What does everyone think of the upcoming Mazda3 2.5Turbo?

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe and 2019 Nissan Kicks
Country flag
What does everyone think of the upcoming Mazda3 2.5Turbo in comparison to the SI or hatchback? 250 hp 320 Torque and AWD, but only with a 6 speed automatic. 250 is quite a jump for such a small car. The car is not supposed to be an SI challenger, but more of a touring car or challenger to higher end cars from initial reports.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I originally looked at a Mazda 3 AWD Hatch before I bought my 2020 Si. I went with the Si because it has more power and more fun to drive.

I wish I would of known about the new Mazda 3 with the 2.5T

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Honda needs to push the whole product stack up in HP to compete.

CTR up to 400+, move the Si to 280-300 HP, base Civics around 220-250. Save sub-200 levels for the Fit.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The Civic is base model, it's made for economy and reliability,

More HP means less of both, and a raise in price,

95 percent of people buying Civics don't care about more HP, but they will care if the price goes up,
But the Mazda3 isn't a base model? Even if Honda doesn't touch the base Civic, it's still downright embarrassing to be selling the Si with 200 HP when Mazda has a hotter model as a hatch (many people want an Si hatch) with a better interior.

OP
OP
pdrumns

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

jerryvvv said:

The Civic is base model, it's made for economy and reliability,

More HP means less of both, and a raise in price,

95 percent of people buying Civics don't care about more HP, but they will care if the price goes up,

Disagree, the Mazda3 and civic are in line with each other. The Civic has a base model, but in itself is not a base model, neither is the Mazda3. The Civic Touring is right up there with the Mazda3 with the premium package. They are comparable vehicles at all levels. If they can offer a top line Mazda3 with more power and keep the lower level 3's at the lower prices, they can do the same with the Civic and or SI. How about an SI Touring with addtl power.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
good to see Mazda sticking with a more traditional automatic. Honda needs to ditch the CVT on the Sport and Sport Touring trim levels and put in the 8-speed auto from the Acura ILX

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I love the new Mazda3 styling and Mazda as a brand. The big 3 issues I had with the new generation was the cramped rear, torsion beam rear suspension, and anemic drive train. This 2.5T has the power that can make me almost forgive the other shortcomings, but maybe not enough to pull me from my Civic. I’d really like to test drive it when it’s released.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, I think that honda now needs to up the game with Mazda doing 250HP in a hatchback.
The hp is great but it's that 320tq that has me intrigued. With AWD, that's a hell of a package. Of course, the cost is going to be way higher than an Si.

SugarRuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Depends on its final price. If the OTD of MAZDA3 2.5T can be around $30k, it would be a great car. (Even though I don't think it base price can be lower than $30k)...

ripcord291

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Platinum White Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This new turbo Mazda 3 is meh to me cause no 6speed transmission. I would consider trading my Si in for it if it did have a 6speed option. Corksport was a awesome company and they probably make all the aftermarket parts to make it handle like a speed 3 but I still want a 6speed. I agree with most people saying the Si NEEDS MORE POWER! At the minimum the 10gen should've rolled off the car lot with the same power of what you get with the TSP tune. I get the same if not better MPG with that tune and has a nice bump in power.

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
It'll certainly be interesting. It looks to be geared more towards refinement than fun. But it seems very squarely aimed at the WRX.

OP
OP
pdrumns

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow Coolrim, Yes you can speak for yourself only as a normal aspirated engine owner, unless others want to chime in, but this has been a discussion about honda needing to keep up with other automakers and there is nothing wrong with hoping that the company we invest our money in by buying their products does that. If someone wants more power in a car, that is perfectly acceptable and there is no need to backhandedly insult what others may want in their vehicles. I like honda, but it has to work for my $ just like everyone else that would like me to purchase their product. So if I expect more, then so be it.
Sponsored