R and the 911. The cars like it. Not a chemist here...mmmkay!?;)

CTRHONDATA

Banned
Banned
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
4 gallons of E85 1.84 gal here , and 91 octane o n hondata e30 tune

at 6500ft alt.

I have saved about $300.00 a year on gas since i figured abut 225gal of ethanol will be filled in my tank a year

I would not recommend using ethanol if your vehicle sits long periods outside in the cold. I always garage my car and never go out below 50f since i run summer tires anyway

Never had one check engine light probably because I run a stock intake with a K&n drop in filter "Hondata already proved intakes are a waste of money anyway" .. People who get check engine lights are usually running a downpipe with no sensors or after market intakes

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
That wasn't his question. His question was "should I use oxygenated or non-oxygenated fuel" which is w h a t the fuuuuuuck

I'm being rude because OP is being a nerd and needs to be reminded that literally none of these things make any difference to anything
Let him be a nerd. It's not hurting anybody. If he wanted to know his bore/stroke measurements or how long does it take for fuel trims to be written to the ECU, or what the compressor map of the turbo is..that should all be tolerable.

soapctr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Shell 91 or Shell 93 when I'm in the states. Probably a myth but I heard that fueling from the same brand is "good". probably densest matter, especially on a newer car like the Type R but I've kinda stuck with it.
Sponsored