What do you think the Type R is missing?

Which features do you think the Type R is missing?

• All Wheel Drive (option or standard)

Votes: 79 25.5%
  • Automatic Transmission option

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • Heated seats

Votes: 71 22.9%
  • Sunroof

Votes: 61 19.7%
  • (North America market only) Honda Sensing

Votes: 63 20.3%
  • Factory performance parts (like HPD)

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • Power Seats

Votes: 43 13.9%
  • 5th seat in back

Votes: 44 14.2%
  • Cooled seats

Votes: 38 12.3%
  • 18/19 inch wheel package

Votes: 126 40.6%
  • Stock all season tire option

Votes: 56 18.1%
  • Alternate body style (sedan/coupe)

Votes: 29 9.4%
  • Better infotainment system

Votes: 99 31.9%
  • None, I think the Type R perfect as is

Votes: 22 7.1%

• Total voters

OzCop

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe, 2020 SLT GMC Terrain, F450 MH
Country flag
So after participating here for quite some time as well as just reading the comments of other internet people about the Type R, I’m curious if actual owners (or prospective) have the same opinion. So here is another poll that should be interesting to see - what features do you think the Type R is missing, if any? You can select up to 5 options since I feel like a lot of people would select them all if able.
It would be perfect if it were available in a coupe...hatchback coupe preferred
Sponsored

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I thought for sure I'd see a sport exhaust option for some noise! On a serious note I wish a 19" wheel package was available retaining the correct suspension geometry, I'd absolutely pay a bit extra for that
When I got my new 2019 Type R I almost immediately changed my wheels/tires to 245/35ZR19 so I could get all-season tires. Summer tires are stupid if you actually have 4 seasons where you live. The total OD of these tires is identical (down to about 2mm) of the 245/30ZR20, so I would say the suspension geometry is retained. Also, I'm far less likely to suffer pothole hell. I spent $2100 for the new tires/wheels (Flow One F4), saved 11 pounds per corner (those OEMs are HEAVY) and it rides great. I was able to unload to OEM tires/wheels for $1300, so that was OK by me. I could have saved them if was into the track day thing, but that's not my deal. And non-summer tires last a lot longer.

I used up a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ in 25,000 and TireRack DID give me a warranty adjustment of nearly half what I paid as they are supposed to last 45,000. I drive pretty hard in the mountains of North Georgia and Western North Carolina a lot.

Honda Civic 10th gen What do you think the Type R is missing? Type-R-crop-small

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
i had lane watch on my 9th gen si. It's ok for what it is i guess. I didn't really care for it.
The asymmetrical mirrors left to right bothered me also lol.

Honda supposedly didn't put the lane watch on the left side because you wouldn't and shouldn't really be looking to the right where your infotainment is to see whats on your left. It's not suppose to replace looking over your shoulder to lane change but to assist you in lane changing.
If you put your mirrors outboard a lot more, you will completely remove your blind spot and never need look over your shoulder again. A car passing you moves from your inside mirror, then into the side mirror (in both mirrors for a while) and by the time it leaves the side mirror you can see it through your side glass in your peripheral vision. Works on left and right.

I had the right side camera on my previous 2014 Si Coupe but never really used it because if you adjust your mirrors correctly, there IS no blind spot to worry about.

Attachments

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
If you put your mirrors outboard a lot more, you will completely remove your blind spot and never need look over your shoulder again. A car passing you moves from your inside mirror, then into the side mirror (in both mirrors for a while) and by the time it leaves the side mirror you can see it through your side glass in your peripheral vision. Works on left and right.

I had the right side camera on my previous 2014 Si Coupe but never really used it because if you adjust your mirrors correctly, there IS no blind spot to worry about.
yes i know about adjusting the mirrors. I have it set perfectly for my self. I been adjusting the mirrors that way for years like you explained.

I had a 9th gen si also and i never cared for lane watch as i said in the quote you posted.

