What does your tuned 2.0 beat?

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
The CVT is the only available auto for the civic other than a 6 speed manual. From what I understand Honda and Toyota are the two auto manufacturers that have a better CVT than other manufacturers. Plus the CVT has the best mileage for now so CVT transmission will be the norm. If I didn’t have a injured knee I would be driving a SI coupe
which is disappointing... considering Honda offers a 200hp K24 backed by an 8-speed auto in the Acura ILX. I’d love if that basic drivetrain was offered in the Civic hatchback
Sponsored

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
which is disappointing... considering Honda offers a 200hp K24 backed by an 8-speed auto in the Acura ILX. I’d love if that basic drivetrain was offered in the Civic hatchback
They could of put the 8 speed auto in the SI at least

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Honda is careful not to do too much homogeneous offerings across their brands/trims so sales aren’t canabalized by lower price vehicles. A Civic with 200hp and an 8 speed means lost sales for Acura.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Without a tune though, vtec doesn't kick in until 6100rpm for the 2.0. The tune brings it down to 5600.
The EM1 vtec is on at 5500rpm plus it's a higher revving engine.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve driven a few CVTs and the Honda Civic easily has the best due to being made by Yamaha, who has a lot of experience with them for their bikes and ATVs. The only thing that bothers me about it is that the ECU is all over the place. Performance just isn’t consistent and I never know how it will react.
What makes you think Honda uses Yamaha CVT's in our Civics? :oops:

Last edited:

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
What makes you think Honda uses Yamaha CVT's in our Civics? :oops:
I changed my CVT fluid and saw Yamaha’s name stamped in the metal of the CVT housing, which surprised me because I was certain Honda made them in house. Maybe Yamaha just builds the approved Honda design. It’s not unusual for this to happen in the automotive world. I used to work at an automaker and even our competitors made stuff for us based on our drawings.

It wouldn’t be surprising as Yamaha has the reputation for being one the the best CVT builders. If you’re Honda and you wanted to make reliable CVTs, it makes sense you would go to Yamaha.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I changed my CVT fluid and saw Yamaha’s name stamped in the metal of the CVT housing, which surprised me because I was certain Honda made them in house. Maybe Yamaha just builds the approved Honda design. It’s not unusual for this to happen in the automotive world. I used to work at an automaker and even our competitors made stuff for us based on our drawings.

It wouldn’t be surprising as Yamaha has the reputation for being one the the best CVT builders. If you’re Honda and you wanted to make reliable CVTs, it makes sense you would go to Yamaha.
Yamaha did design and build ( I believe)the cylinder heads for the Ford SHO Taurus the first one

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Honda is careful not to do too much homogeneous offerings across their brands/trims so sales aren’t canabalized by lower price vehicles. A Civic with 200hp and an 8 speed means lost sales for Acura.
I think the transmission would be what I’d want in the Civic, more than the K24. In my opinion a version of that 8-speed mated to the 1.5 would change the driving dynamic of an automatic Civic greatly compared to the CVT. Maybe with a sportier final drive ratio compared to the Acura, to differentiate it even more than the engine.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Tuned 2.0 isn't slow, but it won't beat most cars on the street. Even an Odyssey minivan with it's V6 engine would beat a tuned 2.0.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag

Ford & Chevy co-developed their 10 speed automatic transmission.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15377492/ford-10-speed-automatic-transmission/

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
No it won't.

Odyssey according to Motortrend:
0-60 in 6.9 seconds
1/4 mile in 15.4 seconds. at 91.8 mph
And its 280hp btw not 210

Civic 2.0 NA Manual:
0-60 in 7.8 seconds
1/4 mile in 15.9 seconds at 88mph

You would lose.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
No it won't.

Odyssey according to Motortrend:
0-60 in 6.9 seconds
1/4 mile in 15.4 seconds. at 91.8 mph
And its 280hp btw not 210

Civic 2.0 NA Manual:
0-60 in 7.8 seconds
1/4 mile in 15.9 seconds at 88mph

You would lose.
Most road tests of the Civic 1.5T with CVT list 0-60 times between 6.8 and 7.1 seconds. That means an Odyssey could also beat it.
Sponsored