What does everyone think of the upcoming Mazda3 2.5Turbo?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I have to laugh a little at that statement. Do you know how many times I have read that the civic hatchback or sedan was unattractive or odd looking. I personally like the looks of the civic hatch and sedan. My point is, its good that a car manufacturer takes some chances. I also like the look of the 3 hatchback too. I think the 3 hatchback will be in the $32 range, but it will be a touring car, not a sports car. All just friendly speculation right now as no one has driven it.
i meant who wants an AWD hot hatch with the suspension and brakes (and seats) of a base Mazda 3? They could do a little more and have a decent seller, I just don't think there's a market for this car. Mazda always drops the ball, that's why they're always small potatoes.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
i meant who wants an AWD hot hatch with the suspension and brakes (and seats) of a base Mazda 3? They could do a little more and have a decent seller, I just don't think there's a market for this car. Mazda always drops the ball, that's why they're always small potatoes.
I think this car will have an appeal but not to most Si guys. Mazda has definitely been marketing the newest Mazda 3 as something a bit more upscale. This hatch may be geared toward the entry level luxury crowd with it's standard AWD and high torque engine. Maybe some buyers may look at this as a sporty small SUV alternative?

But I'm pretty sure you're looking at a couple grand north of 30K and for 5k+ more than an Si I don't think many CivicX'ers will be jumping ship. Plus the automatic only setup is a buzzkill for many.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just adding power and AWD doth not a sporty car make. If you're in the market for a small highway cruiser for all seasons this sounds like it will be a great option (if you have the $$$). However, I think it will price itself outside the budget of the typical Civic buyer and does not appear to be aimed at an enthusiast crowd.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think this car will have an appeal but not to most Si guys. Mazda has definitely been marketing the newest Mazda 3 as something a bit more upscale. This hatch may be geared toward the entry level luxury crowd with it's standard AWD and high torque engine. Maybe some buyers may look at this as a sporty small SUV alternative?

But I'm pretty sure you're looking at a couple grand north of 30K and for 5k+ more than an Si I don't think many CivicX'ers will be jumping ship. Plus the automatic only setup is a buzzkill for many.
Yeah maybe they're targeting BMW and Audi but people think of Mazda more like VW, nobody buys a Mazda to impress their coworkers, no matter how nice the interior. I think it's another tactical mistake by Mazda.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
This guy says it will be priced at abou half a million. Pesos.
That's like 22-23 k$. Why so cheap?
But what about the fuel economy? If they sell a lot they will screw up their fleet fuel economy. So they have to sell just a few. But everything counts only in large amounts. So.....

As far as I'm concerned, the touring concept is what I like the most, not the sports concept, so this sounds interesting. But should't a 2.5T be able to make 300 hp easy? Why so little?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-mazda-3-turbo-mexico-photos-details/

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
This guy says it will be priced at abou half a million. Pesos.
That's like 22-23 k$. Why so cheap?
But what about the fuel economy? If they sell a lot they will screw up their fleet fuel economy. So they have to sell just a few. But everything counts only in large amounts. So.....

As far as I'm concerned, the touring concept is what I like the most, not the sports concept, so this sounds interesting. But should't a 2.5T be able to make 300 hp easy? Why so little?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-mazda-3-turbo-mexico-photos-details/
Mexico probably has different taxes and other costs that make it cheaper. Do not expect that simple pesos to dollars conversion to be the USD price. The top trim Mazda3 is already $28k here. The turbo 2.5L would easily put this in the $30k range.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
This will be a fun little highway cruiser. Outside of straight line performance though, the Si probably eats it alive in every other performance metric.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
I have to laugh a little at that statement. Do you know how many times I have read that the civic hatchback or sedan was unattractive or odd looking. I personally like the looks of the civic hatch and sedan. My point is, its good that a car manufacturer takes some chances. I also like the look of the 3 hatchback too. I think the 3 hatchback will be in the $32 range, but it will be a touring car, not a sports car. All just friendly speculation right now as no one has driven it.
AWD Mazda 3 Hatchback starts at 25k and WRX starts at 27k, it's feasible it could start under 30k. I bet it's just a regular AWD Mazda 3 Hatchback but with a turbo, just like how they offer a turbo version of the Mazda 6.

OP
OP
pdrumns

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe and 2019 Nissan Kicks
Country flag
Just got the latest car and driver, VW GTI will be 242 hp from its 2.0. Estimated $30K. With Mazda, Toyota, VW and even Hyundai having something running in the middle of the SI and the CTR, they do need to consider something from a strategic standpoint.

Si_NSX904

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda needs to push the whole product stack up in HP to compete.

CTR up to 400+, move the Si to 280-300 HP, base Civics around 220-250. Save sub-200 levels for the Fit.
Something like this has to be coming down the pipe at Honda.

Si_NSX904

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Adding my 2 cent's. To me, there is a lot of hype right now around the 3. But if this car comes in above 30-32K base, most people will look else where, especially SI owners. I personally wanted a coupe. I would've loved to have had a new Accord V6 coupe, even the current Accord with the CTR engine NOT detuned would work great. Once the CTR moves on to a more powerful engine, I think the current engine will filter down. I have a feeling Honda is just waiting to see how many more HP's will be needed to make most happy. I believe a mid size coupe, with the CTR engine in it would do wonders for Honda sales, and especially take sale away from a lot of competitors. Just my 2 cent.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
good to see Mazda sticking with a more traditional automatic. Honda needs to ditch the CVT on the Sport and Sport Touring trim levels and put in the 8-speed auto from the Acura ILX
IMO Honda rather needs to use a more torque-capable CVT. Maybe one with a launch gear. Unless it's a DCT, an auto other than a CVT is not going to help MPGs or putting power down.

JohnnyEBGood

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think they ought to put in the MX-5 and be done with it. Very torquey little engine.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just got the latest car and driver, VW GTI will be 242 hp from its 2.0. Estimated $30K. With Mazda, Toyota, VW and even Hyundai having something running in the middle of the SI and the CTR, they do need to consider something from a strategic standpoint.
I agree, the Si is a real bargain at its price especially now with LEDs, they should probably move it up a bit in price next time, and differentiate the power from the regular civic. I think most who paid $24k for an Si would happily pay $27k for a stronger motor. It doesn't need to be so cheap. There's no competition at $24k, but there's a ton at $30k.

Or else give us a cheaper Sport version of the Type R, but offer sedan and coupe bodystyles.
Sponsored