Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
Hmm for some reason I thought the whole line up would be turbo engines.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 civic si
What about the sound the si will make...? I'm hoping for something finely tuned with a sweet note ....not too loud but loud to the point it's only an si

dirtybird222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 STI, 1994 Accord Chumpcar
I'd still like the Si to still be NA but pump out like 240hp but who knows what we'll get. Anything should be better than the K24, which is a great engine but the lack of "real" VTEC was a bummer.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
What about the sound the si will make...? I'm hoping for something finely tuned with a sweet note ....not too loud but loud to the point it's only an si
If not, the aftermarket will offer something to your liking I'm sure. With the Type-R being introduced and 5-door coming too, I think the aftermarket for this generation will be much bigger and busier than ever.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
One thing that concerns me with regard to engines is that Honda stated this Civic will be a return to it's "performance roots". In the beginning of Si Civics, they used PGM-FI versions of the regular Civic motor, and by the 2nd version of Si's they shared the Si motor with the EX's (and the RT Wagon IIRC). The next generation of Si again used this formula. Which, if Honda intends to return to the performance recipe of yore, then we may unfortunately see the 1.5T used in the Si again. I sincerely hope not. Of course there was some deviation over the generations, such as the B16 del sol. Hopefully this generation will not share the motor between Si and EX. A 1.5T would have to be strung out pretty hard to make the Si competitive, leaving little to no room for tuning potential.

Personally, I hope since Honda is going to use turbo in pedestrian Civics, they choose to use a 2.0T in the Si. *Hopefully* they can have enough mechanical differences between the Si motor and R motor to justify both being a 2.0T.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
The most recent generations of the Civic/Si have used different engines... in fact, I believe they've used different engines since 2003. I don't think "performance roots" means using the same engines, I think more along the lines of light-weight and better handling.

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
It doesn't matter how it sounds from factory, i will still swap it out. Of course, the better from factory the better the aftermarket should be :)

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
I'm hoping for as many turbo engines as possible throughout the lineup. Just so much easier to tune and squeeze some extra ponies out of. And even if you don't tune, the torque's going to be so much better than an NA engine.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
I'm hoping for as many turbo engines as possible throughout the lineup. Just so much easier to tune and squeeze some extra ponies out of. And even if you don't tune, the torque's going to be so much better than an NA engine.
If you're going to be getting a sportier performance model like Si or Type R those are guaranteed to have turbo engines, just don't know which ones exactly. Would you be throwing a tune on the car before factory warranty up? Doesn't that wipe out your warranty?

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
If you're going to be getting a sportier performance model like Si or Type R those are guaranteed to have turbo engines, just don't know which ones exactly. Would you be throwing a tune on the car before factory warranty up? Doesn't that wipe out your warranty?
Maybe maybe not but I plan to keep the car for 3+ years so I want to make sure it's got some upside tunability and that I won't be regretting the purchase by Honda releasing a new turbo engine a year or two down the line. I'm talking the regular line up, not the Si or Type R which I don't think I'll be able to afford.

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
If not, the aftermarket will offer something to your liking I'm sure. With the Type-R being introduced and 5-door coming too, I think the aftermarket for this generation will be much bigger and busier than ever.
Agreed and an all new turbo line up including the base models will be a boon to the aftermarket tuners in the US. Hopefully those that have been ignoring Civics due to it lacking any personality will come back and start developing for the new gen platform.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
What if Honda splits the performance Civics up like the common Civic line? NA Si and 2.0T CTR?

I wouldn't mind if that meant the Si keeps the K series and gains the 8DCT. If the Si gains an automatic this generation I'd be disappointed if they used CVT.

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
What if Honda splits the performance Civics up like the common Civic line? NA Si and 2.0T CTR?

I wouldn't mind if that meant the Si keeps the K series and gains the 8DCT. If the Si gains an automatic this generation I'd be disappointed if they used CVT.
I'd be disappointed if the Si didn't keep the K series. Don't care much if the Si gets an auto this gen or not since it's manual or bust for me, but if it does get auto it should really have a performance 8AT or DCT. The Type R might be the new performance halo car but the Si shouldn't be nerfed. It's still gonna be the choice for most average joe enthusiasts.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
Maybe maybe not but I plan to keep the car for 3+ years so I want to make sure it's got some upside tunability and that I won't be regretting the purchase by Honda releasing a new turbo engine a year or two down the line. I'm talking the regular line up, not the Si or Type R which I don't think I'll be able to afford.
Nobody knows how tunable the 1.5T in the standard model is yet. Once full specs are released we'll know how hard they're pushing the engine. And even then it'll take a tuner to push the boundaries of the engine and blow one up to see what the limits are hah. But with the Si and Type R both coming that's the models and engines the tuners are gonna focus on developing.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
If you guys are talking about tuning the 1.5T, I don't see that being a reasonable proposition.

1.5 liters is too small for such a big car, best you are gonna get is modest gains.

looking at the under hood pics of the 1.5T without engine cover, it is a mess of plastic crap all over the place. who knows what all that crap is for and what'll happen to it if you relocate/delete items, or add more boost to the various plastic parts.

CVT is gonna kill it for tuners. Few (actually none in my guess) reputable tuner companies will sell a tune for a turbo CVT car, especially while the cars are under warranty and financing, because someone will blow up their CVT and bad mouth the tuner. The WRX CVT is technically not supported by tuners, some people have snuck a tune into them with negligible results....well no one wants to document what the outcome was at least.

CVT most like probably won't be re-programmable, and really changing the boost characteristics should generally be followed by a change in the CVT programming. Rarely does this happen.

Since the 1.5T is supposedly only available in CVT, this particular platform is doomed as far as any real tuning gains are concerned.
Sponsored