What does "Sport Mode" do, exactly?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I have a 2020 Civic Sport. It has a sport mode place in the gear selection, below drive, and I'm wondering what exactly it does. I looked in my manual but the manual doesn't seem to be specific to my car, and I have no idea if I have all of the options that it mentions.

In my old car I had a manual mode, and when you pulled the shifter to M it acted basically like a push-button manual transmission, except that it would downshift if you slowed down too far for the gear you were in...but it would not upshift until you pressed the upshift button. Does Sport mode on my civic work this way? It's a CVT, so there aren't any gears as I understand it...so I'm not sure what it's doing when it's "shifting."

If I put the car in sport mode and ignore the paddles, will it shift up and down on its own? This car is so fun to drive that I want to play around in sport mode but I can't figure out how it works and what it does and I don't want to damage the car.

I've been all over Google and YouTube trying to find a clear answer, but so far, nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback ST CVT
Country flag
Check out this thread for a bit more info on what S mode does. I wouldn't really call it a sport mode, I think it really just gives you more control when in hilly terrain? It does allow you to use the paddle shifters without the computer taking over and switching gears for you.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
On the CVT models without paddle shifters, S mode is nothing more than a transmission mode that puts the engine at higher rpm. It may "seem" that throttle response is better but it's really just the higher rpm's putting you more into the meat of the powerband. Can be use for engine braking, too. The cars without paddles also have an L mode which can be used for even better engine braking and climbing steep hills.

On cars with paddle shifters, I think S mode allows you to "manually shift fake gears". :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: