MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
No, it’s the same. Maybe a little more potent. Read this article to get a better idea of what is going on:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/fuel-tips-adding-additives/

I MAY still have the old charts I had kicking around somewhere, but good luck finding them. My goal was that I had an ECU for my VW Passat that was tuned for 93, and all I can buy in my area is 91. I ended up trading a guy for his 91 tuned ECU, which was lucky, because you need to mix up GALLONS of this stuff to make any meaningful difference in Octane rating. I wasn’t willing to pay $30-40 a tank just to get the power that ECU was rated for…

A single quart bottle simply can’t do what they want to make you think it can.
Okay, but did you also read the comments section? Somebody states this:

I have always liked the Torco booster, its one of the few that has actually hit what 98 pump and 103 race gas can do. Gets spendy to use all the time though.

I don't know if that's a different product (like if booster is different than accelerator), but given that this isn't just an $8 booster this also might be more legitimate than just a 1/10th octane boost.

But yes, I may need to use more than ten ounces to achieve the rating. It would be much better if California just allowed for 93 octane.
Sponsored

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
I’d take comments like that with a grain of salt. That being said, this Torco stuff specifies using more if it than normal, if not to the quantities really needed. I was going to say it’s too bad they don’t mention their ‘secret formula’, but then I remembered they need to list a little thing called a Material Safety Data Sheet…

So it’s pretty much pure Trimethylpentane, also known as isooctane, basically 100 gasoline. By comparison, Toluene is 114 and Xylene is 117, IIRC. So you can do the math in mixing it up with a set amount of 91 Premium to get 95 or whatever amount up to 100.

But it would definitely feel better. I notice a difference just in running 91 over 87, though it’s not huge. Being able to take advantage of 95 or higher would be noticeable. But 91 is enough for me for street driving on a cool evening! It also doesn’t get mixed with Ethanol here, which helps mileage.

Hercules Rockefeller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic hatchback
Country flag
Since I'm in west Texas, I use regular at Costco, it's top tier and it's cheaper than the other stations around here. When I'm back home in Florida, I use use Mobil or Shell, especially if the Shell is affiliated with Circle K as I'm part of their fuel rewards club and get 5-10 cents off per gallon.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Usually I feed it WRX's, Mustang's, some BMW's for dessert...LOL

Lately I have been using Casey's 88(E15), until I get my clutch replaced again(doesn't hold the torque), and flex fuel kit installed.

sjmonomane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I usually get gas at either a QuikTrip near my house or a 711 near work. I use 87 at both stations because I really didn’t want to use anything higher until I upgraded the car and put a tune on.
Sponsored