The general public however is different. Not everyone driving around has their mirrors adjusted correctly and i don't mind techs like BSM and lane watch not for myself but for other people. If they lessen the chance of them getting into an accident with me, i'm all for it.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
I'd say it should come with 19s and option for 20s. Where on this planet can you drive with 20s and not worry about potholes?
On a track :) i totally get what you are saying. I am very lucky that mine is not a daily driver so I can mostly pick the roads I drive it on to avoid the nastiest ones. I do know I am constantly switching my eyes from looking well ahead down the road, to right in front of me, looking for road problems to dodge.....When I have to purchase new tires, I think I am going to get 240/35/20's. I have read about folks here getting those with no rubbing issues, and that will give me a smidgen more protection, compared to the rubber band thickness of the OEM's.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I'd say it should come with 19s and option for 20s. Where on this planet can you drive with 20s and not worry about potholes?
Florida the twenty mile commute I do there’s no potholes aspect for one and that’s in my work place parking lot

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
When I got my new 2019 Type R I almost immediately changed my wheels/tires to 245/35ZR19 so I could get all-season tires. Summer tires are stupid if you actually have 4 seasons where you live. The total OD of these tires is identical (down to about 2mm) of the 245/30ZR20, so I would say the suspension geometry is retained. Also, I'm far less likely to suffer pothole hell. I spent $2100 for the new tires/wheels (Flow One F4), saved 11 pounds per corner (those OEMs are HEAVY) and it rides great. I was able to unload to OEM tires/wheels for $1300, so that was OK by me. I could have saved them if was into the track day thing, but that's not my deal. And non-summer tires last a lot longer.

I used up a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ in 25,000 and TireRack DID give me a warranty adjustment of nearly half what I paid as they are supposed to last 45,000. I drive pretty hard in the mountains of North Georgia and Western North Carolina a lot.

Type-R-crop-small.jpg
Also jumped to 19s asap with the NSX wheels and AS3+, agreed that the ride is so much better. How does that mileage warranty work? They just give you credit back for the next purchase? With regards to suspension geometry I was more referencing the offset of the wheel to minimize torque steer

I'll be doing another trip through western NC at the end of this month. Super excited

OzCop

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe, 2020 SLT GMC Terrain, F450 MH
Country flag

Type-R-crop-small.jpg
I don't know about you, or what you consider driving hard in the mountains, but I simply would not do it on all season tires if you are an aggressive driver in that environment. But we all have our own thing, so this is not intended to criticize...have fun with your Type R, that is what it is about...

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I was considering the 245/35 option but not being able to recalibrate the speedo is an issue. Ohio cops and traffic cams :(

On a track :) i totally get what you are saying. I am very lucky that mine is not a daily driver so I can mostly pick the roads I drive it on to avoid the nastiest ones. I do know I am constantly switching my eyes from looking well ahead down the road, to right in front of me, looking for road problems to dodge.....When I have to purchase new tires, I think I am going to get 240/35/20's. I have read about folks here getting those with no rubbing issues, and that will give me a smidgen more protection, compared to the rubber band thickness of the OEM's.

Mike_R19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 Type R, '05 Corvette Z51, '10 128i
Country flag
I elect you add "Larger Fuel Tank" I swear this thing has a tank smaller than a motorcycle's.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Cooling

Marketed and designed for Track use but overheats easily on the track lul

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
GiGi Hadid in my passenger seat

fk8.kl

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR FK8 SGP
Country flag
I wished they added the function to be able to customize the driving mode ("individual" mode) instead of the fixed comfort, sport and +R. I would like to have the flexibility to play around with settings e.g. having sharp steering, sharp throttle response with sport suspension. :)

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Also jumped to 19s asap with the NSX wheels and AS3+, agreed that the ride is so much better. How does that mileage warranty work? They just give you credit back for the next purchase? With regards to suspension geometry I was more referencing the offset of the wheel to minimize torque steer

I'll be doing another trip through western NC at the end of this month. Super excited
With the Michelins they just issued a credit to my credit card, no muss no fuss. Reading the Continental warranty however (I'm running the DSW06 now), it looks like you have to buy another set of Continentals to get the warranty adjustment. The math was simple. Price paid * (45000 - 25000) = credit issued. You have to have all 4 tires worn down to 2/32 evenly.
Sponsored