What does your tuned 2.0 beat?

06XTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Tuned 2.0 isn't slow, but it won't beat most cars on the street. Even an Odyssey minivan with it's V6 engine would beat a tuned 2.0.
It'd be close. How much does the odyssey weigh? My brother has one...maybe I'll race him and let you kmow. lol
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most road tests of the Civic 1.5T with CVT list 0-60 times between 6.8 and 7.1 seconds. That means an Odyssey could also beat it.
I'll have to get the old lady to line up against Si on of these days. I bet they're (sadly) pretty even. My Odyssey is a little down on power with port injection and has the 6 speed instead of the 10... so it'd be a tad slower. When I've followed her home on a few occasions and her taking off quickly... I've not found it very difficult to keep up at below highway speeds until she makes a few turns.

On the Si's stock tune? My gut is that they'd be pretty even until the Si gets into 3rd and can wind it out... then the Si would pull away, if they were evenly tired (both all seasons). The Si have summers on it with an aggressive launch is going to give it a better hole shot and I be it'll get a little jump on the Odyssey. I don't think they ever offered summer tires on any CVT car... but that probably makes as much if not more of a difference than their power deficit compared to the Si. Car and driver did back-to-back instrumented tests between a coupe and a sedan, both Sis, w/the sedan in all-seasons and it did pretty mediocre. Sad to call it a "drivers race" in a Si... especially with ASs... but... yeah. It just reinforces the fact that our cars really don't shine (and become fun, IMO) until you start making turns. I've never had fun trying to maintain a lot of speed in a corner in the Odyssey. It... well... does not enjoy it.

I think the Odyssey is deceptively quick for all it's extra heft though... since you're essentially asking a that-era Accord powertrain to move around a 1000+ lbs more weight. Not too shabby for an old iron block V6 that still uses a timing belt and is only SOHC. The soccer mom/terrific kid stickers might make it a little quicker though.

It'd be close. How much does the odyssey weigh? My brother has one...maybe I'll race him and let you kmow. lol
It depends... is he going to have the wife... 3 kids and a dog and a hatch area full of groceries in it? Edmunds says my old '14 EXL curb weight is 4526. Looks like gen 5s are around 4350-4600, depending on trim. By the time I throw the whole family in it... I'm rolling around near 5000 lbs. It really is quite heavy.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Weighs around ~4500 lbs, with the 10 speed and 280 horsepower I have a feeling it would hand the Civic it's ass in a straight line every single time.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you from first hand experience it can't keep up with a TSP Stage 1 tuned 1.5 turbo Civic on a highway pull. :cool:

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I can tell you from first hand experience it can't keep up with a TSP Stage 1 tuned 1.5 turbo Civic on a highway pull. :cool:
A stock 1.5T Civic would win in a drag race but it would be close, a tuned 1.5T would be a blow out :thumbsup:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
A odyssey costs twice as much as a civic and has a V6 engine with a ten speed transmission. It should be faster than a civic. I remember back when my parents 1989 Astro van with the 4.3 V6 would blow plenty cars away. But these vans can’t get combined average mpg of 32-34 and handle like the civic. And I watched this video of the odyssey elite 0-60 and to be honest I don’t think it would hang with neither my 2.0NA or my 1.5T

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Astro van with the 4.3 V6
not to say it a bad vehicle
a company I worked for years ago had a cargo version of the Astro van and with a little over 2k in the back it was pretty scary to drive especially getting on a highway from a on-ramp my foot was always buried into the floor board they should have bought a bigger Van
it wasn’t very fast with a lot of weight in it

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
not to say it a bad vehicle
a company I worked for years ago had a cargo version of the Astro van and with a little over 2k in the back it was pretty scary to drive especially getting on a highway from a on-ramp my foot was always buried into the floor board they should have bought a bigger Van
it wasn’t very fast with a lot of weight in it
Lol yeah but it was faster than the Ford Expedition that they traded the van in for. But then again neither were really fast. Both of my civics would leave both of those vehicles behind

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Lol yeah but it was faster than the Ford Expedition that they traded the van in for. But then again neither were really fast. Both of my civics would leave both of those vehicles behind
Must not have been the ecoboost Expedition which is good for 6.2 to 60 and 14.8 in the quarter.
And thats before the tune.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love how this thread has transitioned to: "Can we beat X minivan?" ? I know my Civic is faster than my tired old F-150. Glad it has a tune so it can safety be my 2nd fastest car and narrowly edge out my Odyssey.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love how this thread has transitioned to: "Can we beat X minivan?" ? I know my Civic is faster than my tired old F-150. Glad it has a tune so it can safety be my 2nd fastest car and narrowly edge out my Odyssey.
Yeah because somebody always wants to bring up that the odyssey can beat a civic 2.0. But looking at the video there is no way. It’s like trying to say if you get beat by a minivan then your car must be extremely slow or something. But hey some vans can be fast. But in this case I don’t see a odyssey beating any civic.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Must not have been the ecoboost Expedition which is good for 6.2 to 60 and 14.8 in the quarter.
And thats before the tune.
No this was a time before ecoboost was even invented lol. It was a 4.6 V8 lol

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah because somebody always wants to bring up that the odyssey can beat a civic 2.0. But looking at the video there is no way. It’s like trying to say if you get beat by a minivan then your car must be extremely slow or something. But hey some vans can be fast. But in this case I don’t see a odyssey beating any civic.
There's always a faster car. I remember having a Cayenne turbo toy with my when I was taking a leisurely drive in my Z. When I figured I'd oblige them a bit and show I knew what they were doing... in a moment, all I saw of them was taillights. I thought my car was broke it felt so slow in comparison. Broke my heart at least. I just figured they were sporty SUVs.
I can totally accept even regular old 250-300 hp vans being pretty quick. Those powertrains are donated from all the Accord/Altima/Camry V6 type vehicles and most are rated to tow more than our cars weight on top of moving their own weight around, plus some passengers. I've never felt like my Odyssey was underpowered or slow, and I've move a substantial amount of weight with it and it took it like a champ. Honestly... I'm pretty sure the Odyssey is as fast if not faster than the Xterra it replaced... and the Xterra was tiny compared to the Odyssey.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's always a faster car. I remember having a Cayenne turbo toy with my when I was taking a leisurely drive in my Z. When I figured I'd oblige them a bit and show I knew what they were doing... in a moment, all I saw of them was taillights. I thought my car was broke it felt so slow in comparison. Broke my heart at least. I just figured they were sporty SUVs.
I can totally accept even regular old 250-300 hp vans being pretty quick. Those powertrains are donated from all the Accord/Altima/Camry V6 type vehicles and most are rated to tow more than our cars weight on top of moving their own weight around, plus some passengers. I've never felt like my Odyssey was underpowered or slow, and I've move a substantial amount of weight with it and it took it like a champ. Honestly... I'm pretty sure the Odyssey is as fast if not faster than the Xterra it replaced... and the Xterra was tiny compared to the Odyssey.
Exactly! I never underestimate any vehicle. Even the big one ton diesel trucks can be fast. They usually weigh about 8000 pounds but got plenty power. We had a Ford econoline van at my job that had a V8 and had lots of pull. You can’t even count out a Ford Fiesta anymore, make sure it doesn’t say ST on it lol.
Sponsored