What does everyone think of the upcoming Mazda3 2.5Turbo?

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
I think the specs are very interesting. I wasn't a fan when they redesigned the hatch. Even then it's still appealing to me, depending on the price.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the look of the Mazda3 hatch... but after sitting in one and feeling how cramped they seem, and how far forward the B pillar is (you have to climb around it to get in) I love the civic layout that much more. Mazda has said the new 2.5T is definitely aimed more at a Grand Touring vibe rather than a sporty vibe (since it got no new or upgraded handling bits like the Si does compared to the regular civic).

It does make me wish Honda would do something similar.... since they don't want to offer an automatic on the Si... doing a Grand Touring/Elite above the Touring model that offers the upgraded Si engine, and maybe some of the upgraded suspension (like selectable modes), in such a way that it wouldn't step on the Si's heritage as many have said offering an auto option would do, even tho the Si's direct competition like the GTI or Veloster Turbo offer autos as an option.

It's also important to note that Mazda is in the process of trying to move up market to luxury status. This 2.5T seems like a big step in that direction. But at the same time, Mazda is bringing back the base 2.0L to lower prices on the 3... so that's a bit confusing. But I also feel Mazda's choice to nerf the 3's rear suspension setup was also a step in the opposite direction. Especially considering that recent patent filings show the next 6 sedan being a RWD with a straight six offered that could easily go toe to toe with the new Acura TLX.

NX211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't get why they don't just make a Type R with 19" wheels, black seats, base stereo and subtle wing. That'd knock 3k off the price and you'd have your in between car, and you'd attract buyers who want something less boy racer. I'd guess they can't afford the additional production capacity in the UK.
Someone might have posted later. They do however it's only only available in Europe I think. European Type R sport. Looks really cool... But as much as i was initially partial to the wing I have come to like it! But i would definitely take the all black interior and 19" wheels. ?

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
Mazda Canada has announced pricing and they are charging $2,400cdn to add the turbo to existing GT/AWD trims. The lowest priced GT/AWD Turbo Sedan will list for $32,900cdn. For Comparison the SI starts at $30,290cdn.

That would suggest starting at well under $30K US for the Mazda3 Turbo.

Last edited:

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Adding my 2 cent's. To me, there is a lot of hype right now around the 3. But if this car comes in above 30-32K base, most people will look else where, especially SI owners. I personally wanted a coupe. I would've loved to have had a new Accord V6 coupe, even the current Accord with the CTR engine NOT detuned would work great. Once the CTR moves on to a more powerful engine, I think the current engine will filter down. I have a feeling Honda is just waiting to see how many more HP's will be needed to make most happy. I believe a mid size coupe, with the CTR engine in it would do wonders for Honda sales, and especially take sale away from a lot of competitors. Just my 2 cent.
I'd like a Civic coupe with the CTR engine & a real automatic trans & power seats. I want performance & comfort. Other cars do it, why not Honda? I've had 4 Camaros & a Corvette and don't feel like sitting on the floor anymore.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
This guy says it will be priced at abou half a million. Pesos.
That's like 22-23 k$. Why so cheap?
But what about the fuel economy? If they sell a lot they will screw up their fleet fuel economy. So they have to sell just a few. But everything counts only in large amounts. So.....

As far as I'm concerned, the touring concept is what I like the most, not the sports concept, so this sounds interesting. But should't a 2.5T be able to make 300 hp easy? Why so little?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-mazda-3-turbo-mexico-photos-details/
What I don't like is when a manufacturer states the engine's horsepower & then says that's with 93 octane, as in the link you posted. And if using 91 octane the HP is less. Ford has done this with a couple vehicles. Don't advertise the higher figure then in fine print say you may not get it. Some areas of the country only have 91 octane premium. By me all the premium is 93.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll be interested to see what is done with the car with some tuning and aftermarket suspension.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I believe a mid size coupe, with the CTR engine in it would do wonders for Honda sales, and especially take sale away from a lot of competitors. Just my 2 cent.
I would love to see such a car. But sadly, I can't see it happening. While that coupe would sell like hotcakes to enthusiasts like us, we make up but a tiny fraction of car owners. The average US driver has zero interest in a coupe. So overall, it's not going to move the sales needle. I mean, we're lucky the Civic coupe is still in production, and that may not be the case for much longer. I hope I'm wrong...but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Ok, a lot of you guys haven't been here nearly as long as I have. So let me clue you in on coo1rim. He has two main themes.

1. The 1.5T sucks compared to the perfection of his 2.0NA.

2. He's one of the world's best drivers and he's never had a 1.5T keep up with him on the streets of Toronto.

Just a heads up.
lol, yes, I've been around long enough to recognize those two themes. The comment in question just seemed so totally out of step with reality that I felt compelled to respond. Admittedly, perhaps not a great use of my time. A while back I asked him to rent a 1.5T so he could get actual hands-on experience, and report back to us with his findings & impressions. I still hope that happens. Maybe we can learn a few things about optimal driving tactics for our cars.:drive:

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I would love to see such a car. But sadly, I can't see it happening. While that coupe would sell like hotcakes to enthusiasts like us, we make up but a tiny fraction of car owners. The average US driver has zero interest in a coupe. So overall, it's not going to move the sales needle. I mean, we're lucky the Civic coupe is still in production, and that may not be the case for much longer. I hope I'm wrong...but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
I see quite a few Camaros, Mustangs & Challengers so there is a market for 2 door cars.

I'm presuming people buy the CTR for it's performance, not it's looks. Just think how many good looking performance Civics they would sell.

NoRebound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Drove a Mazda 3 hatch before I picked up my 2019 Si. Very nice, comfortable interior. But the harder I drove it the worse it drove. It really didn't want any part of being wrung out. I only needed to drive half the same course before I decided the Si was a far better car.
The bigger engine will make the more upmarket step for Mazda but they have consigned people who love to drive like us to a Miata.

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ā€˜17 Hatch EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed, I think that honda now needs to up the game with Mazda doing 250HP in a hatchback.
I hope yā€™all understand ya canā€™t just look at HP #ā€™s alone. Iā€™ve had MANY cars try to line up next to my Civic (while stock at ~175 hp). Also have to add, itā€™s a f*cking CVT. A couple examples: A v6 Chrysler 200 stock, ~290 hp, beat them from 0-80 mph by a long shot. A focus ST stock, ~250 hp. I beat him by a full car length 0-80mph. Obviously the driver probably has a lot to do with it but still :headbang: these Civics are wonderful for what they are. Not saying I wouldnā€™t love to drive one of these mazdas, but Iā€™d also love to see em in my mirror :thumbsup:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Mexico probably has different taxes and other costs that make it cheaper. Do not expect that simple pesos to dollars conversion to be the USD price. The top trim Mazda3 is already $28k here. The turbo 2.5L would easily put this in the $30k range.
Well, I don't know what to expect, becuase, it's the other way around in such countries like Brasil for example. Cars cost more if you convert their Reais prices to US dollars.
Sponsored