Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Hello, I'm new here and new to owning a new to me 2019 civic type r. After owning this car for 2 months so far, I'm seriously thinking of changing out the infotainment system. The honda navigation leaves much to be desired after being so use to goggle maps.

I've hondahacked the infotainment system and installed Google maps which kind of works but the lag is so tremendous that the GPS is about a block and a half behind again making use of GPS unbearable when I keep missing turns.

So I'm thinking if it's worth it to upgrade to an aftermarket android headunit. Im not really bothered by the sound quality, I just want more speed and functionality of a real android unit. I can live without certain things.

Here's the question. What does the oem unit actually control? Auto head lights? Climate control? Remote fuctions? Front and side camera is a given. But let's say I've setup the remote to auto lock by distance. Will it retain that memory when the oem system is disconnected with a after market system in its place?

So far from my searches I've found that
Climate control can be retained by canbus.
Steering wheel buttons can be retained by canbus.
Rear camera can be retained with active lines.
Side camera can be retained
Dashboard boost gauge will no longer be there.
Oil life/maintenance will no longer be there.

Anyone have anything to add for what can be retained or what definitely not be retained with an aftermarket android system?
Sponsored

Last edited:

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello, I'm new here and new to owning a new to me 2019 civic type r. After owning this car for 2 months so far, I'm seriously thinking of changing out the infotainment system. The honda navigation leaves much to be desired after being so use to goggle maps.

I've hondahacked the infotainment system and installed Google maps which kind of works but the lag is so tremendous that the GPS is about a block and a half behind again making use of GPS unbearable when I keep missing turns.

So I'm thinking if it's worth it to upgrade to an aftermarket android headunit. Im not really bothered by the sound quality, I just want more speed and functionality of a real android unit. I can live without certain things.

Here's the question. What does the oem unit actually control? Auto head lights? Climate control? Remote fuctions? Front and side camera is a given. But let's say I've setup the remote to auto lock by distance. Will it retain that memory when the oem system is disconnected with a after market system in its place?

So far from my searches I've found that
Climate control can be retained by canbus.
Steering wheel buttons can be retained by canbus.
Rear camera can be retained with active lines.
Dashboard boost gauge will no longer be there.

Anyone have anything to add for what can be retained or what definitely not be retained with an aftermarket android system?
it IS actually a ''real android unit'' (albeit a much older generation one with limited performance :) )...and the best is to control it with your phone, plug it in and install android auto and use google and navigation from there, hondahack is shite, and the head unit control everything from heated seats, climate controls, reverse camera, etc. i doubt you could replace all it's functionality anyways.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why would you not just connect your phone and use google maps on CarPlay or android auto? Works great for me, and I never have to use the shitty UI on the HU.
Yeah i do the same...with my galaxy s9 plugged in everything works well.

OP
OP

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I know the oem unit is an android. It's just way too slow and unusable.

I've tried android auto with my s10 before I hondahacked, I find it very buggy especially when it switches to side camera then back. (I've had instances where music stops, I've had instances where it just crashed and boot me back to home screen) I also don't like that I have to plug it in.

Also my type r doesn't have heated seats

I dont need to replace all the fuctions of the oe unit. I'm just trying to figure out what I'll lose. I can live without maintenance (have to reset it manually anyways) , boost guage.

Last edited:

PlayboyX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BB Civic Type R , 2012 Civic Si
Country flag
I know the oem unit is an android. It's just way too slow and unusable.

I've tried android auto with my s10 before I hondahacked, I find it very buggy especially when it switches to side camera then back. (I've had instances where music stops, I've had instances where it just crashed and boot me back to home screen) I also don't like that I have to plug it in.

Also my type r doesn't have heated seats

I dont need to replace all the fuctions of the oe unit. I'm just trying to figure out what I'll lose. I can live without maintenance, boost guage.
Maybe try rebooting the headunit, worked for me as my Carplay was buggy as well as turning right camera would crash frequently.

B33zthr3

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW Type R
Country flag
I, too, would like the answer to this. My head unit is so bad. It randomly stops completely about every day or two. I'm miserable with it and I don't see the dealership helping me as I have aftermarket amps and speakers installed. (The head unit was just as bad before the install, btw - made zero difference) I'm desperate to get a new head unit to the point that I don't care about losing some functionality either.

B33zthr3

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW Type R
Country flag
Maybe try rebooting the headunit, worked for me as my Carplay was buggy as well as turning right camera would crash frequently.
Rebooting has done zero good for me, unfortunately.

OP
OP

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I did a factory reset. It doesn't make a difference for me either.

I think the only way to figure out what will and will not still work is just to simply remove the oem unit and drive it for a bit.

I wonder if the information/settings are stored in the modules for each function or if it is stored in the head unit. Best case scenario would be that it's stored in each individual module which would me I just wouldn't be able to change the settings but would still be functional. Worst case would be a butt load of engine lights/warnings.

I have a joying double din android on my rx7 and I absolutely love it. Such a shame honda made this "infotainment system" so unusable.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I did a factory reset. It doesn't make a difference for me either.

I think the only way to figure out what will and will not still work is just to simply remove the oem unit and drive it for a bit.

I wonder if the information/settings are stored in the modules for each function or if it is stored in the head unit. Best case scenario would be that it's stored in each individual module which would me I just wouldn't be able to change the settings but would still be functional. Worst case would be a butt load of engine lights/warnings.

I have a joying double din android on my rx7 and I absolutely love it. Such a shame honda made this "infotainment system" so unusable.
Hey don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but I'm pretty sure that the TRMS (lol-replacement for TPMS) is only accessible from the head unit. When you have a tire pressure issue I *think* the only way to reset/calibrate the TRMS (tire radius measurement system) is thru the headunit, otherwise the nag screen on the instrument cluster won't go away.
NOTE: Not sure if this is generated by radio or just displayed by radio.

I do agree that the Radio in our cars is Shitty and Carplay is massively buggy. Carplay is the only thing ever crashes on my radio.

OP
OP

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
This is the exact type of information I'm looking for, I would never know the TRMS was connected until in anyway unit it was too late.

Android auto is giving me issues. I've actually had the unit self reboot on my once while it was doing nothing but Bluetooth music streaming.

This unit is just an embarrassment to have in a vehicle in this price range.

I think I will disconnect the unit after the last track day of the yr to see what happens.

B33zthr3

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW Type R
Country flag
Android auto is giving me issues. I've actually had the unit self reboot on my once while it was doing nothing but Bluetooth music streaming.
it happens to me nearly every day. makes me want to sell the car.

OP
OP

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I have tried disconnecting the oem unit completely and drove it around for a little bit. It turns out the settings are stored in the module not the head unit. No errors or engine lights.

Rev match kept its setting (on)
Climate controls work thought the limited buttons and knobs. Ac runs if you crank Temps down and put it on auto. Heat works if you crank temp up. Fan speed control works.

Interior lights / shift lights /alarm system works just as before.

Only thing that doesn't work is on the dash when you select the navigation icon or music icon on the steering wheel. (Gives you thinking icon)

I'm not sure my Canadian car is even equipped with tpms because I don't have a tpms calibration option.

Next is to see if I can simply replace the unit with an aftermarket one with canbus options. Hopefully it will arrive in a few weeks and we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
So I replaced the stock unit with a joying unit for the 10th gen civic (I chose the smaller 8" with volume knob over the larger 9" or 10.5" with no knob). Pretty good so far. They provide a canbus harness and amp harness. Mostly plug and play. Only issues I had was the reverse camera where it didn't sense a reverse signal. Had to tap the reverse signal above the driver side fuse box and the reverse camera worked. The amp needed acc signal tapped. And I couldn't get am radio, I didn't bother fiddling with the antenna amp so i just bought a cheap hidden antenna off Amazon and both am/fm works normally. It comes with 2 usb harness adapters to connect to both oem usb.

The canbus harness allowed control though the steering wheel, side and rear camera works as you use the turn signal/button or put in reverse. Climate control display on screen.

The system is fluid and smooth. Can run multiple apps with no issues. It also allows control over oem tpms reset, alarm options, side camera options, maintenence reset, etc. Only option it doesn't have is rev match on/off(I have it set on and don't plan on turning it off)

While ordering from joying, I also bought the Bluetooth odb2 adapter to run with torque app for on screen guages and data logging. I also bought the tpms option because canadian fk8 doesn't come with tpms. (It comes with valve cap sensors and not valve stem replacements, they also don't come with batteries) It can display individual tire pressure and temperature.

No complaints so far.

I still might end up switching out the door speakers and running new speaker wires bypassing the amp all together.
Sponsored

Last edited: