What Do You Use To Wash Your Car??

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Follow this journey with me and click that SUBSCRIBE button!

I've never done more than a exterior car care than dish soap in a bucket with a rag and the garden hose. However, with my Si I'm a little more concerned about protecting the paint finish. That being said, how much time, money and energy do you put into detailing your car? Is it worth it perhaps to take it instead to detail shop and have a shop detail it instead?

What is the cost/time difference?

I ask not to put down the work you put into the car, but to weigh the pros/cons.

OP
OP
ttorres1183

ttorres1183

TTorres1183
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I've never done more than a exterior car care than dish soap in a bucket with a rag and the garden hose. However, with my Si I'm a little more concerned about protecting the paint finish. That being said, how much time, money and energy do you put into detailing your car? Is it worth it perhaps to take it instead to detail shop and have a shop detail it instead?

I ask not to put down the work you put into the car, but to weigh the pros/cons.
It all depends on how much work you are willing to put into the paint? Or how much you would pay someone to perfect and protect you paint?

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It all depends on how much work you are willing to put into the paint? Or how much you would pay someone to perfect and protect you paint?
I guess really what I'm looking for a DIY option that would be once a month, take a couple hours and be pretty cost effective. I have a driveway and an electric pressure washer already, so it looks like I would just need to buy some other supplies. I'm definitely interested in the foam washer attachment, that looks pretty handy.

Any recommendations for a starter kit?

rhessel

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
I'm gonna jump in, excuse my intromission. @spacedude86 detailing a car yourself is more of a hobby, that you got to really enjoy, than saving some money. If you're not a fan of spending (a lot of) time over your car, you probably want to take it to a car shop. But if you're willing to let yourself into this world try this guide here: https://www.ammonyc.com/beginner/ There are priceless tricks and tips in these videos.

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm gonna jump in, excuse my intromission. @spacedude86 detailing a car yourself is more of a hobby, that you got to really enjoy, than saving some money. If you're not a fan of spending (a lot of) time over your car, you probably want to take it to a car shop. But if you're willing to let yourself into this world try this guide here: https://www.ammonyc.com/beginner/ There are priceless tricks and tips in these videos.
I watched the whole video, and have to say that helped me out quite a bit. Our 2011 Acura definitely needs some touch-up, and I really want to maintain the quality of my Si. I may pick up some supplies and see if I get into the whole hobby aspect of detailing. I do enjoy cleaning and organizing things, I find it cathartic, therapeutic even. Could be good for me. :cool:

OP
OP
ttorres1183

ttorres1183

TTorres1183
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I watched the whole video, and have to say that helped me out quite a bit. Our 2011 Acura definitely needs some touch-up, and I really want to maintain the quality of my Si. I may pick up some supplies and see if I get into the whole hobby aspect of detailing. I do enjoy cleaning and organizing things, I find it cathartic, therapeutic even. Could be good for me. :cool:
Give it a try Amman! I really enjoy!

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX

Detailing can be a pricey hobby. Nothing too crazy though if you have a good list of items you need to buy to get started. A good detail shop will charge you anywhere from $300 and up for a polish. $300 can get you almost all you need to polish and protect your car safely yourself. Detailers are great for people that don't have the time or want to learn the skills to polish paint.

I guess really what I'm looking for a DIY option that would be once a month, take a couple hours and be pretty cost effective. I have a driveway and an electric pressure washer already, so it looks like I would just need to buy some other supplies. I'm definitely interested in the foam washer attachment, that looks pretty handy.

Any recommendations for a starter kit?
IMO, the foam cannon is a waste of time and money. And I don't mean that in a mean way. Only that that step can be omitted without detriment to taking care of your car.

Off the top of my head you'll want a random orbital polisher ($150), some pads to go with it ($50), a clay bar ($15), fine polish ($30), paint sealer ($30), car wash soap ($10) and some microfiber towels ($50).

abiserz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX
Country flag
I used to work for a land rover/jaguar dealership and all the cleaning products were Meguiar's, so that's what I use to wash the civic. The gold class shampoo (car soap) with a brush to scrub the exterior, and a chamois / compressed air to dry. Every few washes I'll finish it off with a quick detailer and a microfiber.